Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures In A Nut Shell...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Well as a 65 year ol fart who just got through looking at some 57-58 Hot Rod Annual books with not a single piece of advertisement in them and looaded with good build info between the covers. I will take exception to the statement that the early books are what started the movement. It was a lot of people coming back from the war build stuff in their garages and using their own minds to put shit together and helping each other out. Many high school auto shop students learning and building their own rides because custom parts were not available and you had to do it yourself. Hell even into the late fiftys and early sixtys when I got the fever you still had to make a lot of it yourself. Ain't that what its all about, and the HAMB fosters this belief all over again. Way to go RYAN by trying to keep it alive!

One person who is proud to be an Alliance member.............

2. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Holy crow. I can't believe a guy (gal?) in charge of an automotive print magazine was dumb enough to shoot him- or herself in the foot like that.

Back in the day a Primedia mag editor told me I was too stupid to understand what it took to put out a magazine.

My response was that he may be right, but I WAS smart enough to know what I wanted to see in a car magazine, and was smart enough to leave it on the news stand if I didn't.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  3. First of all, thanks to Ryan and all others who've contributed so much to this site. Not being much of a mechanic, I enjoy reading and seeing what many real magicians have done to vehicles here at this place. As for Janet, he/she appears to be writing out of desparation, as the print media seems to be doing more and more these days. They're fighting a losing battle to survive with incessant advertising and inane articles - which why many former readers/subscribers left them.

Keep doing what you're doing. To paraphrase Dale Earnhardt Sr many years ago: "Yeah, they're booing me, but I got their attention!"

4. moontanker

moontanker
    from tn.

I live near a magazine phony who never busted a knuckle ever.Rags never made hot rodders.We did and we did it cause we could and we allways will.You guys are great.

5. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I guess I'm just a softy.

I can't believe that Janet REALLY meant those things. I can imagine the frustration of finally being an editor/ journalist of what once was a highly desired job just to have the prestige of it all but gone. I'm sure some of those words are out of anger.

On another note, how many of the people arguing that change is a fact of life also complain how ebay is ruining the swapmeet world?

6. BCR

BCR

The only thing that will always remain the same is change!

7. That is VERY well stated. My hat's off to you.

8. So Ryan, what does it fill like to be a revolutionary? :D

From day one, I realized that you are someone who truly gets it. Never been any question about that in my mind.

As for those folks who work in the printed media industry these days, I can imagine it's kind of scary. Life is a fluid thing. Times are forever changing. Everyone must be able to adjust accordingly.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Old days: Magazines written as a technical (and evangelical, get more people racing!) resource by active gearheads who could write pretty damn well, for a community of gearheads, magazine partly supported by advertisers who were mostly in the same gearhead community.
    Now: Magazines written as a tool for gathering advertising income by journalists, some of whom know damnlittle about their subjects and some of whom can't even write, for gearheads who are exhorted to buy rather than build to support advertisers who are warehouse retailers of Chinese hardware??

10. You know, I've been giving this some more thought. If I'm working in a certain industry, and I find out there is a discussion forum that has discussions that sometimes pertain to the products my company puts out, I'm going to consider it a valuable resource that helps give me some idea of the current trends and environment affecting my business. I'm not going to get angry and criticize that forum just because the discussions are not favorable toward my products. I'm going to analyze my products and make adjustments as needed. That's good business.

11. pitman

pitman

I like to think that the HAMB is a place where the art, and crafting are discussed and furthered. As Bruce mentioned, it's a loss when "paper changing hands" $$$ becomes primary.

12. 46MoparMan

46MoparMan

Whenever I need info, tech, inspiration or a good laugh I come here to this community of real rodders. Thank you Ryan

13. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Every so often in the magazine Rod and Kulture they mention the HAMB.
    I think if the magazine guys, like "Janet" followed the HAMB it would give them a pulse of what us real hot rod/custom car guys are thinkig, and what type of cars we own and like. Maybe their magazine sales may even go up.

14. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

That is one hell of a compliment.

15. Interesting to think that Janet thinks JJ will kill off magazines....

The right print product will have people buying it. How many times have I heard people say they wish Deadend mag was an actual print magazine? Lots!!! Betcha if Jesus and Juant turn it to print I'll be a decent success all because the content and car quality is bang on.

So Janet, its nothing to do with the medium, its about the about the quality of the content.

16. desertdroog

desertdroog

The content, here, is dynamic and immediate. It was built in the right place at the right time, and the rest of the Hot Rod world are richer for it.

Bless the JalopyJournal and the H.A.M.B. et. al.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I consider r&k to be partners of ours. I really like what zombie and the boys cook up.

18. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

WTF? Bruce, I always trust your tech advice, but you are really dismissing a lot of very devoted and talented people in a simplistic overstatement.

So, all current performance and hot rod component manufactures are "warehouse retailers of Chinese hardware"? Really? Dick Spadero is a magazine advertiser. How about Pete&Jakes/SuperBell (the Slovers)? Or Brookville Roadster of OHIO! Or Coker Tire of TENNESSEE! USA.

Yes, there are a few magazine mailorder advertisers of American and "offshore" parts - like Speedway, who a lot of HAMBers have used with great satifaction to build affordable hot rods for decades. One or two others maybe deserve your rath. But that is a very small part of any magazine's advertisers.

This whole shitstorm is about ONE insecure print editor who obviously had a bad day and like everybody in America right now (it seems) needs to blame somebody else for their troubles.

I have met a few young editors who may lack the vast depth of knowledge of someone like yourself. But I have never met a (poorly) paid magazine editor who was not ready to live on a friend's sofa for years just to be a part of the hot rodding world! Yeah, the corporate control of today's magazines have wrung money out of the budgets and cost many seasoned veteran's their jobs. And it just might be possible to hear the panic in Janet's message.

But Janet is not the entire magazine world any more than any other ass who starts some shit speaks for his family, his comapny or his profession. Lets get grip here.

19. chigger

chigger

First off, thanks for giving the "average" guy an outlet to the car world. Not all of us have the skills or money to make it into 'mainstream' magazines. The HAMB fills that void for me, buildup to come in the near future, now that the shed is done. Not that I wouldn't love to be a feature in a magazine, I just know that it likely won't happen. The HAMB is up to date , by the minute, info at your fingertips. I have searched for hours and still haven't seen it all. Simply AWESOME! Sure paper magazines have their place, i.e. in the john, at work, and while waiting on the wife to shop. That is just my thoughts on the matter..

Thanks Marcus

20. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

I have met more good, genuine people here on the HAMB than I ever did at any car show happening I ever attended. Pistons and Paint was a good example of that this past weekend. It is a welcome feeling to hang out with true Hot Rodders that enjoy having you around. Just honest to goodness people. Good family values. Moms and Dads. None pretentious and no attitudes or egos, and always there to help and lend a hand.

If anything it is the published media that has lost touch with what is happening in the Rod world. Take a look at any of the major rags and you will see that from front to back, the Rodders Journal being the only major exception to that. Hot Rod Deluxe, Rod & Culture, have also made solid strides to enlighten the masses. The rest steer away from traditional hot rods and the culture around them. It is sad, for it is that basic culture and it's influence many years ago that made our sport and lifestyles what it is today.

Janet obviously does not get it either, and has never really participated in one of the many HAMB happenings. And for that he/she is missing out on a real life changing experience. For me I am glad I found the HAMB, and am damn grateful for it's place in our society.
    Thanks Ryan! ........ Never look back and never regret!

21. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

I get my daily reading here. Sometimes laugh and sometimes learn. thank you all for the HAMB

22. Crease

Crease

The scene was stale and suckin wind like like a fat guy runnin a marathon. It was a welcome change from the cry baby/easter egg/Betty Boop stuff. I can see how an old dude that's set in his ways could see that as "destroying his scene".

One day I expect I'll to write to the guy that generates hot rod 3D holograms. "You bastard, your destroying my scene!!!"

23. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jumping on this thread late, but here's something I'd like to add:

I'm very grateful Ryan doesn't run the HAMB like most other 'specialty' forums run theirs. I joined a Bass players page, paid to become a member just so I could post on the classifieds page, and they still run two blinking banner ads on each page I look at-- Annoying.

Makes me really appreciate at the Alliance deal instead of crap ads everywhere on the HAMB!!!

24. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

I've been creeping around this site since the old Jalopyjournal.com when you still had the old wheel on the index page. Hell, even submitted a picture of my pop's '39 Chevy truck (Tejeda's Hauler) which you were nice enough to post for all to see, even thought it was not a traditional rod. I've been a member since last year when I was serving overseas, just reading, learning, and appreciating all the people who take their time to write the tech articles and lend a hand when necessary, knowing that when the time came to ask for help, it would be there. Don't worry about the naysayers, the one uppers, and the @$$holes. There's always going to be someone out there who claims they're bigger and better (13 years in the military has proven that). All who are here, are here because they appreciate what you do, and why it's done. Looking back, I don't know how I got along before I found this site, and all the amazing work you and all that contribute do to keep our hobby alive and well. Keep up the good work, and to hell with Janet and the rest of the pre-madonnas out there who think they own our hobby. Hot rodding is alive because of the blood, sweat and tears spilled by those who love and cherish it, not by some clown who puts out a rag on what he/she believes is the "best" way to do it. My two cents.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

25. Deadender60

Deadender60

Well Ryan Janet might not continue to read this trash, but I will.

Great video, the only thing it's missing a 64 at about 2:53...

If you really are "destroying the fabric of hot rodding." It's destruction at it's finest.

I'm going to keep trying to contribute to the destruction.

-Juan

26. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fritz, I don't think Bruce was having a go at the advertisers themselves but the magazine editors for making their magazines solely a carrier for advertising with the occasional article.
    At least thats how I read it??

Doc.

27. RichG

RichG

That's how I read it too DocWatson, Bruce is too smart to fall into such a close minded trap...IMHO.

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The magazines seem to often write their tech to steer people away from building an actual old car and towards big-ticket mail order stuff...how many articles have you seen that start approximately "Here's the frame we took out...it could be used as the basis for a build, but look, it's all icky and you can order a nice new one..."
    "The 350 was tired and would need a valve job, and LOOK, it's all icky too, so send off for the totally polished LS-99 with computer and..."
    Yes, that is a reasonable path for many, of course, but there seems a steady drumbeat of advice leading to the building of old cars with nothing old in them at all...the reason IMHO being that you cannot run a big business selling real old car stuff, as the supply problems are impossible, so it's good to sell new replacements for as much as possible...
    Tech is MUCH more often about using big chunks of mailorder major components than about fixing and modifying. New fabricated stuff has its place and is probably essential for some people, but the other way has often been dismissed.
    There is currently some drift in the old stuff fixxit approach...but I think that is only because "traditional rods", somewhat muddled in with rustbuckts and ratrods, are the fad dujour and the aftermarket doesn't yet offer the right stuff for that particular genre.
    The BIG ads are largely from the humungous replace-everything suppliers, and they pretty well own the magazines and direct the articles, IMHO.
    The small advertisers are a different kettle of fish...they crank out all those little problem-solving brackets and conversions, supply the parts that can seldom be found in usable original form, and things like that...like most of the advertisers in the old mags.
    And the really good stuff...metal hammering, whacko interchange questions on ancient hardware, is often tucked away in dark corners between the ads, while the feature tech comes down to prebuilt replacement chassis and such.

29. Now:

"Tech articles" supplied by advertisers,
    that typically read "How to follow the instructions in the box".
    Usually accompanied by a full page ad.

Or, if a magazine staffer actually wrote it,
    they typically read "How to follow the instructions in the box."
    Frequently accompanied by a full page ad.

Was it always this way ?

I don't think so.

30. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hell, early on the HAMB used to get a full page spread in Garage when Stoner ran it.