Register now to get rid of these ads!

Illinois Residents that have gotten "The Tax Due Letter"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russco, Sep 24, 2010.

1. 97

That is pro-forma invoicing and is illegal everywhere I know if in the Western world.......... !! Didn't your President come from Illinois ?

2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

The SOS office in Springfield WILL attach them with the RUT-50 form and the check if you ask them too. Just make sure to keep a copy of the original BOS you will need it later when "the letter" arrives. I have also been telling guys I know in Springfield when they attach the BOS to the form to take a picture of it for further proof you submitted it. The "letter" usually arrives several weeks after the title and plates some instances I know of was 3-4 months later.

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

You guys are making Joisey look good.:D

4. You guys had me all panicked. I transferred my title from TX to IL with no problem. I had to fill out a tax form but the total was $0 becasue the vehicle was titled in my name more than 6mo. in the other state.

They gave me the Antique plate right there on the spot after I paid my transfer fee. Cost me the same as it did to register my late model.

One hot rod down, one to go.

5. Ole don

Ole don

I retired to Southern Illinois from farther north, where the winters are wicked. Not being a native, I called the Secretary of Staes license division and asked about titling a home built roadster I built. I followed the instructions to the letter. Drove for years, had a good time. Sold the car, then got a call from the female number Nazi. She went to the new owners home and put a different serial number on the car and reamed my ass for doing it wrong, (not her way), even though she didnt work there when it was done years ago! This only proves that puting a uniform on a bureaucrate doesnt make them know any more.

6. fanspete

fanspete

Nope, he came from Chicago! (sorry guys, but there is a difference!)
    Francisco...you need to ease up on the info, give out the minimum. Omission isn't lying is it?
    They hit me twice for more $, first time I called, ready to chew some ass, and the lady was very nice and said to send in a BOS and it would go away...it did. Second time was on a Nova we'd been driving for over a year!

7. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

that's some bad shit Russco can you get the seller to write a new bill of sale
    if so have them write a statement of fact that they wrote the original and this is the second bill of sale because the State lost the 1st one

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'm OK I kept my original because I KNEW they would do this, its their Standard procedure now it seems. This thread is to help others in the future and hopefully produce enough evidence of the state's malpractice to put a stop to it!

9. LOL! Yeah, us down-staters don't claim that part of Illinois!

10. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I got one for my 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.

11. FityFive

FityFive

Isn't that the truth......

12. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

Point all you guys are missing is that for all the government giveaway programs, grants, income supplements, jobs creation bills, special interest tax incentives, etc someone has to pay for it. That someone is you, by the the state raising taxes.

13. strawberry

strawberry

take to the streets burn some rubber ..well not really but is ill. the only state this kind of stuff is happening in? it makes you wonder , whats next?

14. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

NO, we are paying the the correct amount due they (The Illinois Dept of Revenue) are throwing out our proof of purchase price that we submit and then charging us tax on the value of our cars based on NADA classic car price guide (without even looking at the car). If they want to raise the tax amount due at purchase then they should go through the legislative process and raise it. Not toss out our Bill of Sale that is submitted so they then can try to make us pay MORE than the legal tax we owe! and as a nice bonus they add penalties AND interest

15. Crooked old Jesse White got re-elected to boot! He has only one qualification, he's part of the Chicago system. Even if a decent DMV person takes care of you, the state mob will extort money from you because they are not and never have been accountable. Bikes, boats and guns will be next. I know a couple party members who have had no such issues. I wonder if that's the ticket?

16. 1Evil55

1Evil55
    from Illanoys

The bigger problem is the cockroaches that are breathing my air who don't work, pay tax, contribute to society, live off the govt...And they continue to reproduce because they know the govt will continue to cover their asses, on my dime.
    The Crook county, Chitcago in particular, have trained these lowlifes to show up to the polls. Who woulda' thunk elections have consequences.
    If it were up to me, I'd section off Chitcago to be its own state. Leave Illinois out of their mess.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  17. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Just A reminder so this doesnt get locked please. No politics even though we all know they are crooked SOB's

18. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

Man, I thought I would never say this but thank God I am in Oklahoma!

19. 1Evil55

1Evil55
    from Illanoys

I cleaned my rant up a little, hope that helps.

20. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I haven't gotten a letter on the '55 yet, and it's been a year and a half. Hopefully I don't! Fortunately for the ever expanding '36 fleet, we have the option of going through Indiana instead! :D

21. rustyangels

rustyangels

I got my dreaded tax letter ___ processed last Oct from a 2005 Ill title, my truck's a '65

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

They're beating the streets hard. I was sent a ST-44 form for my Bonding process. They're trying to trick me into entering my appraised value into the blank and pay 6.25% on that, the form clearly states "total cost of general merchandise puchased outside of Illinois". Guess I'll add up a couple of mail order receipts and pay the tax on those.
    I'll cut my car up into tiny pieces before I'll ever put my appraised value in. I will not pay tax on something I already paid tax on for all the parts.

23. nitrozahn

nitrozahn

Had to deal with this on a late model truck I bought from a friend. Sent the bill of sale and all paperwork in and paid taxes according to year guidelines. They sent me a letter and I resubmitted the BOS. Didn't hear anything back. I am sure I will have the same problem when I transfer the title on my F1. I've definitely learned to fight this kind of thing since moving to IL! Ever deal with the IL Toll system? What a nightmare!!!

24. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Thank you barret jackson and reallity tv, their watching too , as you guys want those bj prices watch your tittles, internet age, They know exactly whats goin on save those recites , capital gains is a real pain........

25. pondo

pondo
    from Illinois

Well. I sent the paperwork in to transfer my title in May. Got my certified letter a couple of days ago. "Since you did not provide a purchase price" You owe us $1500 + $147.50 in penalties +$.65 Intrest-$25.00 paid. WTF I did not send a copy of the BOS though,but wrote the purchase price on line 1 of step 3 on the RUT-50 like they asked. I know a couple of other guys that had this same thing happen and a copy of the BOS again has always straightened things out. But I agree this seems like they are sending a bill out knowing very well that they are doing the wrong thing. But then again isn't the Governer kinda like thier boss?? straight as a arrow :)

26. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thanks Pondo for keeping this updated. Since you didnt give them a BOS from the get go this is what usually happens. My main concern /complaint was even whenyou supply them with a BOS they "lose" them. A copy of the BOS should clear it up, but yes its bull shit and unfortunately business as usual for the Il Dept of Revenue.

27. Got mine too, but since I'm not really a "nice guy" anymore I made a phone call. I got "Rodney". (Coulda been Rod Blago for all the good the jackass did me.) "Rodney" was your typical 'help line' mouth breather. He proceeded to read me, verbatim, what was printed on the form letter I held in my hand during the conversation. I unloaded on him a couple of times about the illegal aspects of this whole scenario, and "Rodney" agreed that it DID seem a bit unusual, ..... but reaffirmed the IRS' recommendation that I file an appeal and appear in Springfield. The senseless banter continued for a few minutes until I asked "Rodney" if the State of Ill Annoy would reimburse me for my missed day of work AND my mileage to file an appeal that SHOULDN'T BE NECESSARY IF HE AND THE OTHER UNTRAINABLE MONKEYS IN HIS DEPARTMENT WOULD JUST DO THEIR JOB!!!!!!
    At that point, "Rodney" became somewhat less friendly. My final statement to "Rodney" was, "So this last ten minutes of my life that I'll never get back was just as useless as YOU appear to be, eh?" "Rodney" then wished me a nice day, ...... and hung up on me.

I went back to the Sec of State office with my letter and the lady at the counter (the ONLY one who actually cared about being at work) said she had been dealing with many of these. Since the letters come from the Ill dept of Revenue she couldn't really do much, but she said to attach another BOS to the forms included in the "Certified Letter" (Yes, I can certify that it was in fact a LETTER) and send it back to the dumbasses.

For the record, I paid $4200 for the car and the State of Ill Annoy wants $1500 in taxes!!!! 36% !!! All because THEY have determined MY car, which they've NEVER seen, is worth MORE than $15,000!!!!!

FOR SALE: 1931 Ford 2 door $15,000
    Contact "Rodney" at IL Dept of Revenue
    1-800-732-8866

28. von zipper

von zipper

29. xix32

xix32

this extortion is coming from the il dept of revenue, not the dmv who transfered the title. if they succeed at getting away with this, what's to stop them from trying the same thing on real estate trans actions.

30. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Older'n thanks for including this too. That was the purpose of this thread so we can document how many of these Bill of Sale documents are being "lost". I have found that another copy of the Bill of Sale will ALWAYS solve the issue with them. Which further backs up my theory that this is just a big bluff they are hoping some people will fall for.