Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Abandoned IH dumptruck, need some help IDing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OrangeCrushin, Nov 18, 2010.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

All my cars are off-topic at this point, and I dont post pics of them on here, and unless its something that pertains to the topic at hand, I dont even discuss them. that doesnt mean they are "inferior" or "crap", they simply just dont belong on this group. A couple of them are cars that some of the guys on here would consider "cool", that doesnt change the fact that they dont belong here. The fact that some stuff slips by doesnt change a thing, if someone is posting off-topic stuff, and someone says its off-topic, be a man & suck it up. Its right there on the front page of the group. I didnt make the rules, but I agreed to abide by them when I joined, and so did everyone else. Really, its pretty straight forward. Theres no surprises, no one was lied to at the door, no false pretences, its right there in black and white when you sign up. Thats where I copied & pasted it from...

2. Toner283

Toner283

How many of you guys would have your panties in a knot if he had started with "bought an old dump truck, turning it into a ramp truck to haul my FED". Or would you be on board with it being a cool project.

I agree with one of TexanIdiot25's earlier statements. The HAMB is a vast well of knowledge and the best way to tap that knowledge is to ask a question. How many newer HAMBers do not post up a question for fear that the older more experienced guys will jump all over them for it. If a question or thread is too off topic then the mods will either lock the thread or delete it entirely. Happens all the time, that is the mods doing the job that they are here to do. The self appointed "forum police" on here seem to think that they are helping keep the faith and keep the HAMB true to it's intent by bitching at anyone who posts something that does not match their view of on topic. In my opinion they mostly come off as being a bunch of whiny dicks with nothing better to do than complain. Same with the guys who always cry about the lack of punctuation in a post or bad spelling.

If TexanIdiot25 was asking about a mid 70's IH dump truck, then sure jump on him. The truck in question has been ID'd as a mid 50's truck, well before the cutoff date for the HAMB.

I for one am interested in seeing if he can get it running. Old machinery always seems to be tougher and better built than newer stuff. I would bet that as long as it is not seized solid, it will probably start with a little work.

Sorry for the rant but hell, some of you guys whine worse than my four year old.

3. OrangeCrushin

OrangeCrushin
    from Austin, TX

Toner- thank you.

4. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Yeah. That's because it would be used for hauling drag cars or hot rods. Not trash to the dump. I'm all for getting it running if he has permission to mess with. And I hope he does get it running but seriously it's not on topic.

5. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Wow, another thread going to shit from the hamb-o-lice. If it offends you, DON"T FUCKING LOOK AT IT. If I was looking at a project like this, this is probably where I would post such a question. The people here are the ones who I would think would have the answer, who love to resurrect long dead American iron. Maybe he wants to get it running so he can use it to power his 20's Graham Page hot rod, that would make you whiners start creaming.

Answer the question if you can, or KEEP MOVING.

I would start by soaking the cylinders with oil or diesel every few days, then break it loose. That is about as much as I can add. I for one would like to see if you can do it. I'll follow along.

6. Whats that growing in the distributor?
    That thing hasn't run in so long all the grease on the motor has petrified and fallen off.
    Rattlesnakes may be living in the oil pan.

Pull the drain plug and see what comes out.

Very cool, traditional or not.

7. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

Like Roy Scheider resurrecting the old truck in Sorcerer. Cool man, do it.

dka

8. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

do it up who cares how legal it is or isnt

9. 47Ford - 1.5Ton

47Ford - 1.5Ton

And then here was is wrong with hot rodding........

The nose in the air culture.....

The guy wants to find out more about an old IH truck...... why not tap the reserves of knowledge...........

Oh and PS.... my 1947 Ford 1.5 ton 'non-traditional' build....... well that thread has 57,000 views on it and 415 replies...... MAYBE.... JUST MAYBE..... theres a few fellows here who have an interest....

I'm not saying.... but I'm just sayin..... probably time to remove the stick.

PS: Put some diesel in that thing down the cylinders and run it.... if not, get some more pictures and put it in the memories bank to look back on in a couple decades.....

~M

10. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

If I wanted information about an old dump truck, I would go to the AHTS (American Historical Truck) forum, not a traditional hotrod forum. You would be welcomed with open arms and have access to way more information about the truck.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yeah, let's strictly enforce the rules and see how many more people can be run off. Maybe even go back through every post that was ever even slightly off topic and delete the post and the user.
    That'll teach 'em!

12. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

That would cut the members in half...at least! Most of the people bitchin probably don't even own a "traditional" hot rod.......Just sayin.:rolleyes:

13. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

The engine is likely a RD450. I've never seen a 501 in a single axle truck, but there's not much difference in them externally anyway.

