Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures In A Nut Shell...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 12, 2010.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice BRAD!!:p

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I wasn't calling you an asshole

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Damn, y'all got some wild girl scouts out there! Only the crack heads turn tricks here.

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

I know...I was. :D

5. Does "Janet" not remember that in the early days all hotrodders were considered hoodlums? And without those hoodlums, he wouldn't have job today!!!!

"Janet", I am sorry that you are so closed minded and are mad that people actually get what real hotrodding is again.......

""With a complete lack of appreciation for the men that brought this industry up"" - are you kidding me???????

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  6. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Ya know, this is probably the best, most sensible post in this entire thread....and it was written by a drunk guy.

7. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

8. Just watched the video, nice work.

9. big creep

big creep

well done ryan well done! and love the end with bobbys tanker!

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, 18 pages in 2 days. Yup, this place and all Hot Rodding is doomed................:rolleyes:

Hey Ryan, if I were to....say.......want to send an e-mail to..........say..........this Janet. Where would I send that exactly??

Doc.

11. farm boy

farm boy
    from reedley

well I'm 61 yrs. old and thought I knew everything about hot rods but then back around 2000-2001 i discovered the jalopy journal (for the first few weeks got it mixed up with Marts hot rods) any way, been lurkin' and learnin' ever since.

I am addicted to this site. have not bought any mags other than TRJ 'cause I love the history.

I really stoped buying mags about a year after R&C did the Pet & Jakes Coupes are for chickens issue 71-72? I was really lost in the fiftys and sixties, come the mid 70s HOT RODING kinda died for me, the stuff in the mags is not what I wanted to see or read about, still stuck in the 60s.

I have every HR -R&C from '56 to '71, THEY WERE JUST DIFFERENT, the how to stuff was really bare bones DIY, not go to your catalog, buy this kit and here's how you assemble it. Oh well , my 2 cents

Everyone on the 340+ hits on this thread have said it all, and as for Janet,
    Poor old debby the downer, That guy need an attitude adjustment.

Ryan, God Bless you. Thanks for giving Hot Rodders of all kinds a NEW mag to read every day.
    oly

12. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Consider the source......Sourceinterlink. A company who's management refuses to accept they are no longer the puppet masters. Their strings have been clipped and now they are threatened!

Sure they own nearly every major title on the shelf....big deal. They are not gaining new readers, and have lost many of their older readers, that scares the shit out of them more than you can imagine.

They rack their collective brains in desperate attempts to deceive their advertisers and readers that they are still relevant. They could still be relevant if they actually were honest with the readership, and stopped catering to the advertisers while writing glowing reports on products that fail to live up to the hype. How many damned stories can you vomit out about upgrading the suspension on your muscle car or hot rod? Why does every car have to be a “Canyon carver” and pull a full “g” on the skid pad? So the fuck what!

For years and years and years they dismissed the internet as a flash in the pan, a fad or trend. Finally they could ignore the internet no longer; they schemed upon the idea of having their editor’s blog every day. Of course they had to blog about….guess what? The advertiser’s product! They paid the search engines to have their key words come up first, on any type of automotive search. Joe Sixpack clicks on the link, realizes it’s just a damned ad and leaves the site. Who cares it’s a still a hit and they can sell that number to an advertiser and generate more revenue. But what about the reader?

The reader does not matter, they know what’s best for you, they know what parts you need to buy in order to build a ride they will feature. Many readers have simply moved on and migrated to other avenues for their information. What ever type of car you are into….there is an internet forum dedicated to that car or group…….and that scares them so bad their shit turns white.

Magazines can still be great, but managed by a mega corporation, it’s not likely until the magazines become independent again and beholden to their readers.

That is why Janet is afraid. He is a shake and bake bag and fears he has just become disposable.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  13. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Hey Mike, :)

Attached Files:

14. striper

striper

Well Ryan, I'm just glad the magazines laid all that salt, built those FEDs, and created all those bitchin customs. If they hadn't, that video clip would have been fucking boring.

