Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is the hamb responsible for $500 heavy axles?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D.SCOTT, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

(and take 10 times longer to sell it)

Very well said!:D

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Actually it breeds reproductions. No parts are reproduced until the rarity gets the price up to where it is cost effective to reproduce. Often that freezes the price of the originals. Look at the price of spindles. They were going nuts until the repros came out. The guys that don't care buy the repros and that reduces the upward price pressure. I saw on here that they are reproing a heavy axle look-a-like now. It's easy to tell the difference for someone that cares about that stuff.

3. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

i wish bodys would have gone cheaper because of repops they make now.... shits still ridicules .

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I truthfully think that the Hamb could explain the big bang theory ,I wouldn't blame them for the axles ,Supply and demand

5. I believe the repro market sets the lowest price for original parts but doesn't necessarily slow down the price increase of original parts. It also gives the owner of OEM parts bragging rights. Availability of repro body panels also increases the price of original bodies as to making them easier to repair.

A Brookville 32 body starts at what, $24,000 now? That hasn't made any positive effect in the price of an original, it just may have made the lowest price higher for an original.

6. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Yeah I get it, and don't get me wrong, I love Fords and the parts my forefathers used as much as anyone. In this day in age using those super cool parts, and bodys, etc. is expensive, because more people want that stuff...as previously established "supply and demand". My point is that you don't have to spend ridiculous money to build a cool, high quality hot rod using vintage tin and parts. To build a car for the love of building, for the love of cars and this tradition, not as an investment or status symbol. That being said, if I did have the money I would no doubt be building a fat fendered Ford coupe with all the goodies. But I don't, so I'm happy as a clam to have a 40 Plymouth. :D

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I never spend over $200 on an axle, and for that price it better be dropped too

8. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

supply and demand is the reason...like everything else

9. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

post a pic, let's see

10. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

on the other hand i`ve had a bunch of hambers send me out little but necessary parts for zip.............thanks go out to all hambers

11. Bought a real nice one off a friend last year for somewhere around $300 -- he could use a little cash, I could use an axle for "some project some day". What the hell - every somewhat rare early Ford part costs money. We all like it when we're on the "selling side" of the situation :rolleyes:

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

Please indulge a little digression from the actual topic here,....

Just wanted to address this,... I really love 1932-1934 Fords the most, and have gone after them,.... But if you really love a Chrysler Airflow, Studebaker Dictator, Nash Metro,.... Whatever,... Build that car!, The 32-34 Fords are the cars that really trip my trigger. And I have been fortunate enough through the years to have owned a number of these cars.

A lot of guys prefer Model A's,... thats cool,.. But it seems, the cars I am interested in, have always been desirable,... And have NEVER been cheap.
    (relative to whatever economic situation we were in) Sometimes you accidentally find really good deals on them.

If you have a vision and a passion for your 40' Plymouth,... Thats great, and I am genuinely excited for you, And look forward to seeing the finished project,.... But If you look at it and think to yourself,... Geezzz, I really want a 32 Ford,.... Find and build the Ford,... They will both be just as much work. IMHO

Now,...
    Back to our regularly scheduled kibitzing. :D

13. twofosho

twofosho

Had someone tell me the 30-31 heavy was the same as a 32. Truth or fiction? How close, if not the same?

14. Harms Way

Harms Way

30-31 Heavy ? :D:D:D:D:D:D

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more Hamber related piece to add to my list of things to volunteer for overtime for. That might just be worth working four Sundays this winter for. Nice looking axle Jim and I don't give a riippy doo daah what axle snobs say anyhow.

16. ?? Never seen or heard of a Model A Heavy Axle. 32 only

17. twofosho

twofosho

Model AA

18. titus

titus

Ive boughten lots of them and never paid over $350 for them, ive paid $15 each for 2 of them, $50 for one, $75 for one, and numerous ones from $100-300.

