Register now to get rid of these ads!

flatty carbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kenbob26, Nov 4, 2010.

1. kenbob26

kenbob26

what carbs should i run on my 50 flathead

2. kenbob26

kenbob26

ok maybe i should say who has a good set of carbs?

3. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

So are you doing a dual set up?

Holley 94's work as well.

4. kenbob26

kenbob26

yes I have a couple of 94s on a offy intake but they dont match . mabe i should get some parts carbs or buy a new set of demons?

5. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right here, right now... Two showstoppers. PM me.

6. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

97's ....Uncle Max

94's.....Dickster

Done.

7. There is a lot of good help here...

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Either way,you're gonna have to do something about that sorry ass "loadamatic" distributor when you go to dual carbs. The spark advance was awful when new and will be first class fucked up with the dual carbs.
    There's a guy on HAMB, "GMC Bubba" who can build you a distributor that will get the job done.
    Dave

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'd go 94's, probably a matched set of ones that say 8ba on the side, that was what was on it stock, so why not stay with it???

10. kenbob26

kenbob26

msd is what i have installed . I have a couple real nice stock distribitors.

11. big bad john

big bad john

..........Can't go wrong with the 97's.........

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well, if you have a distributor from MSD you've got just about the best that can be bought for your application. Good move! The advance system on the OEMs was miserable stock, and adding another carb throws the vacuum signal so far off it won't advance properly.

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I think the Demons, although attractive in many ways, are just too big (by the pair) for a low-displacement low-flow flattie.

14. carbking

carbking

While I like Stromberg EE-1 carbs (of which the "97" is one); Carters are a more up-to-date design, and much more infinately tuneable. Both the WD-0 (older) and WCD (newer) were produced in the 3 mounting bolt design.

The extra tuneability can, depending on one's ability and access to parts:

(A) be a major headache

OR

(B) produce better power, economy, and driveability throughout the entire RPM range.

Like the Holley 94's, the Carters are somewhat larger physically than the Strombergs, and may not clear on all intake manifolds.

Jon.

15. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Can't beat a pair of Stromberg 81s on a Flathead, small CFMs for small CIs...
    Duane.

16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Would a Mallory electronic distributor with mechanical advance work in place of the stock 8BA Load-A-Matic?

17. 27willys

27willys
    from indiana

holley or stromberg I dont think you will go wrong. just make sure on either one you regulate the fuel pressure.

18. kenbob26

kenbob26

my f100 runs 3 2100 series holleys (94s) four bolt base. I just need a good set up for the flatty strombergs would be cool . like i said a good set of carbs is what i need. lots of good help here thanks.

Attached Files:

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Should work great, assuming it is in good shape. I have read that Mallory's quality control isn't what it once was, but what is, these days?
    Dave

20. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

What are you trying to accomplish? There is a four barrel manifold for the flatty that really works well. Then put a Carter WCFB on it and get good performance all the way around without the head aches of dual carbs:cool:

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Thanks for the reply. I bought the Mallory about 10 years ago so maybe it's one of the good ones.

22. kenbob26

kenbob26

I just got my car back and it is still intact. carbs are still there. I am still thinking about 97s although they are a bit pricey . here is a pic of the engine in my 50 ford as of today.

Attached Files:

23. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean

I have ran the Mallory Electronic distributor with 3 Stromberg 97's for the past ten years on my 49 coupe without any major issues. This is a good combination.