Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ClutchDumpinDan's '48 F-1 Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClutchDumpinDan, Oct 15, 2009.

1. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

That's some really nice work. I dig it.

I love the motor mounts.

2. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

Awesome man, great ideas you've given me. Still speculating on my rear suspension. I like the way yours looks, but I don't know how much lower I can get my original front. No dough for the IFS. lol

Great Thread!

3. Thanks everybody, glad you like it! :cool:

Closing the doors was a nightmare, they were way outta whack. Lubed and adjusted all the hardware and the hinges and they work like new now. I replaced a cracked window as well (yup, had to close the door that hard :eek:)

But the biggest improvment, it has a heater now! :D

4. New axle seals, replaced the gear oil soaked brakes shoes and changed the oil. Keep an eye out for it at the Showdown...or on the side of 15 with the hood up :eek::D

5. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Thats great Dan. I hope you have fun.

Todd

6. Few pics of the '48 in action...

Last winter sucked big time!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stole this pic from the Showdown thread..thanks to whoever took it!

[​IMG]

7. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Lot of thinking - A nice ride - I have injoyed reading and the pictures of the build.

8. limp

limp

that last pic looks so cool

mike

9. midcal48

midcal48
    from Hughson,CA

Awesome build!!

What size tire are you running front and rear? Thanks!!

10. Thanks :D

They're 6.00x16 up front and 7.00x16 on the rear.

11. Damn!...my kinda truck; you did a great job on it.
    I'm workin on one rite now.

12. how come they don't have a post or somethin around this drain(?) hole?...if someone hit that! Yow![​IMG]

13. thendrix

thendrix

Very good use of extra parts. I'm impressed

14. Been driving the truck everywhere and came across a few issues. The only major one being the oil pressure in the little ol' 283. It still ran like a champ but at hot idle it only showed around 3 or 4psi of oil pressure :eek:

So I found a re-buildable 350 4 bolt main on craigslist and me and my dad re-built it top to bottom. Nothing fancy, just your standard 30 over, mild cam, etc. And now that I was going to have a reliable engine I decided to swap the 4 speed and crappy shifter (the other issue I was having) for a T-5 so I could do some highway miles with the overdrive. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was the first engine we've ever re-built together and everything went together great. Got it in the truck, got it broke in and went to take it for a test drive when we noticed a nice big oil puddle under it :(

Long story short, the threaded hole in the back of the block under the head...the threads were fucked up. If they were messed up before, or if the machine shop messed them up when they took the plug out and put it back, who knows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some tool throwing and head scratching we re-tapped the hole a little deeper and put the plug back in...all better :D

After the radiator shop telling me $800 to re-core the stock rad. I decided to put in an alum. one I had laying around. Dave Havlir at the House of Fab moved the outlets around for me since there never in the right spot it seems :rolleyes: Thanks Dave!

[​IMG]

I decided to make a shroud for the elec. fan as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Looks great Dan.

16. Here's some more misc. stuff I did that I forgot to post awhile ago...

Needed a radio but didn't want anyone to know it was there. So I put the CD player part of it in the glovebox along with a couple extra 12 volt outlets.

[​IMG]

Made a pair of boxes for behind the seat to mount the speakers and to hold extra junk...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the front speakers I made some sheetmetal kick panels, puched a few holes in them and mounted the speakers behind them. If you look right behind the shift knob you can sorta see them, they're really hard to see....mission accomplished :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And best of all, I finally found a stock bench seat! No more buckets...woohoo! :D

[​IMG]

17. BOWTIESR2

BOWTIESR2
    from GREELEY CO

Truck came out very nice and you did real nice work on the floors............

18. After putting about 75-100 miles around town on the new engine and trans setup I met up with a few Hambers and drove to MD. for the Jalopyrama. Everything went pretty smooth and seemed to be reliable.

A few weeks later I jumped on board with Doug (hamb name JoeSmith), Dave (house of fab) and Brian for a little test run. We made a 1,200 mile roundtrip to Atlanta and back. Truck ran absolutley perfect the entire time, couldn't be any happier with it :D

Here's a few pics from the trip...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brian with some co-pilot action in Dave's car...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bugs, bugs, and more bugs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wasn't aware that Ga. had a space program of there own...

[​IMG]

We took up some parking spots at Mills & Co. and drooled over Josh's '35. Thanks for the hospitality!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A ride through town...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone who lives in or near Atlanta is crazy, I'm still seeing brake lights when I close my eyes :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Great pics and story, Dan!
    I'm still working on my first test ride, but it won't be too long...

20. Thanks Martin! Can't wait to see your truck on the road! Think it will be ready for the Showdown this year?