Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Old Signs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 3, 2008.

1. lawman

lawman

Love those old signs. They sure bring back the past !!! LOL
    Tom (Tired Old Man)

2. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Morning, Everyone... So very much interesting thread... Here is a couple that I liked and photographed...

On the HAMB Mid-West BBQ, that No Surf hosted last spring in Kansas... shot this old satellite dish at outskirts of Lucus, Ks, where we went to visit the Garden of Eden.. They bill this as "The World's Largest Souvenir Plate"...... great use for the old dish, huh?

Next a sign, sitting on the highway in Woodward, OK.. for their Hot Rod Cruise Night.. Great use for a pair of old doors and a moveable trailer...

Lastly, the big ATSF sign from many years ago...50s-60s..? at the Clovis BNSF Yard... Santa Fe died in 1995 with merger into BNSF.. Sign is lit up at night..in neon...working still.. A great tribute to all that worked on the ATSF years ago...

Anyway...GREAT THREAD!...duane

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  3. The truck doors for a sign is a great idea........those are also really straight F1 doors!!!! I could use them! LOL

4. edweird

edweird

this is whats left of the walterboro drive in theatre. this painting was originally done in the late 40's. its been gone over a few times over the years. the screen side and parking is now a mobile home dealership.this was a walterboro landmark for many years as it was the first thing you saw when you came into town. its a damn shame that the stupid people that run this town want restore it.i had some good times there in the 70's and early 80's and so did my parents in the 50's and 60's. i'm just pissed about the whole thing!! see pic below.

5. edweird

edweird

heres the pic.

Attached Files:

6. Check out the old Dodge Brothers sign....kinda faded
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hey RMR&C...Other door is cherry too... There is some good HAMBers there in Woodward.. I spend a lot of time up there, as I am the 2007-2010 host for the Curtis Hill Rendezvous there.. www.curtishill.com I spent an Air Force year (1969) in Great Falls.. Beautiful state!.. Have a great day!..duane

8. Billy54

Billy54
    from Houston

Outkast Jerrys garage is amazing!

9. I'll bet they have to keep those doors locked up at night so someone doesn't try to steal them! :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting the sign pics, especially the double Coca-Cola one. I've never seen one split up that way to fit all around the windows.

Your pictures are sized just right for this forum, but if I might suggest, try putting a "carriage return" (Enter) after each of your image links. This should stack your pictures vertically so you don't break the frames and you won't have to scroll the screen from side to side to see everything.

10. Hmmm, the pics are stacked and fit within the page on my screen.....not sure what you mean. Is everyone seeing the pics that way? Will try your way next time....sorry, I'm a complete computer moron!:)

11. ...and I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer myself! :eek: I'm using WinXP and Internet Explorer 8 which should be a pretty common setup, but the pictures are all butted up horizontally. It's about twice the width of my normal window. But that's not to say it couldn't be a browser issue or something in the way this forum is formatted.

Either way, don't lose any sleep over it. :D

12. At the risk of proving myself wrong, here's a little experiment with a couple pics I posted here a few pages back.

These first two are posted without a carraige return between the links:

[​IMG][​IMG]

These two are posted with a double carriage return between them, which I think will stack the pictures vertically with a space inbetween them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somebody let me know how they look on their screen, and maybe what browser and OS you're using. Here goes nothing!:confused:

13. hotrod3w

hotrod3w
    Member Emeritus

Here's a really good Ebay buy that I got this year.

Attached Files:

14. 54_BelAir

54_BelAir

Our local landmark in Belleville, IL...The Sky-View Twin Drive-In. There's even talk of expanding it to three screens! They have a facebook page too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

Somewhere in rural Tennessee.

[​IMG]

16. Claymart, your pics all look fine to me.....stacked and fit the page nice. I'm using Firefox as a browser, maybe that is the difference. Will try again...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Yours are stacked vertically this time and fit in the frame. Did you hit Enter once or twice between the links this time?

Mine look just like I expected with the first pair running wider than the window. Maybe this is why some folks swear by Firefox and others swear at IE! :D

18. Claymart - yours were stacked vertically all the time for me. The only difference between the first and second methods was the blank line between images. I'm using Google Chrome for my browser.

19. big bad john

big bad john

.......Best thread yet..........Really enjoyed......Thanks

20. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

21. Mr Mayo

Mr Mayo
    from Huff, ND

Richardton, North Dakota

No longer lit by neon, but still a cool sign.

Attached Files:

22. koolit

koolit
    from cen cal

23. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

24. ^^^^Very cool.......thanks!

25. Squablow

Squablow

Any of you old sign buffs know what this was originally attached to? I found it today at the junkyard in the trunk of a '63 Chrysler 300 which I was taking the seats out of. Looked cool, had to have it. It's fairly heavy steel and porcelainized.

Attached Files:

26. Ya done good in my book! :D If I'd have been there I might have had to have it worse than you. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that it's lettered on both sides. I can see this mounted up high on a couple of brackets strapped around a street light or utility pole on a busy downtown street. It would have been where a trolley or street car stopped to drop off and pick up pasengers. Kind of an earlier version of a bus stop sign.

27. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Vanna Whitewall in Peoria,IL.

Attached Files:

28. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Jon:

Check your pm"s

B:)B

29. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

Restored Signal station here in North Portland, OR.

[​IMG]