Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scavenger Pipes - Who's running them??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kisam, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Do you know what magazine and month/year? I have a pretty big stack of little books from the early 50s- mid 60s, I may have it some where.

2. alleyoop

alleyoop

glass packs and a tapperd drive line makes a deep sound used them on a lot of cars.

3. kisam

kisam

Richard, it was from the high school newspaper.

I have narrowed it down to 2" Porters or Smithys and will have a muffler shop bell some pipes. If I go stainless on the scavenger pipes can I mig weld that to regular pipe and do I have to change gas and wire?

4. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

you can but it will still rust from the inside unless you purge the inside of the pipe with inert gas while welding.

5. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

These are what I remember scraping the crowns of the streets in Santa Barbara, California in the early 60's.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  6. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

You GOT it!! Maybe ended a littl under the car at the rear axle, but that's the stance you had to have!!!

7. Kirby Neal

Kirby Neal

Hi I'm Kirby with KOOL Rides and these are the scavenger pipes on Jeff's El Camino that we are reproducing. They are 42 1/2' long with a flare on one end and a balony cut on the other. Check out the web site at www.koolrides.com

8. highboy_04

highboy_04
    from Kansas

holy shit balls 42 1/2 feet long? :)

9. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

YEP , thats right! that way we can beat ya with em if they don't sound good. you know what he meant shmartazz, but I am laughin that was good !

10. M.Edell

M.Edell

11. Love that 40 sedan. Too cool.

12. M.Edell

M.Edell

Thanks!

13. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Oh boy does that '40 sedan bring back memories. Early 60s before I went in the Navy I had a '47 tudor sedan, 283 Chevy, dual quads, hoodless (of course) and scavenger pipes under rear axle. Cruising Main Street by the drug store to "impress" the ladyfolk, one muffler and pipe fell off onto the pavement! Ah the indignity of it all, having to stop and throw hot exhaust parts into the trunk to the giggles and laughs of the young women I had hoped to impress. 7 decades and that memory is still with me whenever someone says scavenger pipes.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. M.Edell

M.Edell

Now that's funny. Great story! Thanks

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I shortened and put turn downs, got tired of cleaning exhaust haze off the bumper!

Attached Files: