Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where is a good place to move in So Cal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Camm, Nov 11, 2010.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Julian could be nice, or Alpine, just east of San Diego.

2. I bought my caddy from a guy near San Diego. I forget the name of the city, but its just east of San Diego up in the hills. It was a beautiful place. Most of the homes had 1-5 acre lots and didn't look like the place was WAY over priced. Was kind of a horse, rural community. I'd love to live out there.

3. plan9

plan9

the guy is retired... i have been up your way, many times... forgot about weekend traffic on 101, its shit. perhaps my perception of bad traffic has expanded over the last several years. my commute times are always 1hr or more.

4. yea i would say san diego inland area. i'm in southern oc and it's a great area but traffic sucks, land is $$$$ and depending which area you live in either the city or people around you might not like old cars. i'm currently looking for an older house (garage in back) in either tustin or costa mesa anything with an acre or more is around $1M.....you'll find the odd one for around $600K but the house is trashed. i'm looking at williams AZ when i retire, you might look into kingman.

5. Camm

Camm

Too cold in the winter.

6. Alpine "East San Diego County"
    Lots of car folks.

7. heavyhitter 57

heavyhitter 57

love lake los angeles is cheap houses lots of desert and hot rods everywhere only 30 minutes from palmdale lancaster or victorville

8. Noname38

Noname38

You could possibly find what you're looking for in the Inland Empire. I'm a licensed and active realtor/real estate agent. If you would like send me a message with your criteria and I'll try to point you in the right direction even if it's not an area I work.

9. 65Riviera

65Riviera

Have you been to SoCal? Light traffic, NO SMOG, little crime, 1+ acres ??? Why not add a barn full of cheap deuce coupes to the wish list....

I just moved from there after 15 years because of the rediculous traffic everywhere, brown skys, my car was stolen from my driveway (in the middle of the day), and couldn't find anything over 1/4 acre for less than 1 mil....

you can't be serious, but if you are, good luck:D

10. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

what about flagstaff. i see to recall even summer temps werent that bad and the winters were relatively mild compared to where i am from in illinois. lots of open space, clean air and little to no traffic. plus, if arizona's housing is as bad as they say, you should be in like flynn. i recall from my days of driving otr that they were advertising 40 acre "ranches". basically an open chunk of desert, but its still 40 acres.

11. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Palm Springs to Indio area. Needles, love the river Monday to Thurs, work on hot rods Friday to Sun.

12. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Went there today with the wife today.Bought some apples and cider.I like it there.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

im in riverside its not too bad im in an older rural neigborhood, the house next to me is forsale and another few up the street, were all about an acre.. if you plan to put up a garage make sure you check your zoning and stay in the county not city.. im zoned AG for agriculture, made my life easier when i put a 3000sqf garage on my property, 2 streets over is city boundry and the max i think is 1200sqf on an acre...

14. Yeah, that's a tall order. To get away from the smog in the LA Basin you could go to the San Bernardino Mountains area, but you get cold again. Ventura County has a lot less crime, smog, and traffic, but a big lot probably won't be cheap enough. The High Desert might be the place, but then again it gets cold and snows there sometimes, too.

There's a housing swap section on Craigslist. You could put an ad up, and peruse the ads.

15. TERPU

TERPU

Anywhere in SLO County. Close enough to SOCA without all the aformentioned problems. It's less than 3 hours from many places there.

Good Luck,

Tim

16. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Im sorry to say but what your asking for in So. Cal is going to be tough. Arizona seems like a better choice for you. Besides its mostly a dry heat, you get more for your money, less traffic for the most part, and they passed a law that im not going to mention that California has been needing to do for years now! Good luck!

17. big creep

big creep

oh no the political comment! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! thats the beginning of the end for this thread!

18. dt50chev

dt50chev

19. Kingman Az or anywhere in Mohave County Az, no smog inspections, cheap insurance, cheap registrations, driver licence is good til your 65th b-day, real estate is reasonable, lots of hot rodders and Havasu is working on getting a Drag Strip. Zero traffic, almost no crime.....and property tax is low.....

20. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

21. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Are you serious :confused:

22. big creep

big creep

well usually when one make a comment about anything political like this or that it takes a nose dive and the thread gets closed. everyone know what you are talking about even though you didnt mention it. then someone else will chime in about how they feel and then blah blah blah back and forth till it gets closed.
    i hope this doesnt happen, but ive seen it happen here. im just saying you know.

23. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Well I know what you mean, but at the same time if im moving to a different area or state, I would like to know all the laws so I know what im getting my self into. Its hard not to get into politics especially when talking about California, but I hope this thread doesnt turn into drama either.

24. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I moved back to san diego about 3 years ago,
    and damn its expensive to live here compared to ventura.
    There are some loopholes that are kinda interesting though.

If you live in Julian, about an hour or so away,
    than smog checking post '75 cars is unnecessary.
    I'm not sure if its an unincorporated area of SD county or what.
    A couple jefes we work for own land out there almost solely to register their cars and trucks too.

Its just an interesting point,
    as other outskirts areas of major cities could have similar benefits,
    so that might be a plus in your search.

TP

25. big creep

big creep

really? wow i never they could do that here? huh? some of us should pitch money together and get a small plot, then is good bye smog checks! but i sure they would get hip to that quick.

26. LaidoutRivi63

LaidoutRivi63

Thats how it is in arizona. If your area isnt densely populated or incorporated, no emissions tests needed!

27. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Best small town in So Cal that isn't a shit hole in the desert: Fallbrook. Just inland from Oceanside. Right in between LA and San Diego. Big group of rodders including Don Montgomery and Dode Martin!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  28. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

There is some kind of residency requirement,
    not sure if its 3 months out of the year or if you just need your drivers license at the same address.
    Still an interesting loophole so close to the city.
    TP

29. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Sounds like a good place , you might check out the area around Vista also . not far from the beach ( cool breezes) San Diego (major airport) and still not a bad drive to the LA area for what ever car stuff that's going on there . Good luck