Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi to Cad/Lasalle adapter manufacturer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50skalpedponcho, Aug 25, 2009.

1. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

I purchased this adapter off of ebay last week. The seller didn't know the manufacturer or who had cast the piece. It has one casting number on it NC-37. NC-37K is written in marker on the area below where the adapter meets up to the trans. Wondering if anyone out there has seen an adapter like this or similar to this. I'm curious to know, as it might help in figuring out flywheel, starter plate, clutch disc, fork, etc. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. swifty

swifty

It is a Trans-Dapt. The NC refers to Chrysler Products 54 and up, all V8's with ignition in rear. Plymouth 318, 1959 thru 1961

The 37K refers to the transmission and suits Cad-La Salle 37 - 53 According to my Weiand catalog the 'K' series adapters include an integral steel plate for use as an engine/transmission support. Some models fit standard installations while others are to simplify your conversion.

In the engine notes section it says "NC-CHRYSLER PRODUCTS adapters mount on a 55-56 Chrysler Products motor plate which is 1 1/8" thick. The Mopar number is 1613713, motor plates that are thinner will not work.

There are no pics in my catalog of your adapter and all the pics are of Chevvie adapters only.
    That's all the relevant info which I have as it is only a 2 page add in the catalog. BTW they were $90.72 in 1965

swifty

51 mercules likes this.
  3. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Hey Swifty thanks alot for your help.

4. titus

titus

glad you got it, i saw your trans the other day.

JEFF

5. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Titus - Thanks again for the heads up, when did you get down to see Eric?

6. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Does anyone out there own a trans-dapt catalog from way back? I'm curious to know if they tell you what flywheel, clutch fork, clutch disc, and throwout bearing to use with this trans adapter.

7. i have the same bell housing(NOS) in my garage attic. It still has the pilot bushing that came with it, wire tied to the bell. im fairly certian ttis bell uses the stock chrysler flywheel and starter. Im realy not sure about the clutch set up though. If you want I can measure the pilot bushing I have.

8. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

slayer - funny when I received my bellhousing it to had the pilot bushings wired to the housing. I'm using a 270 poly block with Dodge Red Ram hemi heads. The stock starter plate wasn't thick enough and the holes didn't line up. I bought a 392 starter plate and it fit up nicely. There's gotta be someone out there with a manual.

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

looks like it takes the Lasalle collar,
    which probably means you need to use the Lasalle throwout bearing and fork as well.

10. 73RR

73RR

Small problem here...the 55-56 plate is 3/4" thick, the 57-58 plate is 1-1/8". So, which did TransDapt want you to use ? Add to the confusion with yet a third plate at about ½"...
    Each plate requires its own starter and flywheel due to the diameter and tooth count. 55-56 = 146 tooth; 57-58 = 172 tooth. Also consider that 55-56 = 6 volt and 57-58 = 12 volt. As an added bonus, the physical location of the starter changed ever-so-slightly between the two plates.

If you need a pilot bearing, one can be installed inside the flywheel. This pic shows a large bushing pressed into the wheel and the bearing pressed into the bushing.
    [​IMG]

As for the pressure plate, it needs to fit on to the flywheel and match the diameter of (can be larger than) the clutch disc. The disc, of course, needs to match the trans splines. The t/o bearing i.d. needs to match the front bearing retainer on the trans, and be compatible with the style of pressure plate (Long, Borg&Beck, diaphram)

11. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

it fits 54-58 motors

and has #7 Must use Chrysler Motor Plate # 1613713. This plate is 1 -1/8" thick,other thickness plates will NOT work.

Says nothing about Flywheel or related parts in the book

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

for a possible comb:
    I would look into running a stock Hemi stick flywheel, IH Scout disc, Ford truck clutch (Long style) and the Cad-Lasalle collar, throwout bearing and fork

13. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

So, I got a hold of a tech at Trans-Dapt and he said that their history books say to use a Chevy pivot ball(part#3726574), Olds throwout lever(part#561321), and Olds throwout bearing(part#1438784). Called Napa and have done some research and none of the numbers cross reference to anything current. Does anyone out there know years on these numbers? Availability, etc.? Thanks for your help.

14. 73RR

73RR

Sadly, those part numbers were good in 1965, but you might have a tough time today.
    You might consider a hydraulic t/o bearing. ....of course finding one that fits the bearing retainer could also be an issue if the sleeve is real fat...

15. titus

titus

call a gm dealer, they might be able to get the ball but not sure on the other stuff.

you might be able to run the olds part number thru the gm and they may be able to tell you what they fit, the throwout bearing if the application is known might be able to be had at a parts store.

the thow out fork if you found what the application is you could call up french lake and see what they say.

Id say you might be able to use a gm thro out fork too, i have a few if you wanted to try one.

JEFF

16. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Thanks Titus - When would be a good time to come out and pull that seat riser out of that roadster?

17. Anyone try to hollander cross ref those #'s ????

18. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Back to the adapter and running into problems with the flywheel. My motor came with a stock automatic starter plate (3/4" thick). The Trans-Dapt(NC-37 adapter) list a Mopar number that references the 1-1/8" thick starter plate. My flywheel won't bolt up. see attached photos.

Attached Files:

19. titus

titus

arent we gonna thro that flywheel in the lathe and make her work??

20. ochamsrasor

ochamsrasor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call Wilcap Adapters........they have been doing it since creation and will spend the time with you to get it right. www.wilcap.com