Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects So I bought a International L120.............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kuztomklaus, Nov 5, 2010.

1. pool

pool

I'm surprised that the frame rails look as straight as they do, but remember they were used hard on the farm. I have yet to see one that didn't have a little bit of a wave in them especially if the didn't have a rear bumper. They are a easy fix and are pretty close to a standard piece of channel iron. pool.

2. Pool, do you by any chance have the measurement between the rear frame rails?

Klaus

3. pool

pool

Klaus, The measurement between the framerails at the crossmember is 33 1/2 in or right at 86 cm. My crossmember is slightly smaller lengthwise though I assume for movement.

4. Searcher

Searcher

I had a 52 IH for about 10 years back in the 70's. it was an R120 3/4 ton with a 4 speed and granny first gear.
    I actually made a living with it and I'm still trucking today with a Kenworth.

I only have a few slides of it ( like a negative ) and need to figure out how to enlarge them or have it done ?

This pic was on a camping trip in the Sierras.

Good luck with your 52.

Attached Files:

5. art.resi

art.resi

There is a book "truck a love story" by michael perry where he restores a 1952 l series korn binder.

6. As far as the positive to negative ground conversion, just do it! The only things that are olarity sensitive are such things as radios and electronic tachometers which are all negative ground.

The starter, lights, heater motors, and everything else won't know the difference.

JG

7. POlatiry!!

By the way....you have a darling wife!

A real treasure! Hang on to her.

8. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I love the old IH's. My uncle has my Grandfather's old '54 R-110 that he's just letting rot into the ground and won't sell. Been trying to get it for the last 22 years. Good luck with your project.

9. scratchtown

scratchtown

i love them old corn binders my old man had a 64 i loved that old truck i was around 12-13 yrs old he turned a corner passenger door flew open i damn near fell completly out scared the shit out of me well enough said love the truck good to see the wife involved

10. Searcher

Searcher

I remember I mounted an old " Bud vase " ( vase for a flower made for cars ) on the post between the back windows on my 52. It's a perfect spot for one. Your wife would probably like that idea.

11. puckm2

puckm2
    from oregon

Love those IH's

I'll throw a pic of my 3 door travelall in (not the best), taken while on a our summer vacation in the Hells Canyon area . My current project is a 1934 c-30. Up until last month my daily driver was a 62' c-100 sadly had to sell it.

I can't wait to show your your wife's action shots to my wife.

Good luck with the truck.

Attached Files:

12. silversink

silversink

Copy (2) of mixed 051.jpg

mixed 445.jpg
    here are a couple of the one I have. As was said Binder Books and old IHC websites will have all the Info you would ever want to know. I've had my 1948 IHC kb1 for 23 years and have loved every min. of it.

13. Well Searcher! I think she might be upset if I put a bud vase between the rear windows, cause that will mean I'd have to take down the gun rack she just put up! Ha ha just kidding!
    - She's more of a tomboy than a girlie girl!

Klaus

14. We had a productive day yesterday in the garage! Learned something new (again) about those old binders! The freakin' wheels on the right side never heard the saying "rightie tightie lefty loosie" It took me a while before I got those damn wheels off!!
    [​IMG]
    Grille off! Dammit some of those bolts were rusted, but hey they been there for 60 years!

[​IMG]
    Dash almost apart and the "air grabber" should be working now!

[​IMG]
    I almost look like one of those stickers "Kilroy was here"

15. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Kilroy WAS here! Good to talk to you today. Glad you guys are having a good time with the Binder. I don't need one but you never know!

16. Zartman456

Zartman456

Looking good, I saw the truck at JSM before it left. I have a 53 L120 that is getting close to being done. Looking forward to updates

17. You can actually go from 6V to 12V and retain the same starter. Polarity won't make any difference and the starter will crank like crazy with the 12 volts. Just use common sense on how long you crank it so it won't get too hot. It will probably turn the engine over as many times in 5-seconds as the old 6V starter did in 10-seconds.

Your 'voltage guage' on the old binder is actually an amp meter. All it does is indicate which direction the current is flowing. (To the battery or away from the battery) So the voltage and polarity won't make any difference. If it indicates wrong, just switch the wires.

The gas guage is a different story. Polarity won't make any difference, but voltage will make a difference since the gas guage is actually a voltage guage with a variable resistor for a sender. It is possible to put a voltage drop resistor in the wire feeding the gas guage sender, but I've never had much luck with gas guage accuracy after doing so. If the stock temp guage is electrical, you will have the same problem if you go to 12V. A small auxilliary guage pannel for modern gas, temp. oil pres, etc. would probably be the easiest and most accurate solution if you do go to 12 volts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  18. We got some more work done this weekend, even though it was damn cold! Around 35 degrees!! I hare winter already!
    [​IMG]
    The rear crossmember had to go since it was pulled completely out of wack!
    [​IMG]
    Cindy started welding the holes for the old "Trucker mirrors! They also have to go.
    [​IMG]
    While I started to work on the cab corners. I used some scrap metal from box of goodies. it came from a '38 Chevy head light bucket and what do you know, it almost fit perfectly! What do you do when you don't have an English wheel!

More to come!

Klaus

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  19. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Any updates on the Binder?

20. Not yet! Just came home from AZ where we spent New Years, but we'll be back in the garage the 15th working like mad.

Klaus

21. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Any updates? Looking to start ripping mine apart in the next few weeks.