Register now to get rid of these ads!

Interesting short-film profile of a metal fabricator. HAMBers can relate methinks.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaygryph, Nov 18, 2010.

1. jaygryph

jaygryph
    from oregon

(General Discussion seemed the place for this, if not feel free to move or delete.)

Watched this earlier. It's via Vimeo. A short film profile of a metal fabricator. His story is interesting, and what he says resonates with me. I think a lot of members here could relate to this. Even if it's not auto specific it speaks volumes about working with your hands.

http://vimeo.com/16435404

2. customcory

customcory

That is a beautiful video, thats the best short film I've seen in a while. Everybody watch this,you'll be glad you did.:D

3. Pretty cool...I am glad I watched it.

4. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I really enjoyed that. My Dad runs a 2nd generation business. (ready to finish furniture) He took it over when he was 17. Neither my brother nor I followed into the business. I saw a lot of my Dad in that video

5. ardyboy

ardyboy

simple common sense, an honest hard work ethic and the odd visit to the school of hard knocks all mix together to project a great wisdom. I thought I was listening to my grandfather.
    cool video. eight minutes well spent

6. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Iam a proud 4th generation welder-fabricator.I am on a mission to pass this video on to as many young people as possible.My sons instructors and former boss's,car buddies etc
    I am fortunate that my son is interested and talented enough to be heading in a skilled trades direction and will mix new technics with the old stuff and will be able to quickly find work,support a family, and do the kind of things that made this country great.
    Thank You very much for sharing this!!!

7. EDGEFIND

EDGEFIND

This resonates close to home. Thanks for posting it.

Along the same lines, if interested in a good read, I suggest checking out this book:
    http://www.matthewbcrawford.com/

8. 41plym

41plym

Great Video
    41plym

9. Muleman100

Muleman100

Thanks for sharing,I like the old school fabricating stories.

10. weldtoride

weldtoride

Very well done, well worth watching. My son actually just sent me the same video the other day. The biggest kick was seeing the guy's mom in the shop, helping him out.

11. Hack Attack

Hack Attack

Awesome. I like at the end of the film....He rubs his nose with a dirty hand, fingers missing. But he still has a smile. :)

12. Pretty cool clip. Family owned businesses are a dying icon of Americana.

13. Thank you! That was a good film.

14. stinkity stoink

stinkity stoink
    from new jersey

lets bump this. That should be seen by more people

15. roadtag

roadtag

Man, what a great video.

16. Don's 55

Don's 55

Worth watching
    Honest work.

17. 3's&8'sHigh

3's&8'sHigh

Flat out inspirational....love to sit down and BS with him for a bit.

18. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

I love meeting guys like that, who know their trade and want to pass the knowledge on.

When I was doing construction management, I'd meet two or three guys like this on every project, and it was always the highlight.

Of course, I'd also meet two or three guys who were old and bitter and didn't want to answer any questions or teach anyone anything.

Those guys make me sad, 'cause all that knowledge they spent an entire lifetime aggregating will simply disappear when they die, as if they'd never existed at all.

That's kinda the same way I feel about seeing great old buildings demolished or old ships scrapped out. For a lot of people, those things were the last remaining evidence that they had been in this world, and when they're finally gone, so is the memory of the men that built them.

It's a very sad thing to contemplate, actually.

19. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

That was a pretty amazing video. He reminds me of the older guys I work with, so happy just to pass on all the little tricks they have learned over the years. I know a lot of men that age who are happy someone my age is doing this stuff because they don't want it to die with them.

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

That was a great video, thanks for sharing, it was also sad.

21. Bull

Bull

Great film. Makes me think of my grandfather, who was a sheet metal worker by trade. Wish I would have been able to learn the craft from him.

22. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

awesome video leaving a legacy to your kids or grandchildren should be more important to people. nowadays nobody wants to work hard or like he said get dirty.

23. I've never met Neil Youngberg. And I never met Von Dutch.

And yet I get the sense that, at least to some degree, they were both cut from the same cloth.

24. farmer12

farmer12

Great video, just watched it twice, even though it has been posted a while back.... Thanks for posting!

25. murpa

murpa
    from .

great film. dieing breed of men like that.he should be speaking at the high schools.

26. prpmmp

prpmmp

Just watch it!! Wife asked why I had a tear on my face(told her I bit my tongue) Pete

27. Great video and life lesson. She was as dedicated as ne was to hard work and honest labor.

28. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Wow I wish I could have watched it way back when it was posted originally. But never the less I sure am glad I watched it today. Thanks for bringing it back up. Great video!!!