Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Abandoned IH dumptruck, need some help IDing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OrangeCrushin, Nov 18, 2010.

1. OrangeCrushin

OrangeCrushin
    from Austin, TX

I don't I said anything about trying to own it, driving it off, restoring it, or any of that. And because I know the people who did the rock arrangement and why they did, is why I had no plans to drive it out of there. So, get off your high-horses please, I don't think I came here with "hey guys, I want to drive this truck home and restore it. Can I have your permission?"

Thank you to those who have been helpful IDing the truck and PMing info, etc.

The seat frame is a simple design, can be easily remade. I have drafting skills if you want a drawing to go off of.

2. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Ahh let the guy have some fun already, Everyone has a gripe about everything around here nowadays. For those of us that dont know, what and where in Austin is the greenbelt ? Ive never heard of it, Is it public property it looks like a cool palce to take a walk and have a smoke break. I wouldnt mind maybe checking it out on a\our next trip to Austin maybe.

3. OrangeCrushin

OrangeCrushin
    from Austin, TX

Public, it's a set of trails (mtn biking, jogging, etc) that run around along Barton Creek. The area the truck is at is well off the main trail, and behind the neighborhood I live in, though not apart of any of the home lots. It's a 2 minute walk from my house. It was there well before the land was developed.

If you're into mtn biking, the main trail is quite a bit of run.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=30.27....270838,-97.820962&spn=0.000614,0.001321&z=20
    (copy and paste)

Nice '51(?), my dad has a '50 Styleine Deluxe in storage, waiting a resto.

4. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

High horses? From the way it read, it sounded like you thought you'd just be able to go fire it up, tow it off free and clear. We were saying you might want to research wether or not you can just take it. It could be owned by the city or county or whoever owns the land.

But if you can get it the good luck and really cool truck, Dump truck or not. I think it could make a neat car hauler or "Dump" truck.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  5. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

How come nobody ever walks by the crap I got in my yard and helps me get it runnin?

6. F&J

F&J

You know, it would be "priceless" to see the looks on joggers faces if you were sitting in it, running. Maybe say something like ...

" could you tell me where the nearest gas station is ? ...my tire needs air"

7. OrangeCrushin

OrangeCrushin
    from Austin, TX

It's a general response to the unwarranted posts here, I made no implications that I was going to just drive it off. I simply asked for help identifying the model and the parts, and stated that I was going to see if it could start for shits and giggles.

I asked the HAMB because you guys are an excellent source on shit like this.

I'm quite certain by the state of the truck that it's left the mind of the legal owner long, long ago. It's not on private property (which would be my neighbors' if anything, who don't mind), and it's far off the main trail that the city does maintain.

8. Moondog13

Moondog13

I say you get that bastard running. :D

9. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

To me, none of that would matter, not yours means not yours unless you have some kind of permission from the owner or land owner.
    But if your bent on this, get a big breaker bar on the crank before you waste a bunch of your time. I'd bet 1000 to 1 it's stuck tighter than a drum.

10. yea the R190 sounds good

and

maybe a 450 engine, massive connecting rods that exit block with immense force, the usuall death of them is a rod exiting through a big hole, not a easy engine to find or repair cheep:eek:
    the smaller engines are more fixin friendly

but these have a really good cab along witha lot of the 40 and 50s internationals

11. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, TI25;

For some more info on parts interchange, hopefully cheap, easy-to-get-etc., try:

binderplanet.net
    binderbulletin.org

IH fiends, all ! :D .

Good luck getting it to fire...

Marcus...

12. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

It looks like someone already tried to snag the steering wheel.
    How hard is it to find out who really owns it?

13. 100% Matt

100% Matt

"Ran when parked"

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

OH man, you dont wanna mess with THAT shit...Look what Lady Macbeth did to that Duncan guy. They'll cut your nuts off and make a necklace outta 'em!

15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Then run over some hippies with it! :D

16. OrangeCrushin

OrangeCrushin
    from Austin, TX

Not really the point of this discussion, I'll take what ever punishment I get for starting up a decades abandoned truck.

Need a 2" socket 1st, bigass crank bolt.

I need to clean up the frame VIN tag, and record it. My uncle is a cop, I'll see if he can run it.

Ohh, just dump them off in my back yard. :D

nrg- thanks

17. Toner283

Toner283

Definitely need pics of when/if you get it running.

Good luck, I think you're gonna need it. :)

18. 54 savoy

54 savoy

yes,you can jump start a 6volt with a 12

19. baldego

baldego

R series 185 thru 220--had big six called Super Red diamond from 372 -406-450-501 cid these were the heaveist duti IH trucks of the day.they were the city garbage trucks in my hometown produced 1952 or so till the mid 60,s

20. baldego

baldego

R series 185 thru 220--had big six called Super Red diamond from 372 -406-450-501 cid these were the heaveist duti IH trucks of the day.they were the city garbage trucks in my hometown produced 1952 or so till the mid 60,s

21. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

What? An International dumptruck can't be hot rodded in a period correct manner? Think BIG hot rod pickup.

Or think of it as the basis for a vintage race car transporter. Drop a belly tank lakester on the back and take it to shows that way.

:cool:

22. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Nah. Can't be. Wiccans use Studebakers and Desotos.

;)

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So get your panties out of a knot already.

24. Moondog13

Moondog13

Aaaaaahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

25. 5window

5window

No, he's right. Nice TRUCK. Futile project and not for a hotrod site. There's already 5-8 pages of threads generated a day here,it's too hard to follow now. Find a truck site.

26. fairlane2k

fairlane2k
    from Oregon,USA

I like the old truck personally...
    IMO..If you dont like the subject of a thread,dont click on it....
    This site is a immense treasure of information... and I love it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  27. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I find this sort of funny. It is a wondering thought in ones mind that they need to imply or try. There's always a few who never read the begining so therefore get lost in transaction. It's a dumptruck. Nothing new just another dumptruck. Get over the fact that he wants to start it. Who cares. If he wants to try and start it and it's on his neighbors land so be it. Yeah there's tons of recycable parts here but honestly nobody here wants it bad enough. It scrap to even the most hardcore hot rodder and traditonalist. Such a shame but truth. Good luck with starting it.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup, 100%, no room for argument. I am always baffled by guys who join a board that says "Spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs to hoodlums world wide..." right on the header and then bitch when someone points it out. By the way, I happen to really dig fifties vintage heavy trucks. The fact that I (or anyone else for that matter) like them does not, in any way shape or form alter the fact that they are completely off-topic for this board.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  29. Truckedup

Truckedup

There's a lot of non traditional stuff here like milk trucks,mail trucks,S-10 frames and even the Willys in my avatar.A 5 speed manual tranny or TH-350 is also non traditonal.

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Looking at the color of the inside of the carburetor I am going to guess there is as much chance of that thing starting as me wining "Dancing With The Stars"