Register now to get rid of these ads!

scam or no scam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glendale, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

Whenever I am in doubt I Google everything,phone number,address,name and whatever else I can think of.I even Google Earth the address.I sold a Triumph to a guy in California and through Google I saw a picture of his house via satellite and even a street view and learned all kinds of things about him so when I talked to him I knew he was telling the truth.Yes it's a little creepy sounding but better safe than sorry.

2. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

don't walk away from this...RUN!

-Notice his slightly peculiar english... big hint right there
    -he has a "Client," If he isn't buying it, and he isn't shipping it, what is he doing?

Adam

3. rustrustler

rustrustler

I did the same as duece354 on a sale to Belgium and it went perfectly. Mike.

4. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I sold a hot rod to a guy in Japan using a wire transfer. Wells Fargo set up a checking account with nothing in it, you just give the buyer the routing number and bank info and he deposits the money. There is no way for someone to take the money back out! Once it's in there, move the money to another account and close the account he deposited the money into. Alot of people do it this way. But if the buyer can send you a money order instead, it will save you time rather than going to the bank and opening another account. A bank transfer is safer for the buyer. If that money order is lost in the mail, goodbye, even if it's certified it can still get lost.

5. pcterm2

pcterm2

my 02 cents-in god we trust all others pay cash

6. moter

moter

7. Hellfish

Hellfish

I had a guy in California buy a car of mine. He had the money directly wired into my account through the bank. The bank confirmed the money was there, then I sent him the title. He sent a truck to pick up the car. Once my bank confirmed they had the money, he couldn't do anything to get it back, so the risk was all his. Now maybe there's some kind of new scam, but if it's a direct transfer, you have the cash.

8. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

9. shonky

shonky
    from Norfolk UK

I think you need to speak to him on the phone.
    give him a number , and let him ring you,

see if his story checks out.

It does look a little odd.

10. 73RR

73RR

This is the only way to use a bank transfer. And don't release the car until the funds are secured, there is always a waiting period.

11. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

I would be very skeptical of this. I sold a car on craigslist recently and I got a lot of similiar BS. They wanted to send a "shipper" and they just needed my name, address, telephone number, etc. I finally started replying that I was very busy after just being informed that I had inherited a small fortune from a dead realative in Nigeria and they quit e-mailing me, lol! Seriously, it's not worth the risk to me. Just like someone mentioned, there has to be someone stateside with cash that will be interested. Just my .02 cents. I ended up selling that car to an older lady that lived about 10 miles down the road, lol!

12. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

fallow your gut feeling.its too stressfull to hope everything is going to go smoothly.i only sell my cars when the person comes to town with cash.he can check the car out in person.and i can count the cash and run a counterfit marker across the cash.too much can go wrong when shipping cars and trans money.

13. 1954satan

1954satan

hi,i,live in the uk, and look what i found when i looked up ken smith. yep its a scam, ignore the prick, there are many genuine buyers in the uk with nothing to hide, and they are well know both sides of the pond. good luck.

http://www.cardealercheck.com/forum/thread132202.html

14. SCAM,SCAM,SCAM,bacon,and SCAM.....

15. bardahl1

bardahl1

ignore it

I sold an A recently to Sweden, but I checked on the buyer thru a trusted and well known person in the hot rod industry. Ask around if anyone over there can verify the person, I've done that here to verify myself to east coasters - makes everyone fell a little bit better.

someone else will come along soon enough, why risk it??

16. yardgoat

yardgoat

Just read the first page post but he Never answerd your question,time to go to $8500.00 and wait 30 days before pic up.If its a scam hes gone,if its real he will try to work it out.BUT STILL NO REALLY WAY TO REALLY KNOW.Good luck and be carefull..................................YG

17. wow, this dick sounds like a right piece of work.
    just goes to show these scammers are polishing their ways and getting better at stealing for a living.

everyone should check this link out.

18. Mart

Mart

Seems the Name Kelly Anderson is sometimes used.
    I googled Briscoe Motors here in the UK but no legit listing, just links to scam topics on various boards.
    I have bought a car from the USA but the first thing I did was phone the seller and talk direct to him. Anybody saying they want to just buy it virtually regardless of how much work it may require is either a fool or a scammer.

Oh yeah, here in the UK we don't have cell phones. We have mobile phones.

Mart.

19. It's a shame that this crap is scaring you guys from selling o/seas but I fully understand your fears.
    For legit o/seas buyers it's just as scary.....
    I bought MoFo from a guy in Colorado and I phoned him and talked for about 3 hours before feeling that he was legit.
    No scammer is going to talk to you for 3 hours and give you all sorts of personal information.
    I then did a bank to bank money transferr to the acct number which he supplied, and crossed my fingers.:D
    The deal went smoothly but the risk was all mine....
    If you have someones bank acct number I don't see how you can do anything but put funds in.
    That phone call cost me $360 but was money well spent.

20. Wire tansfer is NOT the way to go- I lost $200 on "the part" that I was really looking for by going through Western Union. When I called WU about it, THEY told me that there's no way to track/recover it and that they discourage people from using them for sales transactions for that very reason.

21. COS

COS
    from KCMO

THIS IS TRUE!! I own a small car lot and we only take wire transfers from customers buying out of state for the simple fact that once it is in our account it can not be taken out.. Plus as soon as it hits our "Wire Transfer Account" we transfer it out of that Account in to our everday account for double coverage...

22. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

I sold my one of my T's to an Aussy same thing talked on the phone for a while a few times, bank transfer, then the truck came and picked it up... then I cried for a while;). Over all a good experience and I have a friend in Australia now. Selling a car overseas should be a good experience. Don't sell to a-holes....or scammers.

23. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

He is offering to wire you the $$ wich is better than a money order, Just dont give him your normal account. Go open a bank account for this one transaction and after it goes through close it. This way he wont know your regular account info.

24. yea i am for sure over it. i emailed and said cash only or no deal. and then because i can emailed him links to all of the google searches re: his number. the only response i got was that they had to do a bank transfer. what an idiot...