Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Merc Grill Repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yngrodder, Oct 24, 2010.

1. yngrodder

yngrodder

I have a couple grill's that is in need for some repair's They remind me of pot metal, How do you straighten the bars without breaking them?
    How do you reattach Grill Bars to the center when they are broke? Braze?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

The only "pop metal" I have ever seen, belonged to my dad, and it was off limits to me. However, "pot metal", which I believe you were thinking off, is quite common. There are product on the market that claim to be able to solder pot metal, such as Muggy Weld. Try a google search for Muggy Weld and that might give you some more insight. There's a learning curve to be successful (I'm not successful) at it, so you might want to find someone who has lots of experience. Good luck. Stu

3. cheveey57

cheveey57

Muggy weld does work pretty good sometimes. It depends on the particular make-up of the pot metal. If it's very porous I haven't had as much luck with it.

4. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Iv successful used a heat gun on zinc …. carbs for minor straitening.

A quality old time chrome shop guy can repair breaks

Are you sure your grills are all originals? Iv seen some old repos that are cast aluminum.

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Good ''pot'' metal repair is something of a lost art. I've seen lots of parts ruined by guys who were supposed to know what they were doing!
    There are a number of welding rods on the market that work with die cast (Zamac) metal, check with your welding supply for what's available in your area. Once you locate a welding rod, I'd suggest you pratice on some scrap die cast parts to learn what and what you can do, welding wise. You can repair diecast with 50/50 lead/tin solder, but not the 95/5-too much heat!

To straighten diecast, heat the bend with an oxidizing flame from a torch, and just warm it slowely until you can get it to move, DO NOT OVER HEAT!
    Alittle at a time is the method, here. A bent or bowed piece can be heated, placed on a bench top and tapped with a block of wood until straight. Don't force the repair as if you were repairing steel, but use gentle pressure. Watch out for the ''fire scale'' the blueish cast, as thats a sign of overheating. A commerical heat gun may well work for heating, but again, go slowely.

Good luck with your grille project.

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

7. Back up for some more info.....

8. lawman

lawman

Thanks Guys. Good Info. Tom (Tired Old Man)

9. Randy D

Randy D

10. WOW! Where did you find all those?!
    Good luck fixing them.

11. Sonny Day Out

Sonny Day Out

All,

I recommend http://www.aladdin3in1.com/products.htm for a fusion weld ! Have any chrome/paint removed first !

Use Acetylene/Oxygen torch or a heat gun for straightening Pot Metal ! Tig welding can also be done by an experienced welder !

I used Alladin 3in1 Rod and Acy/Oxy torch on Kurt McCormick's 40 Merc grille !

Good Luck,
    Sonny

12. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

My grilles are mild steel with stainless steel trim.
    Are yours aftermarket?

13. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

That sounds like 39 grills