Register now to get rid of these ads!

Free Labor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3's&8'sHigh, Nov 19, 2010.

1. 3's&8'sHigh

3's&8'sHigh

I'm looking to learn everything that I can, engine work, metal work, anything that relates to a car, I want to know. I have basic knowldege. I'll sweep, clean, organize, etc. I have a job and don't need the money. I'm not looking to start a shop or make any side money, so i'm not trying to steal trade secrets and move on. I can work weekends or on some weeknights. Again, I just want to learn. I'm located in NH.

Thank you,

...did i mention that i just want to learn?

2. lorax54

lorax54
    from Denton, TX

Buy yourself an old car...and rebuild it. Best way to learn.

3. 3's&8'sHigh

3's&8'sHigh

Have one...but I can only learn so much and can only do so much to my car. Car doesn't need welding...doesn't need the engine rebuilt, just yet. I don't know...I just want to build and broaden my skillset I guess.

4. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

Good man!

A guy who admits he doesn't already KNOW everything is rare. Once you know everything, you can learn nothing else.

Noone can teach you how a bolt feels just before it breaks and turns a 20 minute job into a two-week job.

You can, however, learn the principles upon which an automobile operates. Learn exactly what each stroke of a four-stroke engine does.

Learn the difference between spark-ported vacuum and manifold vacuum. Learn what the numbers on the back of a quart of oil mean.

A monkey can be trained to change a switch.

Learn why a switch would need to be changed.

This isn't the KARATE KID and there is no master to wax on wax off you.

Cars are simple machines that haven't changed hardly at all in the last century. Learning why a part should be changed is 30% of it. 40% of it is learning how to change that part: What tools to use, what parts to remove to gain access to said part, how to NOT BREAK the parts you remove to gain access to the bad part. 30% of it is attitude: You either have it or you don't..... Working on your own shit is one thing, and can be rather enjoyable. That's what the old duffers out here are- shade-trees.

Working on cars for a living is quite another. You pit your mind and strength and soul against a car...giving it everything you have to solve its' riddle. You dream about them. You bust your ass over them for people who think you're a "grease-monkey" and you're dishonest. You work in shit conditions with broken, dirty hands and a sore back. And then, when you've pitted your very being against some fat bitches Volvo, who hates and disdains you for what you are...and you SOLVE her problem so her and her fat kids are safe and happy......

....the dispatcher hands you another work-order.

Be really freaking sure before you buy your tools, my friend!

But, if you ARE the right kind of guy.....100K a year, easy.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

5. Deuces

Deuces

Best way to learn is to stick around and don't be afraid to ask questions.. That's how I learned! I got myself certified way back in '86 in three areas...
    1. Engine rebuilding
    2. Tune-ups
    3. Brakes and I passed with flying colors... :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  6. tony31a

tony31a

Every car needs welding and engine work.;)

7. Deuces

Deuces

When it comes to welding stuff, I leave that stuff for the pros.....

8. Who teaches automotive and baking at the same establishment? :cool:

9. Good one...

LOL

10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

mabey try shops in the area, might be able to land a good gig too. The other thing is stick around here, you will learn a lot if you try to learn it, and then try it for yourself, on HAMB i learned to hammer weld, and a almost everything i know fact wise

11. Deuces

Deuces

You never baked tires before???...... You should learn.. DOH! I fixed it... :D

12. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

just be patient and let it happen. Dont force experience to happen. Just be yourself and be honest to the car.. It will talk to you and tell you where to go. Ask questions and Listen well. You will get there!

13. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

I sort of disagree. "Around here" you will learn what every half-assed fool who thinks what he says is true.

About 6% are correct.

14. Raceraidan

Raceraidan
    from here

WTF!? It's metal, rubber and glass... not a woman!!! Cars will NOT talk to you..LOL!

He didn't ask to be an expert, Roy Brizio, Hank Negley, Carl Orr, Pete Eastwood hot rodder.... he said "I'll work for free to learn stuff". Oops...I forgot... car building is a dark voodoo art :)

15. bobblehead

bobblehead

Free labor isn't free. Good luck with what you are doing, but it'll be hard to find an open door.

16. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

Oh yeah. Here is what forgot to tell you. This was told to me by an old German named Heinz Schmidt, a mechanic at a shop called Auto Haus Stuttgart in Santa Clara, CA. , when I was an apprentice in 1977-78. Heinz had been a "Hitler Youth" at the age of 13. He was captured by the Allies and instead of an M-1 Garand round being delivered into his skull...was given a chocolate bar by an American G.I. . He later became a cabbie in Montreal, and later still, a successful shop-owner in America.

