Register now to get rid of these ads!

6 volt tech....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sledbuilder, Nov 15, 2010.

1. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

I was wondering... I have a 53' chevy that is still 6 volt.. I don't want to convert it to 12 volt, but i'd like to add a tach... I have seen some 6 volt tachs in the past but is the a way too run a 12 volt newer style tach, with a reducer or what ever to run on the 6 volt system?
    thanks jason

2. thundershorts

thundershorts

I will be running a new tach on my 6 volt '51 Merc project. There is a company that makes up tach packages for small aircraft applications, any voltage, cylinders, or ground. Mine is 6 volt positive ground, 8 cylinders, and it resembles the old steering column mount pods, even has led lighting, in asst colors. Reasonable too. Their site is www.westach.com.
    Fair winds....

3. MORodder

MORodder

sorry to barge in here but I looked at the westach website and they do have some cool stuff. I too have a 6 volt positive car (40 coupe) that I would love to have a tach. Anyone ever used this stuff and were they satisfied? The only bad thing I see is that it says it is a 2" tach..?? kinda small

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You could always get glasses :D

Ray

5. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Here's a picture of the Sun "Football" tach in my 6v positive ground '40 Ford. I had the sending unit unit converted to solid state by Williamson's Instruments. Works great.

[​IMG]

6. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

I know sun has brought back the half sweep tach.. with out the tach box.. just woundering if you can add something inline to lower the voltage...

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Electricity doesn't work that way. You want to increase the voltgage, not lower it, unless you want to convert the tach internally to operate on 6 volts. You can get 12 volts from a 6 volt system by using a voltage inverter. Like most things in life, there is no 'free lunch', you will use more power than the tach itself would require to compensate for the power absorbtion of the inverter. That is not a particularly big deal though.

Ray