Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects [PROJECT] Laidout53 Part II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HarborKustomSpeedShop, Oct 11, 2010.

1. fitzee

fitzee

Very nice work!! going to be watching this one

2. Thanks everyone! One day i hope to open my own hot rod shop, so this will be my shop truck...

Thanks, Yes all the joints will be plated. Im picking up the steel tomorrow.

Thanks, its adjustable by adding shims behind the arm. The arm mounts were made to were i had the arms at on the old frame, so it should be close, nothing some shim can fix to get it prefect.

3. maniac

maniac

COOL! that's actually better than stock, I've had mine move a few times.

4. Thanks maniac, this is my first frontend ive built so i hope it works out...

5. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

That is looking really good.

6. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Dang man, I'm glad to see someone building something on this scale. You are doin it real big man. Keep it up.

7. hooligan909

hooligan909
    from San Diego!

man this is an awesome build!!!! i cant wait to see more!!!!

im kinda new to this but, why did you put the upper control arms at and angle?

8. Thanks man, actually both the lowers and uppers are on an angle. The uppers are on a little more of an angle. they were this way an the old frontend, its for caster or anti-dive cant remember for sure...

9. Thanks DUDE your truck is awesome, i saw it at hotrod a rama this year and i said i'm going to make my truck lay running boards. Building the frame is just something ive wanted to do.

10. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Wow. Fab skills are through the roof.... Can't wait to see more progress.

11. TMunster

TMunster
    from Las Vegas

very nice build up! cant wait to see it finished!

12. Amazing...I have so many questions, I don't know where to begin.

Do you have a day job or are you just doing this at home at nights?

Did you build the frame table just for this project, or have you done other frames? You mention that this is your first front end, but it sure looks like you know what you're doing

I haven't seen front upper arms slanted like that before (but I haven't seen a lot of things). Is that normal or do you need it that way because it will be bagged?

What prompted the whole new frame project?

Can I fly you down to North Carolina to help finish my Pilothouse? I think you'd be done in about 3 days at the pace you're working.

Can't wait to see more.

13. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Damn nice work! I'm jelous.

14. Thanks man, yes im doing this after work in my folks' garage. This is my third frame that I've been lucky enough to build, one for my 69' gmc 1/2ton(not to hamb friendly), and one for a 28' chevy coupe for a friend of mine. As for the frontend is copy of a mustang II front end. the upper arms are on the same anle as the were on the old frontend. What prompted the frame build is that i wanted it lower so rather than doing oall the work it would have taking to get lower i could have just done a frame, also im putting a new rearend and link setup on it. As for flying to NC i dont have anymore vacation time...HAHA

Thanks again guys it means alot to me. This is really all i wanna do, build cars....

Justin

15. very impressive, even mpore so that it is a Dodge.

16. R.C.

R.C.
    from Waco Texas

really nice frame work

17. RickyRodder

RickyRodder

Beautiful work! Wish I had your ambition. I'm afraid to do anything that drastic to my wagon because I don't know if it would ever make it back on the road!:D

18. nice frame work keeping it clean

19. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Can't believe I somehow missed this thread up until now! The truck looked great before, can't wait to see it on the new frame. Awesome work so far Justin. :cool:

As for the angle on the upper control arms, its for anti-dive. Helps keeps the car level when your slamming on the brakes and transferring all your weight to the front. The amount varies from car to car, usually the less suspension travel you have the less you build in. Road race cars usually have 5-7%, factory stuff can have as much as 30% built in (think, 70's station wagon).

Hey I've got a question, what are you using for your welding and cutting? Looks pretty clean.

20. Thanks Moparmonkey, I'm using a hobart 140 welder and for cutting its a cut off/chop saw and a 4 1/2" angle grinder with cut off wheels.

21. Well i got to work on the frame last night a today, got the bag mounts made up front. Had to get 2" drop spindles, so i got those installed mocked up the rack to make sure it would fit. Also got the frame gussets cleaned up and tack where there suppose to go.
    Anyways heres th pictures...

bag mounts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rack mocked up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the frame gussets tack on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Justin

22. Racrdad

Racrdad

Your work is just incredible, keep posting these updates!!

23. Thanks Racrdad....

Justin

24. lawman

lawman

That is sooooo Very nice !!!!!! Tom (Tired Old man)

25. I'm inspired...

26. Well made some progress last night and today. Got the frame gussets welded last night, and today i got the motor in place. Had to make the motor mount tabs and the tranny crossmember. Also picked up a new rearend housing for it since the old one is to wide.

Heres the pictures...

Gussets welded (Lots of welding)...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tranny crossmember i fab'd up...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Motor mount tabs....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Motor in place...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New rearend housing, still needs cleaned up (about 4" narrower then the other one)...

[​IMG]

What do you think?

Justin

27. Cripes Justin, that is absolutely AWESOME. I think (actually know) that you have more fabrication talent in your pinkie than I have in my whole body. Great work, keep the updates coming. Bud

28. brentthebarber

brentthebarber
    from San Diego

All I can say is WOW!!! Great work! Between work and kids, all that you've done would take me about 3 years, no wonder my car will never be done, haha. Keep up the awesome work, can't wait to see the finished product!

(BTB)

29. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Awesome work man.

30. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Everything just keeps looking better! Awesome work. And that's some seriously nice welding with the 140, just goes to show that even a 115v welder will take care of a lot of work!

Yannick c3 likes this.