One reason i think stock undropped axles have gone up in price is that the choice of getting a axle dropped is more readily available, theres more people doing it, and that i think is because of the hamb and probably from the post i did long ago about a dropped axle jig me and a buddy built, maybe maybe not but it seems like alot of guys just popped up doing axles everywhere not too long after my post, there still was mor drop doing axles and one other company doing them but those options just didnt seem to be known about, i shared the pics of the jig and how we did it so other do it your selvers could do it and have fun doing as many aspects of their build they could, i still get pms about how the jig worked and i generally help them work thru it or get em my number so they can call me and i can help them work thru it via the tele, i just talked to another hamber the other day about a axle jig hes building.

so i think that effected the price of axles, they were no longer undropped axles, but cores to be dropped

JEFF

19. 117harv

117harv

Here are pics of a 31 AA axle and the bones that fit it. Also pictured is a model A axle with A bones although they are off of an AR chassis and are thinner in the clevis area than later A bones. I milled and rounded the AA axle to accept standard round or square spindles, i just need to sleeve the king pin bore. I had a 32 heavy axle and set it on top of the AA, the wishbone,king pin and heights are all dead on. The size is abit bigger and of course the wishbone mounts are thicker 2 5/8" with a 3/4 bolt instead of the standard 2" and 5/8" respectively. The modified AA axle now weighs the same as an unmodified model A axle...DAMN thats alot of letter A's!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  20. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

If anybody else is making their X-Mas list and has SO-CAL stuff on it let me know! I can either ship it or you can get the deal from me and pick it up directly at the main store in Pomona if you want to look around and take the tour.

21. Harms Way

Harms Way

I really don't believe the stock 32 Heavy axles being bought now, will be dropped, I really like the look of them in stock configuration,...

If you have to blame somebody (which I don't) about the popularity, and price increase,... I think the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of Done Spencer and of course those waskely wabbits at Rolling Bones. Shame on you,... look what you have done ! :D

22. solid

solid

I blame all the guys on the salt after ww2. Alex and socal, hot rod, hop up, pete and jake, barry lobeck,the shifters and the burbank choppers. The rodders journal and the Jalopy Journal/HAMB for making hot rods and said parts so damn cool and fun.

Everything fun costs $$$$$$. If i needed, or wanted one, I would spend whatever i could afford to get it. That's what HOTROD guys do. The guys wouldnt be selling them for that price, if somebody wasnt buying them. So blame supply and demand.

Besides, they are being repopped now, everybody knows the repops are better;).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Over the last 40 years of having deuces I've had quite a few 25/50 dollar deuce big beams which I have passed on to others to enjoy. Now when I needed one for my gennie roadster I ended up with an average price on the 2 I had dropped of 350 dollars. I've sold CE, Super Bell, Magnum and So-Cal axles thru my shop but there is nothing like the pair of big beams that 296 V8 dropped 3 inchs for me. They are the real deal. I think I'll just hang the spare on the wall rather than selling it.

24. Harms Way

Harms Way

OK,... Thats it !,.... I blame Henry Ford !, He made them so cool in the first place, Dag Nab It !,..... Who would ever think, these individual parts would ever cost more than the entire "Brand New" car in 32 ? :)

25. titus

titus

Actually we are dropping 32 heavy axles still all the time, and people call me looking for them all the time also and want them dropped, the last batch we did we dropped 5 heavy axles, so i wouldnt say that is true, ive usually got one undropped one around for the special project that needs one, i see it both ways.

jeff

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, I admit it. I did it. Me alone. Ya see, I don't have or really aspire to have a Deuce right now. Too many Packards. Now talk about price? Ever price Packard shit? Holy goat feces!! Therefore I figured I could single-handedly create a secret sub culture of Deuce and other popular early Ford stuff that would pay and trade amognst themselves at extraordinary rates but only occaisionally sell to "outsiders". This would make some of the most easy to get stuff become very high priced and seemingly hard to get. It took almost 20yrs to achieve my goal. I must say I'm proud. I mean really, I couldn't get $25K for a clapped out 32 packard coupe body at all and all of a sudden my bent for the damn things is finally afforable. Sadly over the last several years I've become very fond of TJJ and the board and I never thought it would mutate into the financial hardship of my bretheren. My pride is now shame. This thread has forced this confession. But on the bright side, all of you hoarders are now sittin on a small fortune. My plan failed for some and put the screws to others. Ok, now I feel better...

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well I hope your proud of yourself young man !:mad:,.... Look at all the trouble you caused !,... Your mother and I are very disappointed,.... I want you to go to your room,.. and think about what you've done,.... And no desert for you after supper tonight !

Why,... I ,.. outt'a ,.......!!!:D

28. Really, deleting my "blame Canada" quip? It was a joke Jeff ;) we like you guys up there.

I honestly think we are seeing more heavy axles now that more folks know about them. I give credit to NealinCA, the Bones guys and other for running them and lifting their profile. Actually there are tons of early Ford parts being used more these last few years as many of us get away from ordering modern street rod equivalents. It is a cool trend I think.

29. I blame all those guys in the 40's and 50's for crashing all the 32s on the dirt tracks.

30. What he said... Not what I said earlier... :D