Register now to get rid of these ads!

a classic boat guy here

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by john-gibson, Nov 10, 2010.

1. john-gibson

john-gibson
    from indiana,pa

hi all,im from indiana ,pa,i dont have a hot rod yet,but i do restore old classic fiberglass boats from the 50s and 60s,but some things do carry over from boats to hotrods ,like custom paint and upholstery,i saw an article on tuck and roll seats but cant see the pictures ,oh well,its nice to be here,here is one of the boats i restored its a 1964 custom craft sunray,with fins and headlights.now im woking on a 1959 cutter jet deville,it also has fins,im just starting this resto,its red and white now but ill be blue and siver,john.p.s. the pic with mein it (the old fat guy) is the best pic i have of the interior,its from a newspaper article at a antique ad classic boat show.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. Welcome from Des Moines, Iowa! Ever heard of a Volksboat?

3. john-gibson

john-gibson
    from indiana,pa

oliver bros,thank you and yes a young fellow i knew had one,and a buddy of mine just bought the hull of one,they are small but fast,and a desirerable boat,if you need to know anything about it let me know ill send you to a site im on everyday,thats all ablout classic fiberglass boats from the 50s and 60s,even some disco glass 70s boats.john

4. john-gibson

john-gibson
    from indiana,pa

oliver heres just a small amount of info for you........In a communication from a former employee of the company, they stated that they worked for the company in 1960. The company started in the mid-50's and its office was located on S. Racine in Chicago and then moved to S. Western Ave in 1960.

The boats were fabricated in Mishiwaka, IN. In 1960 they showed them at the Boat Show in McCormick Place and they did lot's of advertising for dealers nationwide. Her father owned 10% of the company for a few years.

The president of the company was Harry Sopp, then in 1960, changed to John L. Lynch. At one point in 1960, she had 14 Volksboats stored in their garage because we couldn't sell them.

She's pretty sure she could sell all of them now with all the interst shown on the web!

Attached Files:

5. Dam, your good! That's it! I know where the hull still is at, I think. Other than that I still have the glass emblem from inside the steering wheel sitting in my toolbox. Thank you!!!!

6. john-gibson

john-gibson
    from indiana,pa

your welcome,there is a great site that i belong to for classic fiberglass boats,you would be amazed at how many old boats look like 50s and 60s cars,the site is fiberglassics.com ,tell them i sent you,lol.,i really hope putting up the site isnt against any rules,if it is please forgive this newbie here,and feel free to delete this.
    some guys over there have matching boats for their hotrods,big fins and all.