Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures In A Nut Shell...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 12, 2010.

1. RF

RF

Disgruntled any? Nah...

2. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

After watching the video I cant even remember what Janet was bitching about.

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Well put 296. I've read the magazines since the '60s, lost interest in most of them at one point or another because they didn't really cover the stuff that I find interesting. I've been on here for a couple of years, read thousands of posts and am constantly amazed at the level of knowledge and ingenuity displayed by the HAMBers. No magazine or stuffed shirt "Janet" could even come close to the breadth of knowledge displayed on this site. Maybe "Janet" should stick with his latte and go wax his Prius. He doesn't have a clue.
    Eli

4. 35ihcc1

35ihcc1

I read the email, and watched the video and i dont know about you but the Journal to me helps me stay in contact with my past. My dad raised me in the garage and since he's passed I turn to the Journal now for advice. I read all the posts and think about the times I spent with him busting our knuckles on a car. I think this was a awesome of an idea and I think you and the moderators do a HELL of a goog job keeping this running. Im proud to say Ive got something in common with everybody on here! H.A.M.B.er's FOREVER!!

5. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Interesting montage, I liked it. I have been looking at the HAMB/Jalopy Journal for a lot shorter time than a lot of folks. It took about three years for me to figure out I liked/understood it enough to register. There have been times I hated it, but I always come back. I think the Roach Rod finally won me over into the magic world of electrons, funny huh. Any who the print industry has only it self to blame for its falure, just like american car companys they just don't seem to get it. Viva LA Hamb it truly is the future of traditional hot rodding.

6. You said it right Ryan; 'Mainstream' that's what he/she has become.
    this Shemale doesn't see it herself çause she/it is right in the middle of it.
    Rodders were never mainstream, they were 'swimming' against the stream.
    If you don't like that anymore and start bein' afraid of change then you've become mainstream.
    Rodding is about one thing and one thing only: to build a car and live a life that you like, period.
    Do your thing Ryan, I like it !!!

7. 1320/150

1320/150

laptop!!! and sandwich is all I need in the bathroom!!

8. I'm just wondering if she sent the same letter to Mr Gore. After all he is the reason we are all here, isn't he?

9. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

It indeed sounds like a case of sour grapes on Janet's part. I think she's feeling left behind and that's a shame. This hobby to me has been evolving since it's beginnings, it's only natural to move to a simpler (and more rewarding) time. I don't care for the high dollar street machines but I do respect the work and time involved in building one.
    I can however empathize with Janet's skewed take on the site. The anonimity of the internet allows and at times encourages tasteless comments and verbal bashing. One person makes a stupid comment and the once voiceless rabble jumps in and trys to outdo each other. It happens on many sites, not just this one. My guess is that the majority of this behavior comes from immature wannabees. We've all seen it, people saying things on here that would most likely result in an ass kicking if it was said to someone's face.
    I choose to ignore the chicken shit garbage, obviously Janet can't. Until Bill Gates creates an idiot filter I'll shake my head and wonder if the offending partie's mother knows their idiot is using her computer

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's not even funny anymore, the original quote was twisted around. Al Gore is indeed one of the reasons the internet got funded and expanded.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

11. moefuzz

moefuzz

The bullshit, misinformation and outright lies that rags like (Popular) Hot Rodding, Car and Driver (etc) has spewed for the last 40+ years is what killed magazines, not the HAMB.

I have never read such overly biased, slanted, pro 'big corporation' bullshit than in the pages of the magazines that were supposed to be reporting the real story on new car quality and performance.

(in the old days)At least rags like Rod and Custom etc merely showed us the flip side of the coin. -Real cars built by real gearheads.

The HAMB doesn't pretend to be anything more than a sight for guys interested in the build up or the history of autos, hotrodding/racing.

And Those that are biased/misinformed here were biased and intentionally mislead by the likes of the writers/editors from (Popular) Hot Rodding, Car and Driver (etc) over many decades and long before the HAMB every existed

In my humble opinion, rags like (Popular) Hot Rodding have done more to twist facts figures and history than any other publication on the face of this earth whether car related or not.

If any editor of any magazine wishes to complain about the lack of interest in automotive rags then he should look squarely into the eyes of the editors of the above stated magazine and ask them
    "How long did you expect to keep lying to the automotive readers and not upset their intellect?"

In regards to "Janet" and the note pointed at Ryan/HAMB...
    -Well, Anyone with a handful of braincells can easily read between the lines of what "Janet" had to say...

"With a complete lack of appreciation for the men that brought this industry up",

....in other words, lied to us for the 40+ years before the HAMB popped on the scene

"you have allowed the audience to speak their mind carelessly and recklessly. "

(instead of filtering replies so that only the pro "big corporation" crowd is heard as to not upset our biggest paying advertiser)

"I can’t and won’t continue to read this trash and I want to warn you about the reputation you are leaving in your wake of destruction".

Well If that isn't the most hypocritical nonsense I have ever read..
    It was long ago when
    "I couldn't and wouldn't read the trash from lying hypocritical editors of magazines that didn't have the foresight to see that they were insulting a great multitude by thinking that we the sheeple just naturally believed all the bullshit that they wrote of and/or was even closely related to facts, figures and truths"

"it is you the print world blames for stealing our hard work".

Really?
    I don't see any pro "big corporation" slant here?
    I don't see any free delco batteries for mentioning how great those big corporations are/were?

