Register now to get rid of these ads!

School me on satin paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveohnick2932, Nov 19, 2010.

1. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I have my colors picked out for my truck but they are gloss. Can you get the same colors in satin or do you have to find another color in satin?? Or do you add something to the gloss to make it satin??

2. 7ate9

7ate9
    from Maine

You should be able to add a flattening agent to get the desired flatness.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I own a 350 Chevy.
    Who makes your paint? That will answer the question as to what you need to get it in satin finish.

4. That's the best way. make yourself a test panel start with the recomended amount of flattening agent and then add or remove flattening agent until you get the desired effect.

Then lay into your truck.

5. terry48435

terry48435

You can get Satin clear coat at paont supplyers

6. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Thanks guys!!

I painted my firewall with the white I want when I changed motors but the rest of the truck is faded primer. Since I have a fair amount of body work left to do before its ready for glossy paint I figured I could just get some satin paint on there in the white and yellow colors I want and it would finally have some paint on it. I know its sounds like im lazy but what the hell :) It would look bitchin and I wouldnt have to bust my ass getting the body ultra perfect like I would for a glossy job.

7. voodoobuick

voodoobuick
    from geelong

flatting agent leaves every little stain.,bird shit ,acid rain finger prints, ya better off using 2 pac chassy paint or low sheen.

8. Clark

Clark

There are several ways to go about it. If you have a metalic or pearl color i would use a flattened clear like PPG's flex and flat. If you have a non metalic color I would use a single stage paint and add flattening agent. This can be done by your paint suplier to get an accurate mix. I've had them do the same ratio they use on bus hoods.
    Clark

9. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

10. Racrdad

Racrdad

Can anybody else verify this too? This is good info to have if that is the case. I hadnt heard this before.

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Any "satin" or flat paint is harder to keep clean, stains, etc. over glossy paint...
    This is due to being more "rough" or porous.....thats how they get there low gloss sheen...

12. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Just shot this with Flatz Great stuff go to TCP or google Flatz they have a lot of colors now

Attached Files:

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

The black on my wagon is base coat without the clear coat. Looks satin to me.

14. BadLuck

BadLuck

thats what mine is too... Silver metallic basecoat, no clear... but it IS a pain in the ass to clean... like was mentioned before... bird poop, bug splat, etc, you have to be very careful cleaning off or it will leave a dull spot... looks cool, but i cant wait until shiny paint!:)

Attached Files:

15. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

single stage with a 40% gloss mixed by your paint place or flat clear over a base

16. Clark

Clark

Yes ...fingerprints and some other stuff show up on flat paints buts it's as easy as a squirt of simple green to wipe them off.

Now bugs are a little tricky to get off. I've had the best luck using a car wash with a litle preasure.

Up side is dust doen't show.

My truck was painted with flex and flat and it looked good most of the time without washing it...and it sat out year round.
    Clark

Attached Files:

17. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

nice pic Clark...artsy ..I like

18. caletcb

caletcb
    from alabama

if you use the flattening agent in your clear you will not be able to buff it or it will bring back the shine. plus you will also void your warranty on the paint as per ppg rep.

19. redshoes36

redshoes36
    BANNED

Go to Tractor Supply and check out low gloss black enamel. Its about $ 32.00 a gallon, the hardner is about $ 12.00 apint. I have it on my 36Ford 3 window coupe.

20. TERPU

TERPU

My goodness, use the shiny paint. Especially if you went to any work at all to make the body straight.

Tim

21. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Yeah after all this talk I might as well. But its cool to hear about how everyone is coming up with their bitchin satin paint jobs!

22. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The degree of flatness varies with the amount of flattening agent added and how the paint is applied. Flattener tends to do very little to a certain point, then at some point a little more makes a significant difference. Flattening urethane is that way too, but a lot touchier about percentage. To avoid uneven flatness, flattened paint needs to be applied evenly, not too wet, and not too dry. The paint really wants to be glossy, so that's what you are battling. Compared to other paints, flattened urethane is harder to apply well. Lacquers and acrylic enamel are easier to apply but not as durable. For reasons I don't know, out of the can flat clear urethane is easier to apply well than paint you flatten yourself.

Some flatterers are chemical and some are mechanical. Mechanical flatteners contain powders like ground glass, talc, clay, etc. Most flatteners arer a combination of chemical and mechanical agents. Regardless of the flattener type, and the type of paint being flattened, flattening reduces a paint's durability. Based on my experience with flatteners, the more durable the paint you start with, the better the durability when flattened. So the best option is flattened urethane. No matter what paint you chose to flatten, before spraying something important you would be well served to practice a bit. That is especially so with flattened urethane.

Flatteners tend to lighten a color a bit and add a cloudy/muddy look to the paint. The more the paint is flattened, the more that is so. That effect is more pronounced with flat clear than when the color itself is flattened.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

As I posted earlier, the black on my wagon is base coat without the clear coat and has a satin finish. I've had no problems cleaning it or removing bird droppings, hand prints, etc. as I use a spray detailer and it doesn't leave flat spots.

24. Bull

Bull

I've mentioned this product in other threads -- as have other HAMBers, but we have just what you need to care for your flat/matte finishes. Our Wipe Down product is a quick detail spray that won't add a gloss to your flat/matte finish.
    [​IMG]

And be sure to use coupon code HAMB15 for 15% off of your order!

25. lehr

lehr

I painted this with single stage and a ton of flattener.

Attached Files:

26. greezy63

greezy63
    from So-Cal

anyone herd about Satin Black Rust-Oleum? I have herd that it is very durable and looks great.... any experience?