Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Time Junk Yard Photos PIX 1920 to 1970

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Aug 20, 2009.

1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Ouch! Breaks my heart to see that '55 Sportsman coupe crunched
    in the rear end like that! If the cars in back are an indication, this
    looks like mainly a SCRAP yard, and everything eventually gets
    BURNED. Looks like a yard in, maybe, mid'60s? Photo originally
    appeared in LIFE magazine.

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Yowee! Lookit, all that metal with decent paint and practically no rust
    -- all piled up! Ouch again! Looks like about late-'50s or early-'60s?
    Photo originally appeared in LIFE magazine.

3. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

1957 Mercury Commuter 2-Door Hardtop Station Wagon

Attached Files:

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Jim, I can't believe somebody hasn't put that baby in a dry place and started work on it! It's got EVERYTHING going for it.

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

These three are THANKS to a site called darrylsdrivin!

[​IMG]

Forgive me! Being a hunter, I couldn't resist tossing this one in! LOL

[​IMG]

6. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Looks Like a hodgepodge of different year Model "T" parts.

Attached Files:

7. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Another yard falls victim to rural migration

November 10, 2010

[​IMG]
    While in Pennsylvania for the Hershey swap meet, Vem (left) and Zes who are both Cadillac enthusiasts from Belgium spent a rainy day gathering parts at Baughman's. While touring the yard, Old Cars Weekly also met a Norwegian father and son who are both Chevy fans. Asked how they all heard about the yard, in each case it was word-of-mouth from friends.

By Ron Kowalke

While touring the front of Baughman’s Auto Salvage outside of Dover, Pa., late in the afternoon, I heard engines revving from the road that fronts the yard. I looked through the chain-link “beauty fence” to see two school buses roll to a stop. The hinged doors of each bus popped open and several youngsters dashed out in several directions to finish their journey home.

At that point, not yet having talked to John Baughman, the owner of the yard, I knew the rumors about this yard being forced to close were probably true.

When this salvage yard began 45 years ago, the surrounding land was devoid of anything other than crops and farm pastures. Today, as you drive on the roads leading to the yard, new homes dot the countryside. Rarely (if ever) is such an influx of new residents and a neighboring salvage yard a compatible mix.

[​IMG]
    In addition to this 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Sport Coupe, there are several dozen other tri-Chevy models in the yard. Examples include every body style produced in '55 through '57 with the exception of convertibles and Nomads.

When Baughman purchased the yard that was formerly known as C&B Salvage seven years ago, he told Weekly he was aware that local officials were already “negative” concerning the business. Baughman made the effort to clean up the yard’s front section — highly visible through the chain-link fence — to appease both neighbors and the local board, but to no avail. So, select a cliche here: ‘Too little, too late;’ ‘You can’t fight city hall;’ or, ‘It’s OK as long as it’s not in my back yard.’ Any and all apply in this case. And yet again, here’s another select group of individuals who built homes near an almost half-century-old salvage yard (you can also include race tracks and landfills in this scenario), then act put out about what goes on at the facility after the fact. That’s just being numb from the neck up.

Baughman told Old Cars Weekly that local officials have given him until Dec. 31 of this year to clear out all of the vehicles from the property. “They’re trying to yuppify the whole town,” Baughman explained.

[​IMG]
    There are several interesting foreign sports cars in the yard, including this late-1950s MGA roadster that retains its original knock-off wire wheels.

The majority of the yard’s inventory that doesn’t get sold before then will get fed to the crusher. The one positive aspect of this situation is that Baughman operates another salvage yard in York, Pa., located about 10 miles from his Dover property. He told Old Cars Weekly that anything rare or desirable that doesn’t get sold in the next few weeks will most likely get moved to his York yard. It currently caters mainly to vehicles 1965 and newer. And, as I discovered during Old Cars Weekly’s visit to the Dover yard, there are rare and desirable vehicles there. Many of them, in fact.

No brotherly love

“I didn’t put a car in there,” Baughman told Old Cars Weekly concerning the approximately 1,000 vehicles that he said currently populate the yard. All the vehicles that comprise the inventory were moved in decades ago when brothers Carl and Bob (hence, the previous C&B Salvage moniker) operated the business. But how much actual business occurred under their partnership is a matter of debate.

“Carl was the rightful owner,” Baughman explained, adding that Bill was brought on board to help run the yard, because Carl held another job that prevented him from devoting full attention to his salvage operation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This pair of Studebakers are potential restoration candidates. (Top) A 1952 Commander State Starliner hardtop is 1 of 14,548 produced and is complete. (Above) This early-'60s Hawk has been stripped of minor trim parts and its hood hinges are bent, but it's otherwise solid. Only 7,279 were built in 1960 and '61.

According to Baughman, the brothers did not agree on how to run the business. Cars and trucks would be added to inventory, but not much was sold over the years. Since Baughman took over the operation, he said he’s crushed the majority of the modern iron that was staged near the yard’s entrance. He said what remains is approximately 900 domestic cars and trucks ranging from the mid 1930s to mid ’70s and around 100 foreign and buses, mainly from the 1950s and ’60s. The yard’s bus fleet is a group of former city units that Baughman said he recalls seeing in his youth.

Hey, isn’t that a....

Among the more rare vehicles noted during Old Cars Weekly’s tour of the yard are a 1955 Hudson Hornet Hollywood hardtop (with a rusted continental kit), ’55 Cadillac 62 convertible (extremely rusty, but only 8,150 produced), ’56 Hudson Hornet Custom sedan (missing its continental kit, but only 3,022 built), ’56 Chevy Bel Air sedan with factory air conditioning, ’57 500 Skyliner hardtop (too damaged in a crash to restore, but many of the retractable top components are still present), ’58 Edsel Roundup two-door station wagon (rusty, but only 924 produced), ’58 Ford Courier sedan delivery (3,352 built) and Chevy delivery models from both 1954 and ’59. Also unique are a late-1950s MGA roadster (with knock-off wire wheels), several late-1950s/early-’60s Imperials (all four-door hardtops), a Divco dairy delivery , ’58 Plymouth Belvedere hardtop (rusty and white, so definitely not “Christine”), a right-hand-drive late-’50s Jaguar 3.4 sedan (, several ’61 Chevy and Pontiac “bubbletop” hardtop models (with rear glass intact) and an early-’50s Chrysler hardtop that was customized with grille and overall trim parts from both Cadillac and Pontiac from what the Old Cars Weekly staff could determine. While this custom Chrysler at some point donated its drivetrain, the workmanship evident on what remains of the car was so well done that it may have spent time on a professional show circuit before being abandoned in the yard.
    [​IMG]
    In addition to rare vehicles, Baughman's Auto Salvage also has a few "goodies" stashed around the property. This pair of Chevy 348-cid V-8s are for sale, and the one at right includes an original tri-power setup that's kept locked up to prevent its smudging by "sticky fingers." There also remains one vintage 354-cid Hemi V-8 in the yard. All other early Hemis once in the yard have been sold.

Lifelong car enthusiast

Baughman is no stranger to rare cars. “I used to visit my cousin when I was 12 years old,” he recalled. “His neighbor had a 1963 Plymouth with the Wedge engine, and I got a ride in it. I’ve been a Chrysler guy ever since.”

He said his personal collection of cars revolves around Chrysler Corp. high-performance models, but admitted his favorite mode of transport is not a street car at all, but rather his Super Stock Hemi Dodge Dart drag car. “It has 985 horsepower,” Baughman stressed with pride.

As for having to shut down the Dover yard by the end of the year, Baughman takes a matter-of-fact approach. “I’d rather see [these] parts on other peoples’ cars than [have them] go to the crusher.”

[​IMG]
    Among the fleet of buses that are part of the inventory of Baughman's Auto Salvage is this brightly painted unit that formerly transported members of Junior Achievement. It appears to have suffered collision damage, and its wheels have been removed. Due to its weight, it will most likely get crushed.

One of the cars Baughman might be grateful to see gone from the yard is a 1957 Chevy that he knows up-close and personal. He recalled, “In 2008, I was walking through the yard and caught my foot on a vine. I went face first into the bumper of a Bel Air and broke several teeth and my shoulder.”

Because time is running short before the deadline to have the property cleared of vehicles, Baughman told Old Cars Weekly that he’s relaxed his rules a bit concerning customers in the yard. “I’ll allow customers to bring in [their] toolboxes and remove parts. I didn’t do that before.” Baughman emphasized though, that he still will not allow customers to raise or crawl under any vehicle to retrieve parts.

He also said it’s important that people wanting to visit the yard must call ahead of time to ensure someone will be at the property to let them in. He added that if proper financial arrangements can be made, he’s also willing to store vehicles currently in the Dover yard at his York location, if customers cannot arrange transport prior to Dec. 31.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Discovered among the almost 1,000 vehicles that comprise the inventory of Baughman's Auto Salvage in Dover, Pa., were this (top) 1958 Edsel Roundup six-passenger station wagon, 1 of only 924 produced, and (above) the body shell, and chassis of a late-'30s LaSalle convertible coupe.

The other potential obstacle to vehicle and parts retrieval between now and the end of the year is the weather. Baughman said the winter of 2009-’10 had two storms within the span of one week that buried the yard in two feet of snow.

