Register now to get rid of these ads!

old abandoned cars...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lotus, Nov 11, 2010.

1. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

A guy in the next cube over at work was just talking how there are tons of old abandoned cars/trucks next to a creek, in the hills, sticking out of the hills around where he lives. My head popped up and now I am working out a visit to take pics and see what is salvagable. He says there are a lot of 40's/50's/old hearse, cars that he has no clue what they are, coupes, trucks, tractors, etc.

He works this weekend but hopefully the following weekend I will get up there to take some pics.

2. Good luck on scoring something there. If you go there make sure to take pics to share with everyone here.

3. selohssa

selohssa

Sounds promising.

4. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I will take pics of every thing. I am more interested in documenting everything at this point.

5. lawman

lawman

Sounds great. Can"t wait to see the pics.Tom (Tired Old Man)

6. 73super

73super

Oh, oh.. find me a K-Car!!!! Ha.. actually I hope they're all salvagable and cheap! Good luck!

7. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

He says some of the old tractors are so old they have metal wheels with spikes. All the current owners/people in the area say they have been there forever and are just abandoned and no clue who's they are and the coupe up in the hills is just sitting in a gulley. He says that is the one that he thinks I will want to bring back home. He says some are between a creek and row of tree's and would take some work to get out.

Time is going to go slow from now till I get to go up and take a look at this stuff.

8. Stukka

Stukka
    from SoCal

Look up the location in Google Earth. The resolution might be good enough to identify what's there.

9. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I already tried....terrible resolution. about ten miles any direction is great resolution. :(

10. Slonaker

Slonaker

Bing.com maps are sometimes better, especially the Bird's Eye view. It is worth a try.

Slonaker

11. Hemi8me

Hemi8me

I can't wait to see the pics.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

12. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

Every time I get a tip like this it ends up falling short or its all junk. Never, ever, ever.....has this stopped me though!:D good luck amigo, and you can't build up and not deliver, take pictures!

13. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Good luck,hope there not too far gone from saving, and that they dont ask too much $$ for them either. :)

14. big bad john

big bad john

............I have a friend whose grandfather(96 years old) had a farm in northern Wisconsin.....He said there was 2 Model A. coupes back in the woods....parked there in 1946 or 47......well we check it out one weekend last year....we found them alright...only thing I think every deer hunter in Wisconsin shot a couple of rounds into them over the years.....there was'nt much left......Sure hope you have better luck than we did,,,

15. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

Good luck! there is always some magic in treasure hunting...most of the time disappointing... but jewels have to be found somehow!

16. Southfork

Southfork

I wonder why it is that everybody out in the woods/boonies with a gun feels obligated to ventilate vintage tin. I pick up a few new bullet holes every year in some '30s vehicles I have parked out in the woods. Yeah, bringing them closer to the house would be better, but then the wife would complain that the yard looks like it's owned by hillbillies.

17. big creep

big creep

hey lotus keep us posted you are not to far from me! i would love to go!

18. There's a creek near Taft?:eek:

19. 29AV8

29AV8

You dont think this guy could be full of shit?

20. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

That kinda shit is out there man I found a gulley full of old tin in the middle of town here.

21. Toner283

Toner283

subscribed for the pictures.

22. happy hunting....

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

24. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

really !
    good luck , cause if it sounds to good to be true ....its usually is'nt.

25. can't wait fer pics!

26. Hope you scored!!!!

27. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

There is a filled-in gully in the middle of campus at Grand Valley State University, in Allendale, MI that used to be a dump, and it's got bits of '50s vehicles in the top. Who knows what might be underneath?

-Dave

28. SlamIam

SlamIam

Hunting tin is so much fun. Any tip is worth checking out. Coworkers give me tips on stuff because they know I'm always looking for Model-A parts. The last tip on "Model A stuff" I got turned out to be a 30 Chevrolet roadster and a 32 Ford BB. Just heard about a "barn full of old cars" but haven't had a day to check that out.

A few years ago I was having no success buying a clean pair of 51 commercial YOM plates for my F1. One day I went to help a friend clean out a shed, and what do you think was hanging on the wall there but a nice pair of 51 commercials with a number ending in 00! He said they came off his father's old paint truck, and was happy to let me have them. I think about that day everytime I look at my truck.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  29. 76cam

76cam

Good luck. I too want to see the pic's..

30. oldpaint

oldpaint

I grew up in a small town with a dump about a mile out of town. The dump was at the top of a hill and when it filled up they just pushed everything over the hill. I remember seeing a coupe body halfway down the hill. That was about 50 years ago.