Register now to get rid of these ads!

First build... am I nuts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Patdoody, Nov 5, 2010.

1. ironpile

ironpile

You will certainly learn a lot by the time your finished,good luck and don`t give up

2. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Cool...I might have some other junk laying around that you could use, too...let me know.
    Good luck with this coupe! I'm working on a '30 coupe body now, too...

3. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

[​IMG]

Anything is repairable, all you have to do is put a little hard work in.
    This '33 was in worse condition before I started, I made and welded in every part visible in this photo Except the yellow part of the door frame and and part of the roof and even that had to have dents dressed out.

4. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Forgot to say I would love to get my hands on a car like yours

5. Patdoody

Patdoody

I can def use anything I can get my hand on, I am starting from scratch. I dont even have a parts stash to dip into if I wanted to.

Thanks Mindover... If I had your skills it would help out quite a bit, hopefully I will learn some on the way

Messed around in the shop the other day, got side tracked after reading the homemade tools post, and spend the morning making a little 12" pressbrake.
    [​IMG]

But did get to play with the model a some...
    [​IMG]
    This is my beer drinking dog lol. her name is bella.
    [​IMG]Got the cowl back together somewhat. Still figuring out how everything actually is supposed to go together. and I think some of my dimensions are off..
    [​IMG]
    also got some gauges as well

6. pitman

pitman

Hmmm, a NOS A-model pick-emup. The Cam Snappers out of Newburyport referred to these as "New Hampshire" pickups, maybe they were unaware of the warbaby term?
    Getting some subframe metal from a place like Brookville or Snyders? will help in squaring it all up. Then the patches will be able to locate properly with (some) ease.

7. indianhead74

indianhead74

Nut's ? NO, It's only time and money. What, ya wanna die rich and miserable, Myself, I'm goin for broke and happy. Indy

8. fitty_2

fitty_2

Man that sucks sorry oh just kidding at least it started 'upside down'!!

nater

9. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

I have heard coupe/pick-up's referred to as doodle bugs as well.

10. Patdoody

Patdoody

Yeah I was thinking of buying new subframes just to square it all up... but thet really aren't in the budget.

11. Patdoody

Patdoody

Saved my self a few dollars and decided to attempt to save the old door hinges. It actually worked out alot better than I thought... There was no way a straightblade screwdriver was getting those old bolts out tho.

I welded a scrap bolt to the old bolt and got most of them out. I only had to drill and retap 3 holes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats about 87.50 worth of door hinges there =]

12. One mans rusty upside down heap...is another mans treasure!!!!! Enjoy!!! R~R

13. Von Psycho,You are tooooo funny!!!!!!!That would be tough buildin everthin upside down.....What a hoot! I wanna party with YOU some time!!!! R~R

14. Patdoody

Patdoody

Re-skinned the passenger side door, since it seems impossible to find decent coupe doors that aren't a million bucks.

Sorry for the big photos the hamb wont let me attach them to the thread for the thumbnails, it keeps giving me an error.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New inner door bottom.

[​IMG]
    test fit
    [​IMG]
    some welding
    [​IMG]
    some grinding
    [​IMG]
    from the inside, I primed the back side and inside of the door before I put the new skin on.
    [​IMG]
    how shes sitting now, I am gonna work on the quarter patch tomorrow that is just kinda wedged in place. I had to reference on how far down it went until the door was done and hanging..

15. Very cool project. I think you are nuts...but most of the guys behind the really cool cars are. :)

I was out in the garage tonight practicing my welding skills. Maybe in a few years, I'd have the guts to tackle a project that requires some patch panels.

16. Patdoody

Patdoody

You know that is how I taught my self to weld. I just went at it one day on an old vw rabbit I bought and by the time I was done the thing I could weld sheet metal pretty damn good. Only way to get good at it is to do it. I used to go trash picking for anything steel and would weld all types of weird stuff up, then cash it in at the scrapyard to pay for more tools and toys.

17. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

in that case, your are NOT nuts,..you have the skills to fix that body. looking forward to the updates on this build

18. Patdoody

Patdoody

Worked on the one quarter panel the other day:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Took her out for some fresh air...
    [​IMG]

Plus I needed to desperately clean and sweep the shop out it was disgusting in there.

Hopefully I can kick it into high gear soon, and have more exciting updates.

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

Holy cow... it's coming along excellently and quick too!

20. Go for it!
    The 1950 pickup was the first one for me.
    Ya I had done some small stuff with engines rebuilds, but not the whole thing from the frame up.
    It humbles you and gave me a better understanding to just what it takes to build it wright

21. Patdoody

Patdoody

The fact that I am laid off is helping this project move a little more quickly. Wait till my funds dry up lol..

Thats the truth. I was all about the doing it quick and dirty, "its a ratrod" mentality. But my damn "pride of craftsmanship" mentality always gets the best of me. I am at least going to patch up all the rust I can and make it something I can be proud of. Its def not going to be any show winner. And its not going to have the shock factor some cars get, like "I cant believe that thing even drives". But I will enjoy it more knowing how much work went into it.

22. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

excellently? is that a word? haha just giving you shit:D car looks great!

23. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

good post keep it up!

24. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

COming along nice , but your still nuts.

25. geezerkat

geezerkat

That's a decent job on the pickup-izing. Both coupes we did had the quarter beads cut away in order to stick a box on the back.

26. Patdoody

Patdoody

yeah I will give them that. It is definitely savable... I think they had plans of de-pick-up-izing it some where down the road. And obviously someone who had fab skills did it.

27. 510madmav

510madmav

looking good already.

28. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice job on the doors you do nice work ,

29. ... hopefully you can get the body done soon, so i can stop climbing over model a parts to get to my 38' hahah..

30. Patdoody

Patdoody

If you ever actually made it to the shop you'd see how I cleaned everything out the other day!