I do see a hypocritical editor blaming free media for wrecking the gravy train of big brother ads that paid for fat cat meals in posh hotels in order to slant and bias the auto industry to one brand name over the other.

just my humble opinion and I am opinionated

moe

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  12. squirrel

squirrel

Huh, my wife's name is Janet. and I'm Squirrel.

But she don't write for no stinking magazines.

13. skidsteer

skidsteer

I do not believe the claim that 'Janet' has been reading for over a decade. Someone who actually reads the HAMB could not have come to those conclusions.

14. Dunno Scott, perception is reality. He was taking credit and inserting loafer in mouth with that line:D

15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Easy there, killer.

-Brad

16. squirrel

squirrel

Funny stuff Brad!

I think it's all about the money....and you happen to write articles about doing stuff without any money.

Any coincidence that this shit storm happened around the time of SEMA?

:)

17. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I wondered about that.

18. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

Same thing has happened in all other hobbies, industries, professions.
    Communication paradigm shift.

Some thought they were doing well at cornering the agenda.

The hobby is ours.

There is an irony. Traditional hotrodding feeding itself with cutting-edge communications.

I like it. Ryan, to the extent this was your brainchild, its brilliant.

Same thing is going on other boards, like rennlist, btw. Unbelievable connectivity and sharing! Absolute frustration amongst the few that want to control the thought process and dialog. Total euphoria amongst enthusiasts posting data, fixit methods, shopmanuals, cutting parts for each other on 4 axis machines. Cool, cool stuff.

19. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Rob, It's easy for you to say that, because you see what you want to see....disgruntled or not, the truth is truth. Weren't you the one that used to joke about putting a blurb on the cover "Now with more ads!"

You can label me disgruntled if it makes your day easier for you. But the day I got hired, I remember you telling me "it's very corporate around here". And that was when it was Primedia, Sourceintercourse took it to a whole new level.

I still have a copy of the bloggers handbook. I could post all of it to prove my point. But would not want to put Ryan through any more trouble than this has generated for him.

[​IMG]

Perhaps you missed the bottom of my post where I mentioned this:

Magazines can still be great, but managed by a mega corporation, it’s not likely until the magazines become independent again and beholden to their readers.

That is why Janet is afraid. He is a shake and bake bag and fears he has just become disposable

Tman likes this.
  20. Brad,Mikey, RF and others on here........................we know who the good magazine folks are. Sorry you didn...................................naw, just kidding! Keep up the great work guys!

21. willysgasser40

willysgasser40
    from Illinois

Personally I have never bought a new "car magazine" only have old used ones from before 1964

22. dudley32

dudley32

Sorry to post so late..just got in from three eleven hour days...quit buying rags about ten years ago..was turned on to the H.A.M.B. buy a friend and fellow rodder......
    and never looked back...thanks Ryan...d32

23. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Hey Janet.... Step up to the plate and STOP hiding behind the keyboard.....

24. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

For me
    If there were no more internet - publications - shows - and even if they made it illegal . I would still do old cars -old trucks - boats - bikes - and old stuff in general.
    Magazines and the internet are only a small inspiration …… more of a tool in my box.

Sorry there “Janet” your not that important.

BTW great " video montage " I enjoyed it

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  25. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

One of the things that has always bothered me about hot rod magazines is the "tech", "how to", or "new product" articles that prominently feature, and praise some product for how great it is and how it is the only way to go, and usually with in 3 pages of the advertisement of the product. That being said I can understand featuring products from those that pay for advertisement, but we the reader are paying for the magazine and would like at least the odd article here or there about a product based on its own merits and not reliant on the manufacturer greasing the palms of the editors.

26. 38standard

38standard
    from il.

It seems kinda funny because hambers are getting a lot of magazine coverage lately.

27. MeanOlB

MeanOlB
    BANNED
    from The South

I have the same problem with this site as I have with TRJ - neither of you know English and neither of you employ a proofreader.

I canceled my TRJ subscription because they simply cannot print a single issue that isn't full of glaring typos and horrible word usages. It's ridiculous to pay that much money for a magazine that can't even bother to mix in the occasional spell check or grammar check software.

This site, however, is a different matter - it costs me nothing to read it and your typos are usually pretty funny. "Shutter" instead of "shudder" and so on - simple homonym confusion.

As for the old magazines - I read them as long ago as the late 50s, as I was hanging around with my older brothers while we messed with cars - Fords, Chevies, the occasional Brit sports car and so on. The writing was better then, but I don't mind letting go of the old days - they were fun then but mostly irrelevant now.

Hot rodding, is, at its core, about having fun, building things and going fast. Keep true to those principles and you will be fine. Just step up your writing and you will be the best thing going.

28. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Hot Rod, Street Rodder, and Rod & Custom Magazines created this world for you?!!...yeah right after Al Gore invented the internet.

I don't post alot, I'm still learning, and don't have much more than dittos to contribute but I can't thank you enough (Ryan) for this site. It's like a time machine. All the information and resources available here are an open gateway to the past present and future. The collective knowledge base is truly astounding, and it's free to all. You live the dream with out having share holders to report to, or secondary hidden agendas. It's the only way to be, and apparently creates quite a bit of envy.

29. Opinions are like assholes..........

30. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Which points out the problem- Computers are the NEW "Asshole"... HA HA HA!!!