Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 48 Desoto Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by my47soto, Sep 11, 2009.

1. RDR

RDR

these 4 door Mopars look GREAT chopped....get'er done...best to consider loosing the fluid drive and maybe go with a Plymouth 3+ OD that would bolt up to the 6 cyl if that is your choice of engines... my $.02 worth..

2. 88daryl88

88daryl88

This was my 47-48 DeSoto from 20 years ago.
    Aussie ones were built from Plymouth bodies (short front fenders)
    The park lights are in a different (and arguably a better position)

I didn't chop it but it was quite low, 14" wheels, cut coils & relocated shocks.

Good luck with your project.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. my47soto

my47soto

Just when I thought I was almost at the home stretch,
    I freakin realize no more cutting blades!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! So here are a couple of pics to tide you guys over. Oh bye the way if your curious about the car lurking in the background on the last pic its my wifes '53 Caddie

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  4. 33Master_Eagle

33Master_Eagle

Don't ever let your husband drink and type he will confuse his 3's with his 2's, I think he ment to say his wifes 52 Caddy.......lol

5. joel torres

joel torres

looking good man to bad i couldn't give you my parts car ( i still dont know what i need from it still) or your chop would have been easy peasy
    i could see how buying a spare body preferably rotten on the bottom would donate so many parts for the chop top i know a spot in p.a. that has a bunch of them im going there memorial day weekend
    i have pics of the cars from my last visit

6. joel torres

joel torres

7. Love it! My first car was a '47 DeSoto 4 door (1956) (Arlington, VA). A neighbor gave it to me (Free) because it had the grille smashed in and it had not been run for a year or two, otherwise it just needed a good cleaning. I found a new (still in factory brown wrapper at a local junk yard, the price was $12.00:eek:I put 4 Port-A-Walls on it a new battery, cleaned the carb and old gas out and she fired right up. Man the dash and steering wheel on that car was soooo cool and the back seat was big enough to live in. Not very fast with the fluid drive trans and 6cyl engine but what a cruiser. Would love to have it today:)
    Good luck with the build, that chop will be a bear but damn it will look great:D

8. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Hey Joel, they wouldn't happen to have any 49-52 Chevy 2 door sedans in that yard, would they?

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

Man the chop is looking great ! Cant wait till you can roll it outside for the 1st time with that new profile!

10. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

I am incredibly interested to see what the rear of the roof looks like after the chop. The one part of these cars that drives me crazy is the little hump between the rear glass and the deck lid. Good luck, and keep the pictures rolling!

11. dieselbronco

dieselbronco
    from jamesburg

sweet i have a 48 chrysled im in the middle of chopping

Attached Files:

12. my47soto

my47soto

:DGeeze Joe, you are the man I need to head up to that place with you. It looks like a wonder land.:cool:

13. my47soto

my47soto

Lookin good, your much further then I am. I need to stop procrastinating:D

14. my47soto

my47soto

Well I know its been awhile since I gave some updates but here it goes. I laid my back window in and stasrted stitching the roof back together. I wish I had more time in between working and going TDY to put into my baby. But Even though Im taking baby steps Im going to to "GET IR DONE":D. So here are some crappy pics from my camera phone. Hopefully next time you see her she will be mocked up ready to get sandblasted.

Attached Files:

15. my47soto

my47soto

Hey, hey finally home for once and after throwing together my make shift e-wheel I was back at it in the garage pounding out metal and knocking out my chop. So nough talk here are the pics...

Attached Files:

16. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'bout time we heard from you. :)

That is a ton of work done. Are you considering chopping the rear window?

17. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

The rear window just doesn't have any flow to it, the sheet metal on the rear of the roof leading to the window is sunken in and the window frame bulges at the top.

18. my47soto

my47soto

If your looking at the prior pics from the one I posted yeserday all of the above was true. So I cut the whole rear section off did a valley and reshaped the side panels. I will have to post a full rear view and better pics cause they are pretty crappie. Thats why I was never invited to be on the year book club when I was in high school:D

19. 73RR

73RR

...chopping a sedan is a pile of work, but they sure look good...

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

Good to see you are back at it ! I was wondering where ya got to !

21. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Cool.
    Here is a d24 of the same sedan body style:)

Attached Files: