Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery cars...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hackerbilt, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Got a couple of cars to ID
    ok...got the first one IDed as a 53 Plymouth...but this cowl is a total mystery.

The second is a mystery cowl we found today in a place we've checked out a couple of times before but missed this item due to the VW remains masking it!

Looks like a 20's closed car cowl...but closer inspection shows only two small (and hidden) hinges to support each door.
    The posts are made of wood with outer steel cladding, into which the hinges recess.
    No exposed hinges once the door is shut.

It has a header that appears to be set up for an external sun visor like a Model A...but we're still not convinced its a closed car...maybe an open touring due to the very lightweight door mounting.
    There is also a single cast bracket on the inside of the windshield post...but only on the right side. No idea what its for.

There is an interesting FOOT CONTROLLED cowl vent.
    Very interesting piece!

The dash was recessed under the cowl and the top of the cowl had two high mounted cowl lights.

The lower firewall has two rounded bulges toward the bottom for stiffness.

There is also a cast tube and pully shown in one of the pics that we BELIEVE was part of a dash mounted hand brake system. We aren't SURE of that though. It could be anything...but we'd love to know!

Any ideas on the make and year?

I'm thinking about getting the cowl vent foot control to put in my coupe. It'd be an interesting piece to use...

Hope you guys enjoy IDing these two!
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. Thumper

Thumper

The top one looks to be a 53 plymouth....or thereabouts.

3. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

It looks to me like it could all be Mopar but I am not sure. I know someone on here will know and tell you though.

4. Squablow

Squablow

The first one is definitely a 53 or 54 Plymouth.

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I've followed up on all your suggestions of a 53ish Plymouth and I'm sure you all have it nailed dead on!
    The gas filler was in the correct location as well as the door window shape...so I'm convinced.
    Thanks guys...but that pesky cowl is winning so far.

I've been looking at a lot of pictures and can't find anything close.
    Anyone have some suggestions???

6. louie the fly

louie the fly

Yep, top middle is the rear of a Plymouth. Not sure of the year of the US models, but it's the same as the Australian 53-56 model Dodge Kingsway, Plymouth Cranbrook & DeSoto Diplomat. The body panels came from the northern US state of Canada. My 54 Dodge Kingsway looks exactly like that. Not sure of the others.

7. fitzee

fitzee

Seems the guys are right on the Plymouth.Had a look at some 53 and 54 and seen a lot of the lines and door shapes. Cool. Now on to the cowl. Been looking myself Bill and no luck. The door hings have me stumped.

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

The data tag on the door pillar is another Mopar indication def 53-54 Plymouth, ya gonna bring it home and fix it Fitzee? it cant be too much rustier than Flatliner was :p

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Thats why i took that pic...figured it would be a dead giveaway to someone who knew the vehicle.
    It's not all that much worse than the Flatliner Steve...except the roof fell off. :D:D:D

Man...the early cowl seems to be a stumper for everyone!

Early 20's...appears to be left hand drive due to the vent pedal placement so it isn't English. I wonder is it a Canadian make?
    The pedals for the vent and the dash handbrake makes me think it MIGHT be a higher priced vehicle for its day.

I'm gonna go back tomorrow and get the cowl vent pedals.
    Shame to let something so old and different go to waste. Not often you find a full, unbroken mechanism in something that old around here.

Not often you find something that old...period.
    It should be saved.

10. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Im no expert but i think its the other half of my mystery body!! Fellow HAMBers got me the answer of a 1925 Studebaker Duplex...
    I believe that is the cowl you have found!!

this pic was taken from the web
    [​IMG]

my body
    [​IMG]

11. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

original from web

[​IMG]

12. fitzee

fitzee

Slick Willy You nailed it. I can see the window posts that were on the other body. the lights,no belt line and no hinges and also the recessed dash with the oval gage pod opening.1925 Studebaker it is. How cool is this. CSI HAMB!

Not very off you can stump the Hamb.

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Wow! That IS it.

We had a discussion at the site about the find...mulled over the aspects of the construction to try to narrow down what it may have looked like as a way to find the make and model.
    I was leaning towards a fully closed car due to the heavy windshield posts and the cast iron/thick wood header and sunvisor across the top.
    fitzee pointed out the small, thin hinges, mounted only to the lower post and decided it must be an open car...despite the heavy windshield posts.

Turns out we were BOTH right!!!

It's kinda like the forerunner of the "4 door Hardtop". No center posts!

Slickwilly...too bad the cowl is in such bad shape.
    No way it's fit for restoration or you might be interested in getting it to add to your back section.
    We'd be happy to get construction details and measurements off it for you, along with additional pictures, if you were thinking of recreating a front for yours...as long as the snow cooperates! :) LoL

Thanks for the ID.
    Very cool and interesting transition vehicle between open and closed roof.
    Your lucky to have that rear section.

14. The northern US State of Canada? You guys crack me up!

15. lawman

lawman

"Solved" !!!!! Tom (Tired Old man)

16. Slick Willy

Slick Willy