Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional EFI......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eddie's chop shop, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Here are a few things I have been doing lately. We all love our traditional stuff, but alot of us also like the performance and advantages of efi. here are a few pics of some efi conversions I have done lately.

EDIT

sorry screwed up my pics, scroll through a few pages and they are some up

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

[​IMG]

Almost forgot, not a traditional manifold, but everything is traditional about B-Ville. This is my friend Donny's Lakester that I did the EFI on. It is a Toyota Supra 6 with about 25lbs of boost.

3. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

madness.....madness......mad skills! Thats Star Wars technology for most of us. I sat with an engine tuner once. he was tuning my LS1, I was completely lost watching him map the fuel curve, etc. Completely lost. You have some skills!

4. PeeVee

PeeVee

Are you using mega squirt to control it ? you have mad skills.

5. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

I do use Megasquirt mostly. I also have used a few others including the factory ecu on most of the ls stuff.

6. Very nice work and classy machining ,thanks for the pics.

7. farmer12

farmer12

Great work, how about some more pics! Looking good.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Typically i would be adamantly against this stuff, anything newer than points and carbs aint gunna be in my garage, but i have a super secret future project in the works.

Can the injectors be run under a supercharger?? Whats gunna be different? Can i put togather a setup outa a junkyard? Lastly do i need to have a crank positioning sensor or anything of that sort.

9. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

great stuff!! can I suggest that some cars have a crank position sensor inside of the distributor? just an idea to hide one in an old housing

10. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

No you don't have to have a cps

11. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Yes that is an option but you don't always need one

12. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

i think your work is great. i have thought quite a bit about how to work efi into traditional very stealth like this, just have not had the time or interesting enough projects to fool around with it. i have done a couple megasquirt projects with success.

question: how did the caddy manifold work out for you? reason i ask, is that i was interested in setting up EFI with injectors into a carb spacer and was advised by 2 experienced megasquirters (one was Matt from DIY) that it did not work out well for them when they tried it. see thread: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=35769&p=244940

i'd be interested to hear how it worked out for you. Great way to hide the injectors! Maybe see some of your tricks to hide the wiring too?

13. mpot

mpot

Very nice workmanship . . . . I'm impressed.

14. WTF? Your other stuff is nice, but why the hell would someone do this combination?

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

16. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Very nice work!!! Ever do a dry flow throttle body conversion on old Carter WCFBs or later AFB/Edelbrocks? I have been itching to do just that, on a dual quad intake with the rails hidden underneath. for my dad's '55. We're going for a traditional look, but he (a hot rodder since '57) INSISTS on fuel injection.

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Very, very nice workmanship and quite clever as well. Congrats on stretching the envelope.

Ray

18. terryr

terryr
    from earth

Neat.

I saw a few set-ups with the carbs hollowed out and the injectors placed inside.

19. Joepup

Joepup
    from Mid-Mo

Dude! thats cool can I hang around a learn how you do this stuff, AWESOME!

20. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

The caddy manifold has not been fired yet, project is draggin and the customer isn't ready for me yet.

To answer your question though.... I have done this on other settups and it has some quirks to it. Basically you need even fuel distribution and good atomization. There are some problems with putting them in a spacer like this, but alot of it has to do with airflow within the manifold itself and airflow through the carbs. If you think about how it all works whats the difference in squirting the fuel in above or below the plates? Only an inch or two in distance, but the butterfly creates turbulence which helps in atomization. You don't want the injector injecting right above a large open plenum such as a single plane four barrell manifold as the fuel is dumping into a large space with slow airflow and you don't get good atomization which means the fuel will be heavy and not disperse evenly throughout the intake. The intake design has the most to do with this problem.

Bout all I can tell you without writing a novel. Hope this helps. The guys at DIY are pretty sharp about the electronics part, but I don't know the depth of there experience with the rest of it.

Ed

21. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Because the performance and reliability of an LS1 is hard to beat. But this way we can make it look cool too. Put some Caddy valve covers on it and by the time were done 90% of people won't know what they are looking at.

22. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

If you are going to put the rails underneath you are making it direct port injection. If that is the case you can use anything on top for air doors, since that is all a throttle body is. any carb will work just fine.

23. rick finch

rick finch

Where is your shop numbnuts?

24. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

Would it be possible to hide the injectors inside of the carbs fuel bowl above the butterflys? Then it would atomize better it seems.

By the way this is the coolest shit I've seen in a long time!

25. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Yes, I want to do it direct port. See, my dad bought a complete, low mileage 350 TPI about 10-15 years ago (practically new then), to go in his '55. It has sat under a workbench ever since, but we're going to be starting on it soon. Its a speed density motor, so basically I'll just have to adapt the TPS and IAC, and a few other sensors to make it work. The angle of the injectors may not be ideal, but having the TPI driveability, but with more airflow and classic looks will be the best of both worlds. So the carbs themsevles don't have to have any mods? Thats the main part I was wondering about.

26. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Click on his website in his sig, then go to contact...numbnuts! :D

27. pitman

pitman

I've received pretty solid advice from Matt also. They do need some investigation into other apps, and I know Fran Olsen is familiar with their gear/knowledge in his Hemi work.

28. Elmer

Elmer

Here is the one I'm working on for my truck. Port injection with 4 Retrotek throttle bodies.

[​IMG]

29. rick finch

rick finch

Uh, that was a joke.....Eddie and I go back aways.;)

30. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Hey stranger wtf? Where you been hiding. Shop's off main st just north of greenback orangevale. Come by