Register now to get rid of these ads!

Home made blasting cabinet for cheap? Who's done it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, Oct 26, 2010.

1. nali

nali

What the pb ? Use duck tape around the door , cut the door and bond a plexyglass .
    You ll have a perfect sand blast machine :p

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I keep walking around the old Fridge that I have sitting out by the garage that needs to go to the dump 30.00 fee or be converted into something useful. I was going to rig the lightbulb to stay on full time and make a paint locker out of it to keep my paint from freezing.

3. thegrappler

thegrappler

I used a suction system for years and it is the slowest waste of time I've ever spent, I built a low/high pressure pot system Designed by PA-Blaster. It is 10 times faster and that's no B.S. I couldn't believe it. :eek:

4. nali

nali

I ve just tried this afternoon my slow blaster on my 38 Buik , and it s soft :p
    Should not take more than 4 day to sand the whole body ..

5. My homemade cabinet blaster has adjustable feet made from 3/4" bolts and nuts welded in the legs so that may be an idea for your height. My window was from a tempered house window with ripoff plastic sheets from Princess Auto. My front window is hinged and latched and it also has a side door for bigger/longer items. I installed two flood lights in the top and a old vaccuum cleaner exhaust. Good luck.

6. David Allen

David Allen

The cabinet from the Journal looks just like the one I built from a 55 gal. drum. What I'm adding here is this. I used an old propane tank with a bung welded on the bottom and a quarter turn ball valve for a mixer/regulator coupled with an old siphon fed blasting gun. It is a pressure fed bead blaster that adds siphon at the business end. The propane tank has a "T" at the top where the air comes in then drops to the bottom of the tank to pick up at the 1/4 turn valve/mixer/sand regulator. Another air line attaches at the siphon gun to aid in the sand blast pressure. It works very well and was made from junk laying around the shop.

7. nali

nali

Many of you use a vacuum . I ve found a fan from a dryer . We can have them for free when ppl get rid of them .
    It works great , and is really less noisy than a vacuum cleaner ..
    It s nice when you have to sandblast for 2 hours ..

8. big bad john

big bad john

........Wow........great design.......Think I'll build one.....Thanks

9. roddinron

roddinron

A friend of mine has a metal fab shop and needed to blast large parts. He ended up putting a window and gloves through the wall of the shop. Parts and mess were outside he was inside.:)

10. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I lucked out a few years ago. I was renting a shop in a multi-tenant building in a two building complex and we all shared the same dumpster area. One day I noticed an old industrial control cabinet sitting out by the dumpster, it was a 6'x6'x'6' steel cube. I asked around and found one of my neighbors sat it out there for one of the local scrap scavengers to come get it on their weekly rounds in the industrial park. The guy said I could have it for free if I wanted it, this was before the price of scrap sky rocketed. It works great as a blast cabinet. It had a double set of doors on the front and back, one set I took off and replaced with a solid piece of particle board with a view window and arm holes. The back set are used for access. I use a syphon feed type blaster and have installed four beveled ledges inside with a hole in the middle so the media, black slag, funnels back into the blaster hopper.

11. 067chevy

067chevy

12. budd

budd

13. PeeVee

PeeVee

That should work hope you get it.

14. thegrappler

thegrappler

15. budd

budd

so i went and checked it out and i pick it up tonight, their even supplying a helper for free, and as i was walking out they asked if i wanted the checkouts as well, 8 ft of polished stainless steel with the conveyors, there are 12 of those.

16. stavros7a

stavros7a
    from Ca

You could make Bagels and crescent rolls too...

17. thegrappler

thegrappler

Haha! thats funny, might be a bit gritty though!

18. wsdad

wsdad

19. indyjps

indyjps

before you dismantle that consider using it for a large Powder Coat oven.

20. Gigantor

Gigantor

You guys aren't going to believe this, but about a week after I started this thread, my best friend from Boston called up to tell me he had lost his shop space and needed some space to store a few things for a while - among them a 48"x24" Skat Blast blasting cabinet! Umm - okay! I had to order a foot pedal valve and need to buy some hoses, but holy crap, that was fortuitous. The last time he asked me to hold on to something for him was 4 years ago and that stuff is still in my attic. Score!

21. budd

budd

i have thought about powdercoat oven, and maybe i will use it for that, but it has to come apart to get it out, it was built in place.

22. sama3033

sama3033

I found a couple of reconditioned 85 gallon drums for $65 a piece - following the lead of some of the plans I've seen here - nice spacious blast cabinet and a powder cooker coming up. I'll post pictures when I'm done. Shoot me a message if anyone wants reconditioned drums - 85's, 55's and I think these guys may even have 110's! Endless supply. They're in New Jersey.

23. swimeasy

swimeasy

I just got off of the phone with this guy and he has a unit set up at his place set up and ready to try. At 300 bucks, I think that this is a great deal if you put much value on your time(cost to build). I searched and found this thread and am glad that I did!:D