Register now to get rid of these ads!

pontiac ohc 6?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pinkchrome, Nov 18, 2010.

1. pinkchrome

pinkchrome

anybody know anything about these motors and what are they worth?

Attached Files:

2. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Had the HO version in a new 67 Tempest... Went awesome... shifted at 6300.. Drag raced the snot out of it.. Not one issue.
    Worth wise.. go on a Pontiac site such as Pontiac Years Form and poke around.. Is it running?
    Pontiac Slim

3. AcadianKid

AcadianKid

4. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

I believe they were 250 cubes. OHC and they had two versions. A 2v and a 4 v. I'm thinking forged crank too.

They wen't very well, especially for what they were, but they came out at the wrong time. I think if they would have brought them out about '70 or 71 they would have done better, considering insurance costs and rising fuel. They didn't last very long, but they are still around. They should cost more than a 250 chevy, but they aren't made of gold either. 200-400 for good rebuilder; i would think.

Adam

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

'66-'67=230
    '68-'69=250
    No forged crankshafts, but a few adventurous individuals put 292 Chevy cranks and custom pistons in them.

6. pinkchrome

pinkchrome

well ok let me show you what its sitting down in,im trying to decide wheather or not to remove it and sell them seperately or leave as a whole and before anybody says it, no i didnt put it there ,and yes i know

Attached Files:

7. Stukka

Stukka
    from SoCal

Separate. They guy who wants that body, doesn't want that engine and visa versa. You'll sell both quicker that way.

8. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Seperate them. Cool motors if they run. They have oiling problems tho if they were not maintained alot.

9. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Good hotrod-able 6! As you've been told, just carry a extra waterpump!

10. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

put 106000 on mine b-4 a rebuild.... never had a prob but as mentioned I changed oil/filter every 2000 miles

11. Deuces

Deuces

My uncle had one in a '68 FIrebird.... He had that car for years and never gave him problems....

12. I'd split that up, those early Corvettes are worth a small fortune and most of the big money guys are going to want to restore it and throw the OHC 6 away anyways.

But it will help you if the engine runs and you can show people that it will. Some of the parts for those are unobtanium now, there are no replacements.

13. squirrel

squirrel

friend just bought one, complete, turns, for $150

14. pdq67

pdq67

I want to say that the oiling problems are caused because the hy-lifters a mounted stationary in closed end bores and adjust the rockers that then ride on the cam lobes. They don't work like the usual way right off the cam lobes up and down motion.

This causes dirt in the oil to not circulate in and out like the oil normally does so gunks them up, leading to valvetrain problems!

Right change the oil & filter frequently and add good old MMO and go!

And the Q-Jet carb'd jobbers have stock, cast-iron split exhaust manifolds on them!! Way cool by me.. I've only seen one and it was propped up on it's pan sitting in the back of a garage years and years ago.

I'd love to do a hopped up sohc'd 292" truck engine!!

He, He!! I bet the sucker would run HARD for a 6-banger!

Only other 6-banger engine, imho that I would like to mess with and it is the 275hp/Vortec dohc EFI variable cam timing on one cam 6-banger that came out. I wanna say that it was only in P/U's and maybe SUV's???

Wiki GM engines and you will find reference to it.

pdq67