Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I remove heavy aluminum corrosion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I have some aluminum parts that have heavy white aluminum corrosion on them. Is there something I can soak them in to break this up? I would just sand or steel wool the corrosion off, but some of the parts have aluminum badges/tags on them, and I am trying to preserve the images on the tags as best as possible. The images/paint, seems to be pretty much intact under some of the corrosion.

I tried CLR on them, didn't seem to do much. But maybe I didn't soak for long enough.

Does anybody know of a way remove this?

2. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

3. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

If I have to go that route, it would be a last resort. Soda blast would probably take it off, but would also potentially ruin the badges on the parts.

4. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Not sure the soda would damage the parts, was watching cable and saw a show Rick's Restorations, he had to soda blast a couple of vintage aluminum sheet parts, it worked well, it strips via chemical surface reaction. I think I would look into it.

5. Easy Off?? Though I'd for damn sure test it first.

Cosmo

6. jguff

jguff

There is a product called aluminum jelly, just like naval jelly but made for aluminum. It is an acid based gel. Look for it at your local hardware store.

Jerome

7. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I'd try some Simple Green and a soft brush first, before getting too harsh. Its al I use to clean aluminum, since just about anything harsher will leave the white corrosion you're describing.

8. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston
    from Ohio

I soda blasted a couple of carbs and their ID tags and was pleased. However I did use a reduced pressure of about 60 lbs. Even all the grunge from an early 50's Cushman carb cleaned up well. Wash well with a 50/50 soluton of vinegar and water and blow dry.

9. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

Ultra sonic cleaner. Water based and makes it look like new....

10. Nicholson

Nicholson

I use DuPont 225S Aluminum cleaner, 3M red scotchbrite pads and/or a stainless steel wire brush. It's an acidic cleaner that will eat away the corrosion and leave the aluminum bright and clean. It will take some work scrubbing the corrosion out of the deep pits. Also use rubber gloves and safety glasses. The stuff will burn your skin.

11. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

I've heard of guys being able to dial in the soda blaster enough to remove I coat of thin film product at a time. I would find you a good blasting company and ask them.

12. flthd

flthd

You might try a place like praxair. We use to get the stuff for cleaning aluminum before welding nasty stuff very acidic I wanna say cut hydrochloric but dont qoute me comes in a spay bottle,but it worked great. worth a shot.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  13. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

If you try the soda blast, mask off the emblems you don't want to ruin. I can tell you with certainty that soda blast will not penetrate duct tape. Also, as mentioned above, lower your preessure.

14. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

whats that stuff the heating and air guys clean condensers with... they spray it on and hose it off.. think its a diluted acid of some type... do a search on condenser cleaner.

15. wolfex1

wolfex1

I have use mag wheel cleaner. Get the type for wheels that do not have clear coat. It is an acid. I have used it with good results. It will leave the surface without any gloss, but it can be polished easily with all the usual methods. WX1