Register now to get rid of these ads!

6 lug to 8 lug conversion????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LUCKY DEVIL 13, Sep 9, 2010.

1. LUCKY DEVIL 13

LUCKY DEVIL 13

I have a set of '56 ford dually front drums that I am planning on using on the duall project I am currently working on and I just bought a set of aluminum dually wheels that require an 8 blot hub and the 56 hub is a 6 bolt....so my ? is - what can I do to swap this over to an 8 bolt hub?????

PLEASE help!!

Thanx LUCKY DEVIL

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

Is there enough meat, and are the bolt circles the same diameter or different enough, that you could redrill it?

Or maybe you could look at pics of 60s ford one tons and see if they went to 8 lug before they switched to disk brakes (around 1970 or so?) and then do some bearing size research and see if a later hub would work.

3. LUCKY DEVIL 13

LUCKY DEVIL 13

Thanx Jim I will look into the different hubs as I checked on havin them redrilled and I would run into the problem of not being able to get them lined up correctly. Otherwise I did find adapters that convert from 6 to 8 also, so I guess that is an option as well

4. my 67 GMC has 8 lugs with drums.

5. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Just to clarify:

The drums are off the front of a 56 ford, and you are trying to use them on the rear? Or the front?

The wheels you bought, is it just rear or did you get a full set of 6?

If the rear axle you are using is from a 56 ford large truck, I think the ratio is going to be hellaciously low.

To get an 8 lug pattern, I would look for a different rear axle from a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. Chevy uses an 8 lug setup from the early 60s (probably 50s, even) through present time.

6. LUCKY DEVIL 13

LUCKY DEVIL 13

No it's the front axle - The front axle is off a 54 ford and the drums and hubs I have are off of the front axle of a 56 ford dually

The wheels are a set of 4 I will use a stell inner dual rim on the rear

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011