If points, plugs, and wires will get it running, good for you. Otherwise, be advised you can build an all aluminum big block Chevy for less money than it costs to fool with these damn things. IIRC, the distributor uses old 6 cyl GM parts and they'll do okay on J-12 Champion or equivalent plugs. Hard to remember with any certainty because i've made a real effort to forget everything I ever knew about them :D

We were in the crane business for about 35 yrs, and some of the ones we had from the late 60's and early 70's had 501's in the carrier. Honestly, they were tough engines for gas burners, but the carburetors in particular are a never ending source of problems once they get a little age on them. The body of the carb wears at the throttle shaft and every other place where there's any motion, way worse than any other carb I've run across, and trying to rebuild one is a waste of time. I finally made adapters and put big center pivot 2 barrel Holleys on the ones we had. That, and getting rid of the governor, another major source of air-sucking and poor running, did more than anything else to get them to run decent. We did find a source for the OE carb and governor unit at one time, in the late 70's IIRC. In the $1500 neighborhood, so we decided to pass :(

Even 25 yrs ago, parts for these engines were sky high and hard to find. As soon as one had any major ills, we pulled it and replaced it with a diesel. Today, about the only way to find one that still runs good is in an old fire truck. Mostly because they've not had enough miles on them to wear all the impossible to replace parts.

Based on overall appearance, plus lack of hood and air cleaner, I wouldn't spend the price of a set of plugs and points on it myself. Back at the time when this truck was in use, people used them till they were used up and no longer worth the cost of that next repair. I doubt it's healed itself since it was parked :)

14. 1952henry

1952henry

Good points, it was parked for a reason, most likely mechanical!

15. 47Ford - 1.5Ton

47Ford - 1.5Ton

Says the guy who has started the following threads titled:

Truck build idea

Binder project

Help identifying Dodge panel

Canadian truck flattie

For the tractor guys, some cars too.

Right on for the 'traditional car' maang :confused:

Oh.... and 1971BB427

I hope your joking about deleting posts.... because I guess your user status would be deleted too with that 1971 Big Block Camaro.... nothing screams Anti-HAMB like a 427 Big Block muscle car......

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

17. barry wny

barry wny

First log truck i used was similar although twin screw, no redeeming qualities. Someone swiped the heater cor & radiator & bat 40 years ago. Borg Warner compressor is still there and I imagine both tanks, I had a portable Briggs & stratton powered compressor with those components for skidder tires... otherwise It's yard art and I don't see how an archeologist can damage it further. I have similar items myself. If I saw someone with a little red wagon aproaching with a battery, gas, oils, tools... get some beer (lots) chair & umbrella, whatcha going to do instead , watch the Buffalo Bills? Trouble is, toss down a can of WD, dig out your condensers, shitty old wires and plugs... next thing you know you are involved under the hood and beer just gets warm. If it fires, brop a big fin rock on the pedal and leter go IMO. So would that be a wasted day? don't think so.

18. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Wow, you went to a lot of work for a put down, must have your panties in a wad about something I said. I was suggesting to the op a better place where he could have access to the info he was looking for. Nothing more. I don't suppose you bothered to look at ALL the posts I have made which also include helping a lot of other rodders out with parts, titles ect. over the 6 years or so I have been here.
    We have a lot of truck threads, talk about other interests like tractors from time to time and one of the longer running threads is on COE trucks. I obviously don't have a big problem with that.

19. 52RAM108

52RAM108
    from 76564

from what I've been told by some of the local old-timers, them IHs were bought new and driven until they reached 'basket-case' status, then parked &/or sold for scrap. There's one at the local ready-mix plant, nice & shiny, but hasn't been run in years because of mechanical diesel injector & brake issues in the neighborhood of $2K in parts alone...as Dad put it, "it's plumb wore out and there for show only...the guts were left in it to discourage anyone from trying to drag it off cuz it probably weighs 10 ton and the brakes are locked up".

as for all the hubbub: (rhetorical question) <RHETORICAL question>what exactly is a traditional hot rod? I recall someone's sig that says "this is hot-rodding, not paint-by-numbers", and I find that statement emblematic of the HAMB. There are many flavors in the hot-rod world: cars, trucks & "other". I am not a big fan of every type of rod discussed & shown on this forum, but I admire the creativity & execution of an idea. As for stuff I don't like, I keep my trap shut and let people live out their dreams cuz it ain't my dime they are spending. :cool:

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Well yes I was joking, but what does my user name have to do with my posts? To date I've never posted anything here about my non-HAMB friendly Camaro. I've seen a lot of user names here that have absolutely nothing to do with traditional hotrods, or even cars for that matter?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  21. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Well guys, I do believe this bullshit has gone far enough. We all apparently have differing opinions on what is traditional and what is not. Can we just go back to talking about rods and customs? One post should not put a forum as great as the HAMB up at arms with one another.

If he wants to mess with someone elses dumptruck let him. If he has permission to mess with it, great. I hope he does get it running. It would be cool to get and make a car hauler out of it. No sense in letting this get between each other.

22. stev8

stev8

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010