Register now to get rid of these ads!

House of Kolors pinstriping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BTB Rocco, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Wondering if anyone out there uses the HOK pinstriping paint. Just picked some up and wanna use it so that my customers can clear over my striping.

Do you guys use an activator? the people i bought it from were pretty useless, and had no clue.

I got the reducer, just didn't know about the activator.

any help would be appreciated.

Rocco

2. The catalyst isn't required if you are going to clear over the stripes afterward.I would make sure you are working over a well dried surface as if you make a mistake and need to wipe it off(I believe isopropyl alcohol will work)it won't harm the base.
    Be aware also that if you are using a natural hair brush(as opposed to a synthetic)the reducers will dry out the hair greatly and lead to premature brush failure.Just my experience with it.

3. metalman

metalman

If I remember right you don't use the activator if you're going to clear over it, only if it not cleared. Been a few years so I might be wrong and I don't have my HOK tech book here. Someone will chime in if I'm wrong.
    FWIW I'm not a pro striper but have done quitea bit over the years. I tried the HOK but never cared for it. I never could seem to get it to flow right, either the brush was dragging or if I thinned it enough to pull well it wouldn't cover.
    I found Pro Spray clear won't wrinkle One Shot.

4. Bluefoot

Bluefoot

if you pui harder in one shot you can clear it i always shot hoc s100s over it first, as for hoc striping paint just strip it on and clear it works great, use harder if not clearing

5. Been clearing over 1 shot with hardner for years. Just a drop of what they are using on the topcoat works well. Let the stripes dry and a few cold coats intially does the trick.