Register now to get rid of these ads!

sprung or bagged

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ASPHALT RIPPER, Nov 17, 2010.

1. dude hey personally the chevy in my default is bagged and its great. if your gonna do it spend the extra money and do everything right. many people hate bags for one of three reasons, they believe there too expensive, they dont know how to install them, or cant find someone to do the work. now the guys with traditional cars that arent bagged is bitchin. but you get so many looks when you pull up at a car show and you lay frame.

oh and one more thing have the air be dumped in the trunk instead of outside the car, gets rid of that noise when you press down. just my opinion but bags are great.

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I don't have anything against bags, but I do think some people automatically go to them in order to give a car more "attitude" when it's lacking, which may be a bad thing..

Then again plenty of fine cars have bags and it fits.

I think if pulled off right a car can be static-dropped and have plenty of attitude.

3. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I'm hearing more comments these days about how bag installation makes folks cringe because of how invasive the installation is on the old cars. It also seems that the lawn mower look in general is following the rat fad into the sunset. So, my vote would be sprung, but I've never really been a bag fan, so......

4. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I'm not opposed to bags in general, but I run my cars sprung-lowered.
    I bought an Airlift-kit from someone on the Hamb couple of years ago, mainly to see if it would fit my Chrysler easily. Not a chance, unless I 'Chevyfied' the front-chassis so I sold it a month later again.

I do would like to install bags on the rearaxles on some of my cars, if alone for when I'm driving with people in the back, or the ease of driving up my carlifts so they won't scrape on it.

Static ride-height;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dirty custom 40

dirty custom 40
    from new mexico

Put bags in the back of my 40 ford coupe.Was against it but wanted to put a 32 gallon fuel cell in trunk and not enough room to z frame for that size tank.Gotta admit it improved the ride.Havent had any trouble at all in 32000 miles.This is my daily driver and it goes all over the southwest and east of the mississippi.Usually with a trunk full of crap and a full tank.I established a ride height and leave it alone.About 50 psi.I went with a 6 inch diameter bag i think. Found on ebay from a guy in arizona for less than a hundred bucks new.Like the other guy said.Make sure they come in contact with NOTHING.Most of my previous semis and trailers i had were air ride and were virtually trouble free.I spritz some armor all on them from time to time.Honestly cant say if it has any positive effect but it cant hurt.Its awful dry where i live.

6. You can always tell who knows entirely nothing about airbags.....the guys that have the sentance "bag are for..." stuck in their head and can never provide any info on it.... theres a big differance between opinion and advice.

You know for a while I had my shoebox lowered with springs in the front and airbags in the back which is good if your going for that taildragger look. Another option that you can try is manual switches...this gets rid of the use of solenoids and is real simple setup...compressor/Tank/manual switches/and bags/line...not a whole lot of electrical except compressor.The only downside is its a slower system.

spring/rear bag combo
    [​IMG]

bags all away around
    [​IMG]

and up
    [​IMG]

7. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

But do you know WHY you get those Looks ?

'Cus it sounds like you pulled up & Blew a Tire .....

8. no de soto mine was set up right, the dumps are in the trunk. one second your at ride height and the next your on the ground without anybody noticing from any sort of noise. the noise you speak of comes from the air dumps being outside the car and i hate that shit, if done right you shouldnt make any noise

9. roddinron

roddinron

I just install air shocks for that, nice simple, cheap installation, and it works great.

10. Really??? Is that what it looks like???

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is my precise experience. The ride quality on a properly configured system cannot be matched, by anything.

Take a ride in a car with real air ride, and see what you are missing:eek:

12. finnaly a page thats starting right. people dont understand a nice airbag system rides better than springs and looks cool. Thr1ll3rthanks for supporting me.

13. on my second car with air, ill never go back to a non air suspension

14. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

True!! Bags are for Weed to quote GERM.

15. What Sodbuster? that didnt make sense

16. Done a couple cars with bags. done a couple static. My current ride (51 Merc) is static drop. Both have pros and cons. Yes, air rides nice but the novelty wears off if you drive it every day. Not knocking it, just saying.

Attached Files:

17. deto

deto

A bagged system SET UP CORRECTLY is definetly a good system. It's off topic, but look at some of the stuff air ride does with the muscle cars they have at auto cross events.

That being said, customs on the deck were around before bags. They managed. And anything properly set up is gonna be superior to something hacked together.

If you properly set up a car when it is static lowered, you'll be better off than the mini trucker who offered to bag your sled for cheap and vice versa.

My car doesnt run bags and I have 4 inches between the black top and the front crossmember. Its got fairly agressive coil overs up front and bumb stops that come into play before the frame carves the road.

18. Troyz

Troyz

do what you want, i don't like seeing bag set ups on old cars. Ya, it might ride better but if you follow that line of thinking you might as well stick a Toyota motor in there too. Sprung is traditional. These pro bag posts have a street rod mentality to them...my $.02

19. Really?Postreet with bags??

..just my .02.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Troyz

Troyz

@THR1LL3R- wow, great old tech. I still feel that the systems i see being used and presented by vendors at shows today don't look or feel like anything traditional. You can ride smoother, go faster & breakdown less with new tech...but that's not what I like and the post is called "sprung or bagged" sounds like a pretty open question to me.

21. Troyz

Troyz

@special ed...wow thanks for looking at my pics! The build in my avatar is a hotrod and has been scrapped together with very little money over about three years. Almost all the "billet" on my car was created on a lathe here in town. It is not a purist car by any means & i never claimed it was. My car will be driven low, arrive at a show low and will definately never fall to the ground while making fart noises.

22. Didn't everyone have this same fight/conversation a few months ago?

I like to hear different opinions, that way I always learn something new, but they disintegrate into catch phrases and the "are bags traditional" volley. Same thread over and over.

23. Troyz

Troyz

Special Ed- you made the decision to go through my pics and have turned this into a personal attack. I simply stated my opinion, which was asked for in the title of the post. It seems like it's cool to have an opinion as long as it is aligned with yours.

24. ill vote again for air...and if it matters to the builder , yes air has been around a long time on cars not just semis

25. Gsnickets

Gsnickets

just ordered a set of bags from arrowood, I can't wait to get my ranchero switched over.

26. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I have owned several bagged, juiced, and static dropped rides over the years and have never had any problems with any setup I have run. My current project I decided to go static, it has stepped lower control arms with a coil and a half cut out of the front. The rear rails have been stepped and I am running 3 inch blocks with three leafs removed on both sides in the back.

Attached Files:

27. lakild

lakild
    from ga

how did you do that do you have any pics i'm trying to do the same on my 53 chevy

28. robleticia

robleticia

I like them both ways. I'm currently running a static drop because I wanted this car to be more "traditional" and the car is pretty low, but I will bag my next one just cause they look bitchen!

Attached Files:

29. beetlejuice

beetlejuice
    from Kentucky

I gotta tell ya. Robleticia's car changed my mind to full static. That look is super aggressive and I dig the traditional side as well.

30. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

sheesh, arguing over apples and apples, both ways are good, both have their places, its your car, do what you want with it........i have both, i love both, both have goods and bads.....air for the ride and being able to go up and down at will for whatever reason, springs for the ease and simplicity and cost.......