Baughman said that while he does not have a computerized list of inventory in the yard, he can recall what cars and trucks exist. He also admitted there are many parts in the yard and stored in outbuildings on the property for which he remains clueless. “I have lots of 1940s parts, and I have no idea what they are.” He also told Old Cars Weekly that he has a building full of vintage transmissions and would appreciate it if someone could identify them.

The yard is located on Copenhaffer Road several miles southeast of downtown Dover. It’s best to get directions directly from Baughman when calling to make an appointment to visit the yard.

To contact the yard, call 717-846-3944 (or, the York yard at 877-200-4056). Hours of operation for the Dover yard are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. There are no Saturday hours.

8. Austin7nut

Austin7nut
    from Sussex UK.

Not many Junk yards left around Sussex but here are a couple of roadside wrecks not far from me

Attached Files:

9. olskool37

olskool37

I was just up at this yard 2 Saturdays ago, they had it open for a couple of guys in a car club... that didnt show, and I was lucky enough to catch them open.

Theres a link to a album of about 70-80 photos I took, while I was wondering around.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055841&id=1589492585&l=abd4aa04cf

you may have to cut and paste that into your browser...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Jason, THANKS for sharing the pix from your trip to the doomed
    ol' boneyard! (You did say they're probably closing it permanently
    in the next few weeks?) Yet ANOTHER one bites the dust. I wonder
    what will happen to the cars after they close.

Shame, people won't be able to roam this yard anymore, getting
    their eyes full and soaking up the atmosphere only an old-time
    junkyard can offer! I was in a Pick&Pull two days ago scrounging
    a hood and grille to fix my daughter's wrecked Merc Tracer.
    They are pretty well run, but the "feel" just isn't the same as
    the old-timey junkyards! No way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

An EARLY ouchie!!!

[​IMG]

12. Kool66

Kool66
    from Dearborn

Interesting the Jalopy in the background with what appears to be lyrics and musical notes painted on.

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Once again, one of those instant-classic photographs,
    proving that a humble junked car CAN be artistically
    appealing, especially when Mother Nature adds her
    special seasonal touch! This was taken at Old Car City,
    White, in northern Georgia, one of the nation's oldest
    boneyards, dating back to 1931 in the same family!

This pic is especially "cool" for me, this being my 5,000th
    HAMB post since joining in January 2009. I really want
    to THANK everybody who's participated in this fun -- if
    poignant -- thread. And I especially thank Ryan and those
    who have helped him make the HAMB/Jalopy Journal such
    an entertaining, informative, thought-provoking AND well-
    run forum! You've made the world safe for traditional
    hotrod hooligans and old-car nuts in general! LOL

14. Here is an old time junk yard but in 1:87 scale. All Dueces too!

[​IMG]

15. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

I always thought these Studes had a very "Caddy" look to em

16. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

NOOOO DAMMIT AN XA COUPE!! :(:(:(*cries*

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Another one of those artfully done photos. This one's available
    as a framable art print from a UK studio that sells on eBay,
    "theprintlegend." I don't know them personally, so I'm not
    doing a "commercial" for them. But in case a HAMBer falls
    in love with the shot (reasonable price for an art print), just
    search ABANDONED OLD RUSTY CUBAN CAR ART CANVAS.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=825 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD height=520 vAlign=bottom align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD height=51 vAlign=bottom align=middle>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

She's been out in the weather many a long year, eh? This was actually
    taken this year along U.S. Rt. 66 near Cool Springs, Arizona, according
    to the fine-art photographer/seller on eBay. Not a commercial here,
    but if you'd like a framable print (downright cheap, as a matter
    of fact), just search the seller or item & it should come up. To wit:
    langercp3xal, "Abandoned Car on Route 66 picture near Cool Arizona."

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=vs_w-a><CENTER>[​IMG]</CENTER>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

A couple of real old-time junkyard pix I also found on eBay (hey,
    you can find vintage pix in a LOT of different places!). These are
    both from the World War II scrap drives, which we've visited before
    on this thread. Again, not a commercial, but the seller has them
    on eBay, I think in one of those so-called stores, so it may be avail-
    able quite some time. If you must have them, dial him up on eBay:
    Florida seller called "theperfectpicture." The listing was, Photo
    Auto Junk Yard Scrap for Victory c1943.

[​IMG]

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

These are from one of the oldest, longest-surviving AND still family-owned junkyards in the U.S. -- OLD CAR CITY, near White, GA. Given that it's in northern Georgia, I think I could go pitch a tent there and just STAY for a year! LOL

[​IMG]

Supposedly a '48 Packard Super Clipper, but it looks like a '47
    to me under all that foliage! Old Car City USA, White, Georgia.

