Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

I can't believe this is 400 pages now but am here checking it all the time!!
    Terry, you think the nhra will allow 200r4's in the reinstated 220 horse 57 deliverys?? Just kidding...

2. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

The answer to that question has already been determined. Several years ago NHRA permitted the substitution of the Metric 200 for the TurboGlide in cars that could have been equipped with the TG. (BTW, the 200 trans that is commonly used in today's Stockers is not the 200R4 w/overdrive but the 3-speed version.) Therefore, a 200 can be used in any V8 combination produced in '57, '58, or '59. It has already been raced in a '60 wagon.

When the rule was changed to allow any corporate transmission with the same number of forward speeds to substitute for the version originally produced, the outcome was inevitable. It was accepted that the TG was essentially a 3-speed automatic.

3. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

Thank you chuck. I was kind of thinking since the 4 speed truck hydro in a Delivery helped the controversy along back then it might not be too funny to the NHRA tech guys today...

4. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Just by reading the Magazine Articles and everyones Posting you can get a
    sense of how FUN it was back then.

The only thing about the 1972 Year Stock Class, was that it Sucked!
    And all those guys who poured money into their Stockers in 1970 and 1971,
    were slaughtered in Super/Stock in 1972.
    Amazing, how many guys were running in Super/Stock in 1972 with
    7" slicks.

pc

5. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Back in the early days the reason that cars got to race but were never actually produced had to do with the fact that the manufacturers would each year send the specs to NHRA pre-production. That is to say they had intentions of building the cars but for whatever reason sometimes they would decide not to build a certain combination or no one ordered that particular model. That did not stop someone from building and racing a car that showed up in the classguide.

A prime example of this was the 1970 Monte Carlo. I still have an old NHRA classguide that I used in my early days of teching at dragstrips. The 1970 Chevrolet page shows the Monte Carlo as a hardtop and a convertible. Everyone knows there was no Monte Carlo convertible built by the factory but with the specs being sent out pre-production, GM must have had plans to build it. They must have scrapped the planned model before production began. The convertible specs are still in the classguide today.

6. rj64

rj64
    from charlotte

Larry, I remember seeing the car at Pomona in 74' I think it was, don't have any pics, but I seem to remember the car having Fenton Gyros on it?

7. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Matt,
    There was a 1965 Dodge Coronet (Model 440 Hardtop) 426/365 HP Street-Wedge.
    It was originally from Burr's Dodge, out of Oneonta, New York.
    That car was yellow, with a black roof. No lettering, only 'Burr's Dodge' stenciled on the front fenders.
    The 426/365 HP in that car was called "W-32 Code' (Or 426-S).
    There were only a handful of those Coronet 'Model 440' hardtop cars produced.
    585 in total (403 4-speeds and 182 automatics)
    Ran in C/SA in 1966 (9.50-10.59 wt/hp). Turned 13.30's.
    Ran at Lebanon Valley, NY.

It was sold to a Rock-N-Roller out of Lake George, NY
    It was lettered "Bend Me, Shape Me", in 1967.
    Was classed in SS/EA in 1967, and SS/FA in 1968.
    It ran low 12.00's, but was not legal.
    Was supposed to have a Max-Wedge short block in it, with Stage III heads on it.
    Ran at South Glen Falls, NY and Milton, Vermont and Orange Dragstrip (Fitchburg, Mass.)

pc

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  8. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

Yes it did!

I'm still looking for photos, but not having any luck.

Larry

*btw - after the '57 - 210 - they had a '65 Malibu Wagon

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  9. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

Guys - I've never been one to take pics so my collection is kinda sparse. Does anybody have any pics of my cars?

1969 - '57 Chev sedan delivery K/SA
    1970 - '57 Chev 2 door (I honestly don't remember the class!)
    1971 - '68 Chevelle convertible M/SA (?)
    1972 - '68 Chevelle wagon SS/PA

Many thanks!

Skip Asay

10. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

And look at what a mess :eek: it has turned into today. Sorry :rolleyes:....I couldnt help saying that.

11. farm1810

farm1810

Don't misunderstand this remark. This thread has been so much fun to follow for me, I really appreciate it. The changes followed into the early 1970's with rule changes kind of makes me sick. I was never one of the racers, I only worked for one. I now understand why he chose to get out of it and started racing dirt bikes. Fascinating history. Thank you all for sharing it.

12. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

I've said it before and I'll say it again.:rolleyes: That car is %&*#$@!#& COOL !!

13. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

14. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Mr. Colesy,

A Dodge Colt station wagon at the 72' Winternationals.
    A 4-speed 'close-ratio' tranny!!! And a hollowed out muffler.

VERY NICE!!!!!!!
    Just what the NHRA Doctor ordered for 1972.

pc

15. Having been to Havana and seen all the old iron up to '59 (when the revolution happened) it was really cool. But the pics don't show that they just paint over the rust and holes, and the paint is about an inch thick on most of the cars - would take a long, long long time to strip one to lighten it up for racing! :eek:

16. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

The Capsel's had a flyin' 1968 Buick Special the for a time they DROVE to OCIR in 1969 and would run fast enough to run braxcket 1 (10.99 and faster). Was an amazing car! THose guys were tought to beat!

