Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is the hamb responsible for $500 heavy axles?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D.SCOTT, Nov 19, 2010.

1. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I have 4 right now
    There all off ebay
    None were over $380
    Step on up "big dogs"
    [​IMG]
    Obvious spam photo

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well,...
    Here's a heart breaker for you guys,... I was at a tractor swap meet last year and picked up a complete 32' front suspension for the exorbitant sum of $30.00,.. Yes it was under a angle iron boat trailer,.... (so,... how did I do ?)

3. You fucked that seller, that thing was worth $60 in scrap!:D

4. 117harv

117harv

Definately an aftermarket axle. I'd rather have a dropped original...but I'm an axle snob. :)

Neal

Here's a signature if there ever was one.

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

I actually talked him down from $50.00,.... Then, he laughed at me for buying it,.... Sooooo I felt really bad. :cool:

6. I know I have learned my lesson. When I built my 32 back in the 70s I gave away the axle/wishbone and the firewall and center crossmember. Then sold the car dirt cheap. I never thought they would have gone so high; out of my price range now.I won't give away anything anymore I will let my kids sell it when I croak.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I spent $400 on one last year and it's nice and straight. It also came with spindles, backing plates, drums, bearings.....and it was on the HAMB. Deals are out there but it just happens that deal for '32 parts are fewer and further between.

8. :rolleyes: glad I left more for the snobs out there

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks Josh, you're so thoughtful.

10. I know. Hey wait, I bought it from Vaphead - he wouldn't have steered me wrong would he??? It's still trad right?

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Sure, he's t-RAD!!!

For me there's really nothing better looking then an undropped '32 heavy axle and a V8-60 tube axle comes in a close second (and a dropped heavy in at 3rd) but it really doesn't detract from a build when an aftermarket axle is used. I mean who gives a fuck if you're running a original Heavy when you have magnesium and blowers to drool over.

I don't HAMB is not responsible for the prices.....FORD BARN IS. Hahaha!!!

12. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

$680- (shipped to you- or in the lower 48) for the Drilled & Chromed forged dropped axle. The chrome is unbelievably nice (show quality) and used to be an ADDITIONAL $1,000 until a great deal was worked out with a local plater.

13. It's my fault....You can blame me....

14. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

You two looking to double your money? I'll bite. :)

Hell, I'll even adjust for inflation.

15. See, it's just inflation because they keep printing money. Why, a dollar's only worth like 80 cents these days, so guys need you to give them more to buy the same goods.

(seriously, check the exchange rate against Canadian these days, we're about even money.... I still see 10-20 year old signs here where NY State wants to discount it 20%)

16. better buy those 32' parts now while the economy is allowing them to "float" back onto the market! sure is tough deciding on car parts or rent!

17. Thanks, I needed that 5 minutes of nose blowing to clear out the coffee!! Timing is everything.-MIKE:D:p

18. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Couldn't agree more. And they really aren't "car people".

19. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have a 32 heavy on the Zipper car and just had a stock A axle dropped 2 inches at Joe's Speed Shop for less than the price of a used 32 heavy. Prices are all over the ballpark.

20. Flat Power

Flat Power
    from New Jersey

$400-500 seems to be the going rate wether its ebay or not. However i picked up a chromed heavy axle at the Engllish town swap meet this year for $100.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Yep I remember saying the same thing when a full fendered original roaster had a price of 10,000.00.:D They must be on drugs.:D I'll never forget the restored black 50 Olds coupe that was in 3 straight issues of Hemmings because the 2500 asking price was insane...then. Get used to it.

22. Rem

Rem

I'd pay $500 for that. Don't forget you're getting me a price for one of these and a Model A one!

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boo-fuckin-hoo. This shit costs money. Shop around for the best deal or try it the old way and be creative. B-J's at fault? Wealthy builders/collectors at fault? If any of the price cry babies had to sell their shit I expect to get it at or below your cost. If not you're a hypocrite. How about you piss n moan about the cost of fuel or N2O. Bitch about the price of groceries, not hotrods. It's nobody's fault. It's yours alone if you don't shop around or swap/trade/barter for the stuff you want. Or here's an idea. Let's all give our shit away for 10cents on the dollar and start over in really low price market. How would that be? Would it curb some of your sadness?

24. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

can I brag too?...just got a complete nice '32 heavy axle/wishbone/spring/perches/'40 spindles/tie rod/'40 brakes for $500...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. High prices breeds ingenuity.

26. 35hotrod

35hotrod
    from Duvall, WA

Highlander, RTFO! If ya wants ta play, ya gots ta pay. How hard do ya wanna play?

27. filthy frank

filthy frank

im glad i dont have to put all that over priced crap on my mopar ! i like seeing ford parts on fords, chevy on chevies,and mopar on mopars !

28. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

That was the response I was lookin for!
    I have an idea; use something different. I was looking to build a fat fendered ford, but then found a 40 Plymouth...1/5th the price of a ford in the same condition. It will be equally badass and more unique. I probably see (20) 1940 Fords for every (1) 40 Plymouth. Think about parts the same way.

29. retromotors

retromotors

Great point!
    The high prices for '32 Ford stuff are the result of everyone trying to run with the pack.
    Damned if I'd pay through the nose just to be like everyone else!

But that's just me.:cool:

30. Harms Way

Harms Way

Why,... NO,... No you cant,..... :D