Register now to get rid of these ads!

trans for a Crosley

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by butch27, Nov 9, 2010.

1. butch27

butch27

Anyone know of a small 4 spd trans that will fit an old Cosley engine. For a track roadster.

2. Zerk

Zerk

Back when they built Crosley powered specials, Fiat boxes were used a fair amount. I bet they took some machine work, though. So will almost anything.

If I needed a starting point, I guess '60-'75 Volvo would be my first try. Compact, nice ratios for smaller engines, slick shifting without external linkage on the earlier ones, and a remote linkage setup on the later ones to put the stick farther rearward if needed. Good smooth clutch, too, using hydraulic(early) or cable(later). More than strong enough for a hot Crosley.

3. F&J

F&J

The original Crosley trans was very tiny with small diameter gears. I am just wondering if a more complex trans will cause too much parasitic loss on power/torque?

40+ cubic inches with 20 something HP?

I would be looking for older european micro-mini cars; maybe they had something that would use less power. Lots of small cars made in England, besides what was already said about fiat. I just don't know if any had 4 speeds.

4. Didn't those come with small block Chevys???

5. butch27

butch27

No Man -they had the Cobra engine ( copper brazed) LOL

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Too bad you couldn't adapt a Harley trans. Lippy

7. Zerk

Zerk

You might have something there, lippy. The Crosley trans is tiny, with little straight-cut gears, no synchros. If there was a way to adapt a bike trans, then maybe chaindrive the rearend, that could work.

8. Babyearl

Babyearl

I have a falcon 4 speed that is small I think it is called Dagenham. Also have 67 Volvo 4 speed, and an original crosley 3 speed. All could be had on the cheap.
    Earl

9. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Maybe a 4 spd out of a early Morris or Sprite?

10. retromotors

retromotors

Since we're just batting ideas around, and a couple folks mentioned motorcycle trannys ....
    How about a BMW bike transmission?
    A 4 or 5 speed from a '70 or later BMW twin is lightweight, readily available, very strong and best of all it's an inline transmission, like a car's.

However, the biggest hassle with any MC trans is gonna be lack of a reverse gear!

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Suzuki Samurai, very light weight, tiny little transmissions and the 4x4/rock crawler guys swap them out all day long.

12. Wooly

Wooly

I have used BMC A series trans behind the crosley motors. (Sprite, MG Midget, Morris) use the later rib case box. You can take the adapter plate from the back of the BMC motor, it is a separate stamped steel piece, (there is also a thick steel one but don't use it)There is one bolt hole that lines up and you can see were to drill the others, you also have to weld up a couple of holes as they end up hitting half holes
    on the crosley.
    The input shaft fits with the crosley input bearing.
    You need to make up a flywheel and use the BMC Starter, it bolts to the adapter plate.
    I have also used the Datsun 5 spd box out of a B210

Dodge

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Funny, just got an E-mail from a guy wanting to sell this Crosley and what appears to be a mounted bell with a trans in the background unattachtched ...................

Attached Files:

14. jpm49c

jpm49c

That looks like a AEROJET a later version of the Crosley motor used as an inboard boat motor. Can't see it very good but it should say AEROJET where Crosley would be.

15. Wooly

Wooly

Thats actually an early fageol 44, 30hp motor. Inboard marine

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It says Fogeol 44 Marine Engine...............................