Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scored a few Hemis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LSGUN, Nov 9, 2010.

1. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If those babys were run on naturals gas (as is sometimes the case with remote powerplants) you will probably find they are very clean on the inside and subject to minimum wear. Just hope they didn't have the carbs removed and left out in the elements.

Frank

2. hasty

hasty

Nice find. Hope they turn out well.

3. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Discusting........
    Oh, did I say Awesome Find too !!!!
    Good for you.

4. now, thats sad to me !! haha

5. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

--------------
    ---------------------------
    Better still....a 'Tommy Ivo' 4-engined
    hemi
    *VW* dragster!!!!:eek::eek::D

Mart3406
    ========================

6. pcterm2

pcterm2

you wouldn't happen to want sell one of those?

7. 73super

73super

Ha! Sitting there going down the HAMB and looking at Titles and come across, "Scored a few Hemi's"... sure enough. Tell me,, how in the sam hell does that even happen?!

Tears man.. tears.

8. Great find
    I was lucky to find a cheap 54 Imperial with a running 331 4-barrel here in Holland

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

10. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I've been reading through that stuff for almost two years now, priceless info!

One of the 331s ran a single barrel, from what I understand the natural gas engines ran single barrels, so they might have been. The other three are two barrels.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I could use a good priced set of adjustable rockers, if you part any of the motors out

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I heard he's gonna build a 4 hemi vw, could be wrong... :D

13. 067chevy

067chevy

I don't thing any of those motors have the adjustable rockers by the pictures

14. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

Is that up around Amarillo? We ran 56A's on our wells until we needed more power. If they were run on natural gas they should be good candidates for a rebuild -- it was cheaper to replace than rebuild back then so they may not have been bored. We would replace heads until it couldn't hold compression, then replace it.

Told my little brother to collect all he could back in the '70's when they were still sitting around lots of places, but you know how little brothers take suggestions!:rolleyes:
    As to getting ready for the road they already have hardened valve seats (no lead in natural gas) so shouldn't take much you wouldn't already do.

Amd do you know how many keyboards are now covered with drool???:D:cool:

15. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

All four have the raised bumps on the covers for adjustable rockers, might be hard to see in the pics I posted. I haven't pulled them yet to check, from what I've heard nobody has seen any industrials that actually had adjustable rockers.

16. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Neat story! I guess that explains a lot of passenger car stuff that is found on some industrials like triple nickel heads. Yea I pulled them from up in the panhandle, I should of asked him about there history but I didn't see much of him, he was busy stripping cotton!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  17. jj mack

jj mack

A have 2 56s an a 56A. But I think you will find they are interesting puzzles to figure out. The farmers would mix and match parts to keep them running. Mine had 354 heads on a 331, all the blocks were actually auto blocks not industrial, etc.They probably do not have adjustable rockers.

Great score!

18. jj mack

jj mack

They are probably full of water...mine were...but they clean up just fine!

19. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I have one that is identical to those. Same cover (and no no adjustable rockers underneath), same clutch/bellhousing thing. Mine still has the 1bbl LP throttle body on it.