Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 shoebox running a 49 grille???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boatride, Nov 10, 2010.

1. boatride

boatride
    from OC,CA

hey guys,
    I'm new to the board & had a few questions about the 51 Shoebox ford i just picked up. I really like the 1949 Grille.

If I change the hood, would I be able to run the 49 grille? would it bolt up? or would I have to fabricate brackets?

thanks guy...

I plan on posting pictures of my built real soon.

2. boatride

boatride
    from OC,CA

Can someone please help me... ??? or at least maybe a number to call someone...

thank you

3. It should be a straight bolt in with all the factory brackets. You'll be filling (and adding) in a few bolt holes on the fenders where the parking lights and trim work go in. The 51 hoods are highly desired so it should sell easily or maybe traded for the 49/50 style.

4. Fenders

Fenders

I would think the answer is YES.

Back in the day the aftermarket sold a piece to fill in the hairlip of the 49, I guess so you could put in the 51 grille !!

But if you like the hairlip and want to go backwards and can't find a 49 hood, just cut and fill....

Actually I like the later grille and hood, and the 50 trunk license light/handle....

5. you need the hood and the lock support plate from a 49 or 50 if your gonna sell the 51 parts im looking for a 51 upper grille bar for my 50

actually you dont need a hood if your good with a cutting wheel the hood just has a half-moon shape cut out of it

6. txag01

txag01

The 49 and 51 hoods use different hinges. The 49 hinges are junk. I believe you can take the brace out of your 51 hood, swap it into the 49 hood, and then retain your 51 hinges.

7. txag01

txag01

8. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

You would be better off installing a '50 hood with the '49 grill, and yes it will fit. The '51 hood front edge is 3/4" or so shorter along the front edge because the upper lip on the '51 grill opening sits up higher than the '49/'50 did. You will also need to swap out the hood latch panel for a '49/'50, as well as the front valance. Your fenders will be the same, but you will have to relocate your parking light holes for the '49 set up. Do not use a '49 hood or '49 hinges- they are junk and the '49 hood structure does not run the whole length along the sides of the hood like they did in '50/'51, and that is why you always see '49 hoods cracked on the back corners.

9. boatride

boatride
    from OC,CA

wow... thanks guys..

I know most people go towards the 51 grille but theres something about the 49, I really like..

once again, thanks you for everything... I'm really thankful for joining this forum