Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A fan-rad clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chemin, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Chemin

Chemin

So I've got my engine in my mounted where I thought
    I wanted it but when I put the rad where it's going to sit the distance between the fan and the rad looks to be too far. What is the maximum distance the fan can be from the rad? I'm running a SBF 302 and a Walker rad.

Attached Files:

2. HotRod31

HotRod31

I wouldn't want it more than a couple inches, you might try a spacer & a shroud to help pull air.

Later,Mark

3. Chemin

Chemin

Thanks Mark, I do have a 1.5in spacer in already. I know there is a long and short water pump but I'm not sure which one I have. How much closer will the long pump bring it?

4. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

Why not chop the radiator and mount it on top of the cross member like Henry did it?

5. Chemin

Chemin

Cost is the primary reason. Although, i haven't looked into what it would cost to shorten it here in SW Ontario. I also have a stock height '32 grill and shell that I would need to shorten.

6. Troyz

Troyz

Is the crossmember/trans mount & driveline in? spacers, long pumps and pulleys aren't going to make that right. I think you have three choices...move the motor and trans forward (if you're not too far along) or chop the rad/ grill shell & put where it belongs or run an electric fan. A lot of work, or a lot of money, or street rod bandaid?

7. Rude Dude

Rude Dude

Since you channeled the body even a stock 32 Shell would look out of place like prior post said Shorten Radiator and shell and put were Henry had it. You will be happier
    I forgot to had if you dont cut and need a fan and shroud I used one from pontiac fiero fits perfect on 32 Radiator just change motor from push to pull from any same year GM product cheap at wrecking yard!

8. Chemin

Chemin

The tranny mount is just tacked in place so it could be moved. I can also make a larger mounting plate for it and leave the crossmember where it is.

My thinking with putting the rad and shell in front of the front crossmember was that I could mount them lower and wouldn't need to chop either.

I guess that's why they say measure twice and cut one.

9. Slorolnlow

Slorolnlow
    from Florida

One problem I have run into putting a sbf in a Model A is fitting the lower radiator hose around a good sized fan like yours.Seems the fan blades get right in the way.