[​IMG]

17. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

Paul, I looked back at previous posts and I don't see any reference to a Colt Wagon anywhere.... what does your comment above relate to?

OK, NOW I SEE THE TINY LIL PICTURE IN POST #8026....

*** Paul, while I might appreciate your knowledge and previous racing experience, I do find your random one-sided posts a bit hard to keep up with at times, it's almost like you are talking to somebody else, and WE don't know who that is??

18. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

'Mrs. Robinsons',,,,,,,DODGE COLT
    I Mis-stated.
    The transmission was not a close-ratio, but a wide-ratio.
    With a wild (3.53 Ratio First Gear).
    Of course the nice thing,,,the 4-speeds came from the factory with
    4.22 rear-end gears!!!

A 1.6 cc (97.5 cubed) Hemi-Head 100 HP in-line 4-banger.
    The early heads, square-port design.

No Wonder Why They Were So Quick!!!

pc

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  19. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

I have to say that I did have a GOOD time this past Saturday at Bruce Larson's open house and Dragfest. There were some cool cars (not really Stockers) and saw some friends. I picked up a couple old "Eastern Drag News" that show "Anderson Olds" winning in BB/S several times and Sonny and Therese (Sonny Freeman who drove for Anderson Olds and his own cars) holding the record for awhile in H/SA. Sonny stayed busy usually running two cars at least once every weekend. If any local guys and gals make it to the Timonium show the first weekend in December make sure to stop and say "Hi". Until next time..... Dave.

20. 60s Racer

60s Racer
    from northeast

By the way, as a matter of ongoing interest, could some other folks (with better recall than me) attempt to clarify the timeline of that tumultuous NHRA rule-change era during the early to-mid 1970s period ... where Jr. Stock 'died' and the short-lived (NHRA) 'Pure Stock' evolved into somewhat of a reincarnation of Jr. Stock. Most of that information resides (albeit somewhat piecemeal) within these 400 pages, but it would be really useful to have it definitively chronicled in a timeline format. I'm pretty-sure most of our newer members would appreciate it.

Thanks!
    ... Steve

Kentuckian - You can probably answer this best . Please do.

[/QUOTE]

21. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

I remember it pretty well. Was building a '68 GTX for D/SA with street tires , no headers and full exhaust (uncorked okay). Factory cams (no blueprints) We had a regrind that would check just fine. Got a deal on Concorde Trac-Action tires (remember those?) rear L60 X 15 and front runners, too....We used a pinon snubber and 6 cylinder torsion bars to get the car to lift, but it was still hard to hook, so we moved the cam timing around trying to kill some bottom end. About the time we got it sorted out the rules changed again.....

22. AHotRod

AHotRod

Ahhhhhh ....... I remember those days ^^^^^^^^^^^^

23. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Just a reminder for the newer folks who have not 'Rated' our humble little thread yet. Its EZ to do, just pick your choice from the drop-down menu at the top (right) of this page.

As I write this, there have been but 68 votes cast so far, for a (4.94 out of 5.00) five-star [​IMG] rating. Methinks we may have a few more than 68 members.

Thanks!
    ... Steve

24. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hey Colesy and everyone out there, I'd be glad to scan and post the "Eastern Drag News" if I could. You see, I only have a lap-top. That is precisely why I never add pictures or other items of interest. And I am glad to hear that you (and I hope others) are searching for anything related to the "Anderson Olds" cars. Thanks again, Dave.

25. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

Count Me in Too!!!:D:D:D

Where's it at???

Larry

**I'm looking at scanners this weekend so's I can post up some old photos also

26. BadNews

BadNews

27. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

BadNews,
    I had a set of those M & H "S" grooved slicks (for street/strip).
    If I recall, they had 4 grooves in them. And you could use them for the street,
    DOT legal.
    I can't remember, but I think the maximum width for stock class was 8".

28. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

It was more than 8 inches. The average L-60 was 8 3/4 wide. If it was DOT some of the M&H's were 10 to 12 inches wide. Cars like a Buick, Olds, and Chevelle used a pretty wide sticky M&H DOT tire. I dont have a 1972-74 rule book but maybe someone could look it up.

29. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson

In the 1973 NHRA rule book it states that cars in stock class are required to use street tires with full tread pattern. Any tire wheel combination may be used if it will fit into the original wheel well opening. Tires must not be altered from the tire manufacturer's original design or pattern. "CHEATER SLICKS' WILL NOT BE ALLOWED. I think 1971 and earlier were limited to 7 inch tires.I do know that was the case with slicks. I do not know what the the rule was for pure stock. ROBERT

30. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

On the subject of soft and sticky rear tires... I recently purchased these for my Junior Stock / Super Stock parts hoard. A pair of 9.50-14 Atlas Bucrons. I've owned vintage tires before(usually some dry rot) but these are still super soft, pliable, and in awesome condition! Even after 50+ Years!!! They'll soon be mounted to a pair of chrome reverse wheels. I'm saving these for my next project... something early... being a Ford Guy maybe a 1958 to 1962 Fairlane/Galaxie.

I'm sure some of you guys who actually ran these back in the day will enjoy the pics.:)

-Joe

Just got this info from the fellow hamb'r I bought these from. Thanks again John356!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010