Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moved To Costa Mesa, CA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy54, Nov 7, 2010.

1. that's why i have panel trucks.............:D

you'll find there is a crap load of food around and just as many opinions about them (my last input on this is too stay away from chain places). it's so cal mexican food is natural......i'm a gringo and love the food better then meat and potatoes. there's a tommys in fountain valley and down here in lake forest, there's the hat down here too. as for other things to do, i always have fun cruising the orange circle and all the food/shops around there...then taking silverado canyon home.
    most HAMBers go to the anti donut d:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170087&highlight=anti

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. big creep

big creep

ill take you to the original tommys! 2575 Beverly Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90026 just be careful at night there! i have story.

3. big creep

big creep

4. firingorder1

firingorder1

This Sunday at Beach Burgers on Beach Blvd in Huntington Beach there is a vintage bike get together. Its not a huge event but there are usually a few quality machines there.

5. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

As they say ,,a big 10-4 on that one !!

6. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Theres just to much stuff going on to hit it all...looks like ill be hitting car/bike shows and eating alot!! Thanx guys

7. I knew I had seen your car before, so I dug through some old magazines and there it was, from Maine. Nice ride

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Had one for lunch today, don't worry they exit just fine. No pushing like this :mad: of this :eek: just nice and easy :D.

9. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Best mexican food in town. The locals call it "Manuals". The Manual Special is the bomb................everything but the kitchen sink. I grew up around there.

10. Noname38

Noname38

Two chilli cheese burgers and my fries used to turn into chilli fries. Never looked like that when ordering but damn tastie. So we have in-n-out, tommys, and the hat. I love greasie food

11. big creep

big creep

the burgers from tommys never look like the pictures, why? cause they give you extra free chili! soooooooo bad, but oh sooooooooo good!

12. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Thanx man..yes it is a cool thing to spend so much time building a car and then to see it in a feature is pretty cool..plus I got to give props to all my buddys who helped so much! Made S.R. Top Ten in Syr, NY...coverage in again in Feb I think?

LMAO:D

13. As far as cruise nights in Orange county. Old town Garden Grove on friday is probably the best one. The saturday morning in Hb off adams you got to wake up real early like 5am and be there around 6am. Been there once. COol rods for sure. Picture below from back in the Late 50's. I was not born yet ha. Its not that lil town anymore.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  14. rover

rover
    from pomona

welcome! fellow chevy guy here. nice ride! tell me about those bad ass reversed rims you got. any one have a nice set for sale?... here's some cool stuff to check out: pomona swap meet, long beach swap meet, new Irwindale swap meet(small but getting good), avoid Fontana speed way swapmeet ( SUCKS!), Mooneyes Xmas party at Irwindale speed way, you may have just missed Covina car show (Blues and Hot Rods), Route 66 Rendezvous in San Bernardino (september), Characters Bar on saturdays has cool rockabilly bands (pomona), avoid car shows with too many old guys with the cry babies or home made wooden consoles, pick up flyers at these different events and enjoy! Also, now you are a lot closer to Viva Las Vegas. oh! dont forget santa maria car show and ink & iron at the Queen Mary in june. Americas Most Beautiful Roadster Show at Fairplex in Pomona. AWESOME! coming up after the new year. Those are the main events that i hit up during the year... And if you want REAL mexican food make friends with just about any mexican hot rodder with a bar b cue in his back yard. you won't be disappointed. always good and feels like you are with your own family. most guys only charge a twelve pack. there are no real, good mexican restaurants in orange county. except for Santa ana. next time i BBQ maybe i'll invite ya! a little far though. take a tour of So Cal Speed shop too. pretty cool. ENJOY SO CAL!

15. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

SIXTY4CHEVY...Thanx , great pic bro, wished it still looked that way!

ROVER...It all sounds cool to me, thanx for taking the time to list all that out, Ill hit as many as possible for sure!

16. HA! 50's postcards is another thing i collect......i have 1 from costa mesa.

17. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Hell Old timer, I lived there through the 50's. Had one Cop, Constable Vaughn.
    Actually it was Goat Hill back then.:)Good place to grow up.

18. Constable :D, I like that.

19. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Now Im understanding the reason for the bar named "Goat Hill Tavern" at Triangle Square! Nice bit of history guys!

20. sololobo

sololobo

Congrats bro, love that Chevy. I lived in Whittier and worked in Costa Mesa for about a year and a half befor moving back to Santa Barbara for a couple more years. Then when my Dad had severe health issues moved bac to the Midwest to be around him as long as possible. Then just got stuck here, the weather isn't as nice but the economy is easier to live with, is it worth all the snow and cold? NO!! Enjoy man. ~Sololobo~

21. Harry and Henry's Goat Hill Tavern is a legend and an institution in those parts. It isn't really in Trianlge Square, but across the street. 141 beers on tap and peanut shells on the floor - what could be better?
    Can't tell you how many times we've sat down at the bar and said, let's start at that end (of the tappers) and see how far we get!

22. Burny

Burny

Welcome to SoCal from another New England transplant!(Mass-hole; been here since'88)

Trust me , you will never want to go back. I'm not sure why some are saying it's difficult to get YOM plates here. I've done it twice- with no issues. Make an appoinment if you can. If you find some '54 plates, call the DMV ahead to make sure they are 'cleared" (no one is using them in the system) If they are clear, then go to the Cal DMV website ( dmv.ca.gov/ ) and download and fill out the proper forms. I think it cost me $45.00 for my '37 PU.

The DMV in Santa Ana is real good. They have a deli style (pick a number) system and I've always been helped fairly quick there, even without an appointment.

There are some great shows here, Mooneyes, GNRS, LA Roadsters Father's Day Show, Long Beach Motorama (and I hear there will be an LA Motorama as well) just to name a few. There's swap meets every other week between Pomona and Long Beach etc. Cruise nights at Bob's in Downey on Wednesday and Bob's in Toluca Lake on Friday.

You got the Peterson Museum up in LA and the Hot Rod Museum in Pomona...

The list goes on and on. You're gonna dig it.

One food suggestion to add to the already good ones: Joe Josts in LB...best pub in SoCal...

23. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Burny....Thanx man, Im born n raised Cape cod myself, transplant to ME later..This is the final step, very siked about the whole thing...met alot of HAMBers on here and have tried half the food suggestions so far!! Catch u at some of the shows Im sure!

Hotroddon...The goat is cool for sure ...All my friends here love the place and hang there all the time..catch u for a brew sometime!

24. 2Hep

2Hep

Hell Ya. Moved here to the Gold Coast (in So-Cal) a few months back from Michigan and don't regret it at all. Welcome to Cali

25. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Very cool Chevy... :cool:

26. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

you did what I have been dreaming to do for 26 years now.(move "back home" to So. Cal.) hope it works out great for you!!! I'll get back there eventually. sounds like your loving life now...cool. Ken

27. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

I'm jealous as hell.......cold wet winters getting harder to take every year.....anybody out there wanna swap houses.....got a heated garage and 3 car carport......2 bedroom one bath house to swap......

28. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

And it still smells like a Goats Arse in there.....LOL ! ! !

29. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Thanx everyone!

wrayeugene49...hey man, gave up my unattached 5 bay 30x50 w 12' ceilings and raident heat floor and 3 bay attached to house on my 5 acres just outside of town for my beautiful corner lot with my 22x22 8' ceiling.....and happy as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dullchrome....your rite it does! hah