"Do not treat the Mercedes-Benz like a brute animal, forcing the sparking-plug up its' ass! Instead, remember it!!! The Mercedes-Benz is a gentle female!! You must love her! TALK to her! Stroke her gently!!! Feel her hole! And only, when the moment is right, insert the plug...Gently! The Mercedes-Benz is a woman. Treat her as such!!!!!!"

I never cross-threaded another plug into an aluminum head again.

17. nummie

nummie

oh, They talk. you just haven't listened hard enough.

18. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

That's a pretty good quote.

Although tomorrow, I'll deny it.

19. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

This is very true, I often get asked by people if they can work with me for a week or two but they don't realise that while they would be gaining experience I would lose time and therefor money. However you said you would be willing to sweep, clean up etc. this would help pay for some of the time. What you have to remember is that unskilled labour (English spelling) is worth less than skilled so you would need to do several hours sweeping in fair exchange for a little instruction. If you are prepared to do that I feel sure you will find someone who would give you work experience.

David

20. Like you guys giving the guy from New Hamshire were never green and always knew what to do. CUT THE GUY SOME SLACK ! He wants to learn isn't that what all this is about, sharing ideas and information!!
    There is always someone out there with an open mind that will help you learn so keep asking , and never be afraid to try and fail . Most of what I know about tinsmithing is from the try and fail school , but guess what slowly through time you learn to produce a good product. Always reach a little further than you feel comfortable and by saying that you what to learn , you have already done that. Take care , Rob.

21. redhumphries

redhumphries

Don't give up you may find someone someday that will teach you a thing or two. IT was alittle over 2 years ago that a friend of mine called and said his bashful kid wanted to know if I would let them come to my shop and help me work on cars. I said sure may be interesting as soon as I can. Well when the rascal came into the shop the first day walked straight up to me and said I don't know how to do anything but I want to learn. I said no problem I will teach you because now you don't have any bad habbits. Well that kid now welds, fabricates panels, wires and paints alittle. She doesn't know all and neither do I but I have 40 years of experience that I can now share with someone that wants to carry it on. Yes you will find someone that will let you learn just don't get the idea that you know it all and someone owes you the chance be honest, shoot straight and be dependable and someone will help. and for the shop owners that say unskilled labor is expensive you are really correct it does cost but you can't pay for the memories of how to make simple projects until you have someone to teach. Yep I don't get to charge the normal shop rate for some of the work at first but I really enjoy showing someone how I learned to do stuff and it feels just as good at the end of the day as a pocket full of money. good luck with your search you made the first step toward your goal you asked now get out there and ask some people in your town and I hope for the best

22. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Hey guys remember the video awhile back on the guy using screen and stuff ,He should watch that first ,Thats not the way to do bodywork ,Just wouldnt want him to learn wrong ........... Im self taught and I learned from my friends .

23. angry

angry
    from ventura ca

first thing is to take a welding class some were thats the thing that will pay off the most in the long run if you want to build cars then dont be afraid to cut something up and go for it go to shows and get to be friends with the local car nuts everyone needs help i taught alot of people how to do alot of things because the were willing to help

24. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

yeah EASY !!
    whatever

25. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

to 100g at least -you won't have any time off

26. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

A top-notch Diag Tech here in the Bay Area makes 6 figures...not including side-jobs.

27. 73RR

73RR

Read the OP again, he already has a job. He is looking for a little hands on to add to a near empty tool box.
    If someone out there learned everything without help from others then I bow to them, but, since you're on the board and read (although too many have little grasp of the writing skills) you have, no doubt, learned a thing or two here.

28. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I'de be glad to bring you in as an intern. Problem is i'm in Central NY

29. budd

budd

i wish you lived a little closer, i have lots for you to do, if you want to do the work i'd split what we can sell the car for, t-coupe, 283, 4 speed, 10 bolt rear, show you how to weld, re-ring the engine, make it all safe, i have had a vehicle inspection licence in the past, come on out you'll love BC.

30. shockley_67

shockley_67

most of these replies are coming from shop owners. when i was younger (still in school) their was a guy that lived just down the road that built hot rods in his small shop on his property. it was not his paying job it was his hobbie so he would work on projects after work and on weekends so it worked out perfect for me to be able to hang out with him and his buddies and hold parts, run for tools, or beer. but most importantly just listen and they were more then happy to answer every question i had. looking back some of the questions were pretty basic but i didnt know the answer and they didnt make me feel stupid for asking any of them.
    if you are not looking to make this a profession forget trying to help the guys that are affraid of loosing a dollar while trying to teach someone they forgot what is was like when they were young and wanted the same. go and find some hobbiest that is working in his garage with his buddies and hang with them it is more fun. whats the worst that will happen end up with some new friens,great memories and laughs oh and maby gane some knowledge along the way.
    good luck to you its a great hobbie especially with the right freind to enjoy it with.
    Scott...