Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Chevy Pickup; My First Classic (Build Thread)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rivera, Nov 7, 2010.

1. I wish mine had been that slick when I bought it home. It was a real turd. I used the 700R4 tranny in mine and am happy with it. I did my door opening old school, took the vent lock off the drivers door and reach through to the inner door handle.
    Good luck!
    Later,
    Dick

Attached Files:

2. rivera

rivera
    from Ogden, UT

Considering the Turbo 350 is already sitting in there, I might just go that route. Is it true the 700R4 needs a different cross member? Would this be an issue with the Camaro front subframe? Sorry for the stupid questions, just really new to this and I'd like to get all my info straight before I start buying parts and making plans.

Anyone have any experience with this product?

http://www.performanceonline.com/19...NUM-FUEL-TANK-COMBO-KITS-BED-FILL-AGT5559-BK/

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  3. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

im not to familiar with these trucks is the frame fully boxed? If the 700R4 requires a different cross member its not that big of a deal ot to make one just square tubing with a flat plate welded to it
    sorry for the blurry picture

Attached Files:

4. rivera

rivera
    from Ogden, UT

Not sure if the frames fully boxed or not. Hell, I don't even know what that means! Still a greenhorn here. Doesn't look too hard to make. Will it be worth it to run a 700R4 over the Turbo 350?

5. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

The 700r4 gives you overdrive, i would run what you have for a while, your gas milage will not dependas much on the tranny as it will the rearend. I have learnt to take your time and drive it like you buy it for a bit then see IF you want to make changes.

6. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

no the frames arent boxed , you can get universal trans crossmembers or make your own . ive got a 55 and doing the camaro subframe was the best thing i ever did !
    FINK

7. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

The 700r gives the overdrive but a lot of people run the turbo 350 tranny with no problems if you have a good one i would run that first and save the money a 700r would cost, as far a boxed vs non boxed, non boxed are a frame with a C style frame rail-has a top, bottom, outside rail, a boxed frame has an inside plate on the frame. the picture i posted is of a boxed frame.

8. rivera

rivera
    from Ogden, UT

Good point. It'll make everything easier if I just use the turbo 350 so that's what its gonna be.

I've read alot of good about the camaro subframe. Is it the same as the camaro front clip?

Hopefully the one I have is good. We won't know until we get it all together! Is the turbo 350 decent for highway cruising? Thats my biggest concern.

Also, I posted a link to a fuel tank a few posts back, is that the regular price for one? I'm debating getting that one or having one made a local place around here.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  9. You buy your first old car and then want to get rid of the big block ? That's crazy, how are you going to learn if you don't get to work ?
    Not to be a prick but you bought an old car it's not going to have the same manners as a new car, you seem to be caught up on gas milage and cruising at 70 not having an old car.
    On the door handle part you should be able to look from the inside to see where the old holes are by the way.

10. rivera

rivera
    from Ogden, UT

I don't think cruising at 70 and getting 20 mpgs seems that far-fetched. Maybe if we were still in '57 it would be but it seems like a realistic goal to me. And getting rid of the big block was one of the decisions I made to achieve that goal, crazy or not. I don't expect it to be like modern day car in all aspects but its definitely not gonna be what it was in '57.

11. ratrodjunkie

ratrodjunkie

I have not had any good experiences with 700r4 transmissions holding up. I would leave the TH350 in there or convert to 5 speed.

12. 1959apache

1959apache

I have a 700r4 in mine, the bolt in crossmember that they sell on classicparts.com or truckandcarshop slide right in.

13. Have had really good luck with the 700r4. I have driven the shit out of it. If they are built right and the kick down is adjusted right there should be no problem.
    Later,
    Dick

14. rivera

rivera
    from Ogden, UT

Thanks for the info in the 700r4.. I might look into that down the road but for now its most likely gonna be the turbo 350. Are the '59 doors and windshield interchangeable with the '57?

15. devilleish

devilleish

I put an S10 trans in my '55 with the stock 265 V8... Someone earlier in its life had swapped to an 11" clutch from a 3/4 ton truck and my dad had put in a '57 car 3 speed in the mid 80s, so the output splines matched. I found an 11" disc from an 85-89 Astro with the 4.3L V6/5speed and from there the input fit. I had to shave about 1/8" off the pilot, cut 3/4" off the bearing retainer where the throwout rides, and shim the trans out a little less than 1/4" to keep the splines out of the pilot bearing. Works like a dream, but First gear is so steep it's almost unuseable with the stock 4.10 gears.

16. rivera

rivera
    from Ogden, UT

Ordered a seat and a wiring harness. Next up is the fuel tank. What are my options for an under the bed fuel tank?

17. Here's my friend's project, if you think you need more cab room. Just got the PPG DP primer and the other is the gas tank option that will be partially below an oak flatbed with black walnut side rails. It has a built 350/400 combo, Firebird rear (3.55's) disks all around and a Volare front end. He's been driving it with the stock cab for about 10 yrs, just turned 76.

Attached Files:

18. Gator

Gator

Look at an early Mustang tank, they hold 16 gallon tanks, they're flat on top and they're CHEAP on Ebay.

19. rivera

rivera
    from Ogden, UT

I've heard this a lot on another forum I've seen. Has anyone actually mounted one?

Also, I noticed my dash has been smoothed out and theres no glove box. Is there supposed to be one? I'd kinda like to have one for storing stuff.

20. rivera

rivera
    from Ogden, UT

Up for some more info on the mustang tank.

21. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

What's wrong with the stock location?

22. rivera

rivera
    from Ogden, UT

It's already been cut out. Kinda like it like that since theres not much room for storage in the cab in the first place.