I think you knew before you posted this the kind of reaction you would get. Still, it was worth posting. I only read a few pages but what struck me was how many old timers, guys with a join date in the early 2000's and post counts in the low 100s have responded. That says to me that Janet has missed the mark by a long shot and that your support here is from more than us "Johnny come Lately's". I've only been doing this for a little over 20 years. What would I know?

Funny timing too. I just looked in my bookshelf yesterday and found my latest TRJ still in the plastic. I love that mag but it's just not as important anymore.

Thank you Ryan

Pete

15. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

I thought it was the fiberglass catalog crap, the Easter egg colors, and the stuck up jackwagon next to that kinda car that ruined hot rodding. Maybe "Janet" is that jackwagon.

Ryan...everyone is entitled to their opinion...but what counts is the majority, keep up the work. This site has more information than a stack of "rodding" magazines from the last twenty or so years!

16. 2002p51

2002p51

Okay, I'll admit to not having read this entire thread. But after going through about 7 or 8 pages I'm pretty sure I've got the jist of what everybody's feeling.

But let's try a different take. I read and re-read Janet's letter a few times and what if she's just being sarcastic and this is really in praise of the HAMB? Poorly crafted sarcasm, definitely, but sarcasm none the less.

Remember, it's nearly impossible to judge a writer's tone or intentions in an e-mail or internet post.

Go back and read it again as a compliment for the status that the HAMB has achieved in the world of hot rodding and see if you don't see it too.

I'm not defending Janet. Personally, I don't give a rat's butt what she thinks of the HAMB, I'm just sayin' :)

17. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

I like it! Kinda puts a whole new twist on things.....

18. swazzie

swazzie

It astounds me that in the ten years that Janet has been reading the Jalopy Journal that nothing was sparked, that there was no kinship established and that there wasn't anything reminiscent of the reason we all do this. Fucking Chickenshit Journalist wanabees .If janet had the Balls her father was born with, she would posted up her big fucking righteousness on the board for all to have a shot of instead of slipping off her opinion in an imaginary envelope to be hidden like a secret whimpering notion, hoping no-one will discover her dirty little secret. That she, Janet is wanting to just go fuck herself. When did men start becoming such Bitches. FAAAAK ....... PERFECT clip Ryan

19. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

My first girlfriend’s name was Janet. Lured her into the back seat of my first car. She still can’t deal with blowing an opportinity. Slim

20. aceuh

aceuh

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

This person is the one biggest reason why I quit my subscription to SRM.
    The guy is himself a phony and a pompous "know-it-all" who knows very little.
    Just the fact that "he" suggests that SRM had anything to do with the roots of rodding is just a lie.
    As I stated before, we were all rodding many, many years before SRM ever surfaced.
    Rest assured that an editorial slamming the HAMB is what he wants to write, but doesn't dare.

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

As I said I gave up all my magazines. They were no longer printed with me in mind. I'm just a number that they can sell to their advertisers.

The HAMB did not cause this phenomenon. The magazines did it to themselves. Look at the Tech threads...they are real people building real cars. They are not infomercials for an advertiser that we see in the magazines. The HAMB filled that hole of technical info that the magazines abandoned.

I can only hope that the print media is reading these replies and start to return to the type of content that they were built on. I doubt that they can change now. I probably won't notice if they do. They have left me behind looking for Daddy Warbucks that buys all the high dollar reproduction parts and assemble the clones. They are the ones that pay the bills. I understand that but I miss my monthly trips to the news stand to buy my beloved magazines.

They lost track of where they came from. I hope the HAMB never does. I don't think Ryan will ever allow that to ever happen.

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rob,

I, for one, appreciate what you and Kev and your team do. Everything is about compromise and finding common ground when dealing with people. I appreciate the tech articles the most (thanks Kev!), but I also appreciate that you guys that are actually finding the stories and writing the articles are, first and foremost, car guys.

That the HAMB is on the cutting edge of relevancy, is leading the charge into the future of hot rodding, is so obvious as to need no repeating.