[​IMG]

You don't see many Chevy long-roofs for '59! Old Car City USA, White, Georgia.

[​IMG]

Holy crap! When was the last time you saw a '57 Pontiac Star Chief hearse???
    Ya just have to love that roofline, eh? Seems kind of lonely and fitting that
    the hearse sits there, all alone. Old Car City USA, White, Georgia.

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

'54 Buick Skylark, Old Car City USA, White, Georgia.

[​IMG]

'51 Frazer Vagabond, flanked by what appears to be a Ranchero
    and a Plymouth Plaza, Old Car City USA, White, Georgia.

[​IMG]

'54 Hudson Super Wasp, Old Car City USA, White, Georgia.

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Here's a refugee from the salvage yard. Hopefully somebody will put this unique '50 Pinin Farina Nash back into regular service. Though it was not put into regular production, original owners logged 64,000 miles before the car was retired. It's a four-door with a six-banger. If interested, the current owner can be queried for details at [email protected]>[email protected].

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

'51 Nash Ambassador, owned by Roger Warnock. This car
    is reportedly on the come-back trail not the rust bin!
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3 align=middle><TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>
    [​IMG]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

<TABLE border=1 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

'48 Nash four-door owned by Doug Card still has tons of potential. Nice pic, too!

25. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

272 Y block Ford, I love those things!

26. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I think you must have gotten lost on your trip as Edmonton is in Alberta not Manitoba LOL but I instantly recognized these photos as Aldons Auto Salvage in Lamont Alberta, my dad got our bus there in 1984

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here it is now!

[​IMG]

It's not the only place like this in Alberta, but it's a decent one for selection, Alberta is a very car oriented place so we try hard to keep our yards like this operating.

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yo, LN7 Nut, we're all eyes here! Send pix, if you can, of some more Alberta yards, bro. THANKS for your post!!!

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Plymouth Savoy, straight from 1959, the year that epitomized
    the Chrome-and-Fins Era. Old Car City USA, White, Georgia.

[​IMG]

Pretty keen shot of a '56 Rocket 88. Don't we all love pine needles? Yike. Old Car City USA, White, Georgia.

[​IMG]

'59 Ranchero. A little rough around the edges, eh? Old Car City USA, White, Georgia.

[​IMG]

A scarce one from a short series. '60 Lincoln Premiere four-door hardtop!
    What were the designers thinking with these headlamps? I love it anyway,
    EVEN PINK! LOL Old Car City USA, White, Georgia.

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

By now, everybody knows this thread is about EARLY pix
    of very old junkyards, plus that it quickly morphed into photos
    of OLD cars in a few bone yards that survive today. Old Car
    City near White, GA, has to be among the best-preserved
    yards, dating back to the early '30s in the same family.

I recently ran onto the work of a pro photog, Andy Milford,
    of Rinebeck, NY, who apparently traveled to Georgia and did
    a THOROUGH shoot of some prime oldies! Below are just SIX
    of many he has at his site. He's a great guy to talk with, and
    I'd encourage anybody to go and view more of his work. AND,
    if you fall in love with a few shots, I am certain he'd be happy
    to print and sell you framable prints for your wall! Not a com-
    mercial here, just trying to link car lovers with a very keen-eyed
    photographer of a subject we love! (As you can see, Andy's
    photo style is superior to the snapshot style in the previous
    post!) CONTACT DETAILS follow the photos. Thanks.

[​IMG]

Photo by Andy Milford Photography, Rhinebeck, NY

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OLD CAR CITY
    (aka Lewis World of Parts)
    Established 1931

Greg Lackore, Mgr.
    3098 U.S. Route 411 Northeast
    White, Georgia 30184

(770)382-6141

Photography by Andy Milford

Andy Milford,
    Rinebeck, New York

To see more of Andy's work, or for
    information about framable prints,
    Andy's web page: http://andymilford.com

30. Cadillacjerk

Cadillacjerk

The wife and I went on a little trip to northern Saskatchewan this past summer to visit her aunt. I went up the road a ways to attend an auction...
    With the exception of the stuff behind the fence (different locale) my understanding is all of the remaining stuff was crushed this past fall. Most of the cars that were sold went cheap, $100 or less on average. I got there on day 2 of a 3 day event and a lot of stuff had been picked up including an ancient Whizzer scooter that was running complete with the owners manual, this was the most expensive piece of the sale ($5000.00....sorry no pics)!

This the second auction in as many years I've attended where everything had to be sold cuz the crusher was coming. I will post some pics of the other ASAP...

Attached Files: