Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mercury Charlie's 51 Merc at Starbirds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Sailor

Sailor

Damn! Very very nice!

2. fatluckys

fatluckys

Did he win yet?

3. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Just got word, the grand prize(winner of the "fine nine") went to the hemi powered roadster p/u that you can see in of the pics above next to Charlie's merc. Gary Howard said it was very nice also, hand built, full on show piece. Charlie did win his class award, award for best engine, and the KKOA award(top Kustom) so he certainly has something to be proud of. The only dissappointment was the interior not winning......everyone who has seen it in person, knows the exemplary work that Vernon McKean did. It is truly amazing and I am sure will get the credit it deserves at other shows. Congrats Charlie, Gary,Vernon and Roach. Come see the top custom merc at the Round-Up.

4. JamesG

JamesG

Is that the rpu that Pinky's Rod Shop built?

5. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

'

Yeah, that's the one. I think there are pics of it on www.pinkeesrodshop.com

6. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Tell Charlie and Gary congrats! Not sure if Roach and Vernon are up there with ya'll, but congratulations goes out to them as well. I'd say that it sounds like a huge success.

I'd like to see pictures of the RPU, if anybody has some. It must be awesome.

And what won best interior? I can't imagine what could be cooler than Vernon's interior.

7. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took some more pictures this afternoon of the Merc. I'll post some more pictures of Charlie's Merc and the muthahumpa Roadster pick up tomorrow.

Happy Trails,

Mick

8. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I had only seen his T in the past and wondered why they called him "Mercury Charlie"... This is the best reason I can think of. That car is unbelievable.

9. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Impressive Mercury! Congrats!

10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The following is the last pictures of the Merc. Congrats Charlie on the awards....

Happy Trails,

Mick

11. krupanut

krupanut

Man, I'm so happy for Charlie! 13 years of working and saving cash to finish his dream Merc.
    Nice to see it all pay off!
    Go Charlie Go!

12. Jasonic

Jasonic

If anyone wants to know who the legends of our time are. The above pics should easily give you the answers.

I feel blessed to just live in the same town as these guys.

Can't wait till I'm an old man sitting there with the grandkids telling them about that legendary Merc - Nadine.

13. Lefty

Lefty

Very nice color on the car.

I agree that the interior is bad ass. Didn't go to the show so I don't know what else was there. Hard to imagine any other car coming close to that interior.

14. mikes51

mikes51

That Merc is a real beaut. I especially like the way the rear fenders have creases and contours that flow right into the tailight frame.

Does anyone know if those sections of the fender were reworked or another part of a fender grafted on?

15. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Those fenders were reworked. Keep in mind also, all body mods on that car were done the old fashion way, in lead. Gary Howard is at the top of his game.

16. mikes51

mikes51

Thanks. Really nice work.

The other design feature I like is the bumper's pointed shape that matches the grill. Most sleds have a rounded shape bumper.

17. skullcracker

skullcracker
    from Austin

Hi All- Mercury Charlie asked me to pass on many,many thanks to all of you who have been supportive and receptive of that fabulous '51 Merc. 13 years is a mighty long time and the work of Gary, Vernon, Roach, and Charlie has finally reached the point he has been dreaming about. Especially thanks to his Austin family- EJ, Buzzard, Beatnik, Hotwheels, JVJ, Ronnie et al. Let's just say he doesn't have a lot in savings, so if anyone has some work they need done, or if ya just want to talk about Nadine, give him a call. Number is on his site at http://www.mercurycharlie.com

18. JamesG

JamesG

From carnut.com Damn fine ride Charlie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Hey Cheech ! :)
    Thanks for those pics !

Hopefully you guys will get a chance to take some pics of the Merc with the hood and trunk closed at the Round Up.

20. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Frenz,

Pictures of the Merc with the hood and trunk shut is on top of my list.

Happy Trails,

Mick

21. JOE C.

JOE C.

Congratulations Mercury Charlie! It's been a long time comin' but it was worth the wait.
    Can't wait to see it in person at the Roundup.

22. that's the most beautiful car is this planet,and probably in mars too.