Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sunliner-Ranchero

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greaserzombie, Nov 16, 2010.

1. greaserzombie

greaserzombie

Has anyone ever seen someone put a sunliner glass top on a ranchero? I have seen the edselchero, but I thought a glass top would be super smooth. How about a mercury ranchero phantom? Ya could pretend it was canadian, and make some bs story!

2. 'Mo

'Mo

How about this beauty, built by Jack Simon in 1958?
    Lots of subtle work. (Check out those headlights.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  3. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

I have never seen this....very cool....

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The "glass top" Fords were called Skyliners...Sunliners were the convertibles.

[​IMG]

55-56 models were based on the Crown Victoria. Pretty rare and expensive.

I remember a family with a black and white 54 Skyliner when I was a kid but never saw a 55 skyliner until several years ago. The guy that I bought my 56 from has one in his garage.

I can't imagine it being attractive but that's just me.

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

There is a Ranchero in the Detroit area (Wyandotte) that had this done in either the late 50's or 60's. Used to see it at many of the cruise nights about 20 years ago.

6. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Or........You could graft the plastic roof and stainless trim along w/ the doors from a Crown Vic. onto a `55-6 two door wagon. Way cool

7. roadrash

roadrash

Just a quick thought...... could'nt you make one for just about any vehicle the same way Darryl Starbird makes bubbles for his cars ?

8. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

I always wanted to build a Ranchero with a retracking top (Polished Aluminum that folded) and a full lid and make it like a Sunliner.

The Old Tinbasher

9. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

10. choppertime

choppertime

Anyone know of a 57 Ford Fairlane Sunliner project (Cloth Convertible) for sale.

11. carpenter825

carpenter825

I have access to a car/ranchero like the one built by Jack Simon in 1958. Were these a production vehicle or custom built Any help would be appreciated as I didn't find any reference to this car in fords prodution listings. Brian

12. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I seriously thought about it when we put a Skyliner front section on the chopped Ranchero... a vaccum mold cold be made or I've seen how they lay hot sheets over a form and wondered if they could lay it on the actual roof before the opening was cut... for ref ck out ranchero conversion here on the HAMB http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567430

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I know this O/T, but I had a '55 Skyliner in the early eighties for a short time. Couldn't drive the thing for more than a few minutes... The green cast from the top made me car sick... But then I'm a bit weird!

14. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

You could lay fiberglass over the existing roof to create the outer mold then create a buck by padding inside the outer mold with about a half inch of dense carpet pad and lay glass over that. Then line both with thin felt and heat a sheet of 1/2 inch lexan in a pizza oven and lay it in the mold and press it with the buck until cool. That would give you the plexi roof and lexan is very tough stuff.