That the magazine business is a brutally tough world where it is extremely difficult to balance content and the demands of Source Interlink to turn a profit, a thankless (that part is evident here) job of searching for the moving targets of what your readers want, what your would-be readers want, what your advertisers want, and what your investors want, is also obvious (to some of us).

Think it's easy running a magazine? Just ask our buddy Curt Baker about his Fuel Line Magazine.

I have read all the posts, and several things are striking to me:

1) a ton of passion for the HAMB and this fantastic world of horsepower;
    2) about 5% of responses have anything good to say about "the mags".

Your boss has thrown a hand grenade into the room full of hoodlums, and most have reacted, understandably, with indignation and contempt. The explosion, however, instead of spewing lethal shrapnel, consists of confetti. A big boom, but perfectly harmless. But it is a mess.

Like a few others here have said, I'll continue to soak up as much of this awesome world of cars as I can, and that includes keeping my subscription to R&C, Kinnan and Freiburger's equally good (for what it is) little mag, as well as a few others.

Just one more thing:
    Finding good hot rod content is like trying to find good music on the radio. There is some out there, but you have to wade through a lot of crap in order to discover the gems. And perhaps none of them will do it all for you. So you take what fits from each gem. R&C is a gem, make no mistake.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Geez fellas... I just thought it was a cool video!

In any case, thanks for the support.

To clear the air:

I'm not necessarily an "anti-magazine" guy. Some of my best pals make their livings working for these joints... I just have a problem with their business models. I disagree with allowing the advertiser to control content. I believe the reader, not the advertiser, is the customer.

I mean, this is the stuff that gave birth to the H.A.M.B. Alliance.

Of course, the names we all know at these magazines (i.e. editors, writers, etc...) don't have control over the business model of their publication. Most of these fellas that I know agree with me in principal, but they don't have the tools/power to do anything about it.

I used to scream about this when we were the smaller under dog. Now, we have much more reach than any print magazine out there and I don't seem to care as much. In fact, I probably shouldn't have posted this mess... It's just that the video was soo damned cool. I couldn't help myself.

25. Weasel

Weasel

I was hoping you would chime in again Ryan, after the overwhelming show of support for what the HAMB is, what the HAMB does for so many. A nicely thought out, balanced and rationally objective take on the subject.

The bottom line is that at heart, the HAMB is a grass roots hot rodding community in the true sense of the word.

26. TRuss

TRuss

The Jalopy Journal/HAMB has simply been hotroddings biggest source of influential media this past decade. I guess that is hard for Janet to take despite the fact that many of the photos and info that gets posted on here has come from those past publications that Janet mentioned. Janet has simply lost her way and is upset to find that it is her fault. But Janet is not the type to take responsibility for her actions so she places blame on others.

Like many others I know what I know about hotrodding because of this place. Not because of Janet.

Ryan. I reread the TRJ article about Joyo's '36 this morning. At the very end you mentioned that part 2 would be in the first issue of the Jalopy Journal that would be in print "this winter". That issue was from a year ago. Are there still plans for a print Jalopy Journal? I wonder how Janet would feel about that?

27. Merge

Merge

I too can say that I let all my magazine subscriptions run out. I just wasn't getting the hands on, "down and dirty" tech articles that I am interested in. Sure, I appreciate a high dollar car that has the look and craftsmanship these magazines offer but I am a working man and more interested in how things are accomplished since I'm the one doing the work. To me, THAT is where the roots of hot rodding are. That little fact is what draws me to the H.A.M.B and Jalopy Journal each day!
    Thanks Ryan!

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

this would be a great opportunity to get everyone here to join/renew the hamb alliance :D

i know, i'm sick like that

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. spooler41

spooler41

Great video, Ryan.I've only got one problem with the printed word.All my mag. subscriptions are only monthly,where as the H.A.M.B. is non stop daily, now that is real satifaction.
    Keep up the good work. ...........Jack

30. RichG

RichG

A print copy of the "Jalopy Journal"?

Please tell me where to send my money, thank you.