Register now to get rid of these ads!

How/when did you join your first car club?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63FalconFutura, Jun 29, 2010.

1. firingorder1

firingorder1

The first club I "joined" was the Bombers M.C in Riverside in th early 60s. I just kind of showed up and hung around long enough that they let me join. I'm now a member of the Road Runners. A great bunch of people. And as long as they'll have me I'll be a member.

2. aircoup

aircoup

16 years old ,in high school DEVIL,S DARLINGS SONOMA CA,

3. In High School (1961) a couple of us that had cars started "The Strokers" CC. Lasted till we graduated, then disappeared. Fast forward to the 90's. Joined the National Street Rods local chapter, Pontiac Oakland Club International, National DeSoto Club...all at different times and various local affiliates. Infighting, back stabbing cliques, etc, etc, turned me off. I now hang with a few of the old farts from my local town that have nice cars in various stages of finish. No club, just get together @ the local Drive-In on monday nights, park off to the side, and watch all the young roosters. Nice thing about being old and scary and driveing a HAMB friendly Rod, is that you fit in just about anywhere and can just sit back and watch. "Thanks, but no, I don't want to join your Club. I've been in a Club"...

4. My father knows NOTHING about old cars.

When I was 12 one of his old friends from hig school would pick me up to go to club meetings with him. It was fun for 10 years or so but I eventually got out.

I love my Bandits though!!!!

5. moparjack44

moparjack44

Maybe not legible, but this NO CLUB - LONE WOLF plague should say it all:D

[​IMG]

6. Car clubs are gay

7. Der Kobblers Car Club formed in 1958 in Jamestown N.Y. I jioned around 1973/4. My memory is a little cloudy!!! The club is still active today and even though I live in N.C. they let me be the "Southern" connection!! I made there recent show over the Labor Day weekend and was treated to around 500 cars!!!!

8. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

I am an original member of the Over the Hill Gang San Bernardino formed in 1973. There was originally 2 Chapters, 1 in Berdoo and 1 in San diego. There are now 32 known Chapters in the US, Canada, and Australia. Still going strong after all these years.

9. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I 1952 when I was 16 yrs. old. My mother heard there was a Hot Rod club forming on the radio, the Lehigh Valley Timing Assoc.. Some of still get together once a month for breakfest and brough the club back to life. No more racing lust a lot of bull shiting.

buikwag, I also belong to the Over Hill Gang Of Pa. since 74.

10. firingorder1

firingorder1

No club wanted you huh?

11. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

Hardies_opener_008.jpg at birth....kinda, my dad and 5 of his friends started the milwaukee "No Club" in 1979 as a joke, it died out in about 1990. when me and 5 of my buddies turned 16 we brought it back to life now we have about 15 guys that we hang with. Most of have pre 64 cars a few have muscle cars. The year cut off is 72. No club stand for.

no prez
    no dues
    no meeting
    no motor
    no trans
    no money:D

12. What time is the meeting?...............No fu*king way, I quit......!

13. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

1974...Tri-County Vans.The vannin' craze,what can I say.Aahhh the memories.

14. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

A few years ago in Austin myself and another friend were laughing at all the fake Fonzies that were very clearly not that into the actual cars, when lightning struck. It was on the spot that we formed what might be the most exclusive car club ON EARTH!

THE EUNOCHS! There are only 3 and just 3 there shall be!

Car clubs are reeeealy stupid (especially if they all dress alike). Ours is just more stupider.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  15. hotdamn

hotdamn

made a phone call to 2 guys that got it like I did and we started the Iron Lords :)

16. I joined the local Hot rod club (Papakura Rod & Custom Club ) when I was 13. I think it was my mum's idea. I guess I was car crazy at that age. Those guys were in their late teens and early twenties. Not alot of hot rodding going on but I would go to the clubrooms (rented garage) every Saturday and watch those guys drink like crazy. One thing I remember was the bathroom walls completely covered with naked girly pics, awesome! Got to attend alot of shows, rod runs etc. Good times!

17. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

no meeting in our club! wanna Join?:D

18. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

In 1966 was working in Han's foreign Auto salvage and driving a 64 VW bug, a customer ( old enough to be my dad ) talked me into navigating a Road Rally. I had fun and joined Gopher State VW, which was the start of a 40 Road racing avocation. I still have my club jacket.

19. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Joined Wisconsin Street Rod Association after one of their yearly Corn Roasts as an associate (no qualifying pre-49 car owned). This was back in about 1997. Am now an officer of the club. Still no qualifying car so I guess they just needed someone to fill a couple of positions...Club Reporter, Secretary, Model car contest chair! I've seen that car in your avy, Noclubjoe.

20. 2000 Explicit Content....started by one of my buddies in Tulare, Ca. We all had older cars, mine was a '56 Chevy, everyone else had some kind of Muscle car. We thought we were cool till we found out there was already a club with that name.....that and the fact that it was a stupid name made the stickers on our cars only last about 8 months hahaha!!

21. Hell , I wanna start my own chapter. Where do I send the non-money?

22. At the age of 63 I joined my first CC, the Crossmembers CC which is a world wide christian group of hot rodders who believe in salvation through Jesus Christ and try to bring that message to our fellow rodders. We have a social group on the HAMB called the HAMB Chapel. Check us out.:)

Old Patriot

Yes, I'm a Christian! Is that going to be a problem?

H.A.M.B. Chapel
    CrossMembers CC

23. GoBettie

GoBettie

Love your story!

24. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

25. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

haha nice! i can send you a plaque if you want!

26. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

The first car club I actually joined was the Hamb and the second one was The philadelphia modifiers which I left after 3 years ,This is the only club you need,,,,,,,,,Need parts ,Got questions ,Meet cool people ,This is the place and the only carclub you need......

27. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

when i was about 18 i had a pretty badass 57 chevy, this was about 7 years ago and there wasnt many 18 year olds doing the old car thing. so a club guy came up to me at one of my first shows and was telling me i should join his club he said they all get together and talk about old cars and work on each others rides, it looked like a great way to learn alot of shit. so i asked what all was involved in getting in...

then he started talking about the rules.......

and as most 18 year olds would do, i said

" rules? your fucking crazy, later weirdo "

28. Joined my first club in 1975. One of the best around for the first 20 years. Use to be a close group of guys with a good set of by-laws. Meetings were every Tuesday night and members helped each other with their projects and capitalized on each others strengths etc..
    Rule #1 is you gotta be friends with each other to have a good club. About 1995 many members began to forget rule #1 and it began to go downhill. A dominant member with high senority began to think it was "his club" and started to dictate how things were going to be done, would chastise those who did not agree with his actions and would recruit members that did not even own a car. About 4 years ago there was a big split and over half (about 15 members) left the club for greener pastures. Some like myself had a bunch of senority. It used to bother me as I was a very active member. Not any more. The club nearly folded which would have been a shame.
    The club I now belong to is very small, only 10 members. We are all good friends and would do most anything for each other. We are pretty active, host and sponsor a couple of the largest shows here in Indy every year. One indoors and one outdoors. No club officers, and only have organized meetings every couple of months. Works good for us.

29. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Belonged to three different clubs over the years...... sour grapes!
    Now I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me as a member!
    Nertz on clubs.

30. moparjack44

moparjack44

Betcha the jacket don't still fit :D?