Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sometimes i envy you California guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fuzznick, Nov 10, 2010.

1. big creep

big creep

mazooma im glad some people hate california, it keeps them away! if they were not raised here they will never get it. there are other beautiful places here in our great country! but nothing comes close to living here! i could only imagine what it was like when you were a kid? man sooooo much better! and by better i mean less transplants!

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

You guys think you got it bad? Last night it got all the way down to 69 degrees here!
    Brrrr! lol

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Yeah, it's all relative...I was barely "making it", struggling to pay my bills back then, but times weren't as harsh. When I moved here from Arcadia (a whooping three miles) I was renting a nice small house for $145 but I was making $3 an hour, but I was OK with that.
    Like I said, things were simple and prices for housing was the way it should be.
    It's tragic that housing is so high.
    That part of the California dream is a real bad deal for you younger guys.
    I'm lucky I'm older, but then how many years do I have left? You never know when you are possibly putting up your last Christmas Tree...

4. Mojo

Mojo

Oh I got the joke, LOL.

I had an aunt and uncle that moved out here in '67. They bought a house in Temple City for $30,000 or so. Huge place. Sold it in '98 for $385k.

They're starting to actually get somewhat reasonable around here after "the crash". A friend of mine was looking at a 6 bedroom place on the west side of Lancaster (great place to set up a wind farm... that's sarcasm for non-desert folk) for a bit over $200k. Four years ago it was valued at $580K.

5. big creep

big creep

awwwww the great state of hawaii! how i miss you so! i love love love hawaii and its people! every time i visit i dont want to leave. now thats an amazing place! and the water! sooo clear and blue!

6. big creep

big creep

yea dont move to east lancaster or east palmdale, its not nice at all, houses are real cheap there for a reason. i forgot to ask mojo is it getting better in east palmdale? my buddy lives right buy the hill side on the west end of palmdale, and it really nice there he tells me to stay away from the east side.

7. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

LOL Is that real....That's about one step over "conversational" snow; like going into work and saying "I see it snowed a little last night" It takes at least twice that much to get a day off work. I don't mind the snow, there's a lot of different things to do in Winter, ( A guy set a world record here last Winter at the snowmobile drags they have right in the middle of town) but by the end of February I'm ready for the warmer weather.

8. I grew up in Calif. moved to wash. st. 20 years ago with all this yo-yo weather I have become BI-Solar. when the sun shines so do I. Pete.

9. cowboy.3d

cowboy.3d
    from Austin TX

We, (me, my old lady, and the dog) are looking to get out of the City. we have had enough of the snow, cold, and dark. The top two places we are looking are LA and Austin. Her family is in LA, so Austin looks better all the time! And lets face it anywhere is cheaper than here!

10. pitman

pitman

Stinky (the bum) has Austin figured out! :p

Sounds like a great place.

11. im sorry but it amuses me when i hear of people freezing to death in cali when the temp gets DOWN to the 50's BRRR

now dont flame me i dont mean the loss of life amuses me im not sick

its just that its in the 50's here today the suns bright and shiney and im in a t-shirt and just fine

im usually in a t-shirt until its in the 20's then its time for a sweatshirt

i knew someone who lived in cali a few years back said they had to work 3 full time jobs just to break even

i like here where i am for the most part weather wise , i like the breaks in the seasons and the chance to have a white christmas i couldnt get in the holiday spirit if it was 80+ outside at christmas

the only thing that i see that cali has that i really like or want and this goes for all the out west states is the lack of rust

it cracks me up when i watch one of those cali based car tv shows where they rebuild cars and they pull in this old "rusty junker" from a junkyard and one of the guys starts crying about haveing to replace the whole 1/4 because of a rust hole thats about the size of a baseball .....i only wish a "real" cali body man would have a heartattack if he saw what people in this part of the county have to rebuild

even my friend from north carolina when he moved up here we went to the best junkyard around here for old cars and he was like why are all these cars this rusty and im like they arent that bad they ...arent? and i had to show him a couple bad ones to prove it

it usually doesnt snow in nany measurable amounts around here till febuary but it does get brutually cold

12. angry

angry
    from ventura ca

what is this snow you speak of ???

13. belair

belair

HA- I'm listening to "Everthing is Better Here in Texas" right now on KUT. What is that white stuff-cotton?

14. This is the main problem with Cali, people are high and think that a house is cheap when its $250K. Seriously it was mass produced and is the same house as the one two doors down. The mass housing tracks of stuco and cheap builds with outrageous prices are the worst. I know its getting like this all over the place, but I live here and this is what I have to complain about. Really that is the only big complaint. I live in Downtown San Diego area and I love living in this city.

15. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

least ya know what yer truck would look like painted white .

16. Man thats funny. I see by your humor here that I have been too serious today, so no more serious face for me.

17. pitman

pitman

Sunshine, blue skies...jumper cables, salt, real livin' ;)

Attached Files:

18. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I grew up here in Cali, lived in Idaho, moved back to Cali.... and don't see it's any worse than other states I have dealt with.

I will admin DMV registration fees are worse for some things, but better on others......

Given the pros and cons.... I can't see a reason to go elsewhere....

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hey we ain't got it so easy here in California. this morning I had to wipe the dew off my windows so I could see to drive to work. even turned the heater on for a few minutes.

20. KaddyKimber

KaddyKimber
    from Denver, CO

I woke up to something very similar This morning. Colorado got its first snow of the season yesterday. I dream of warmer places further west

21. In 1988, I bought a 3 bed/1 bath home in Escondido, CA, for $88,000.
    I added a separate garage, in addition to the 2 car attached garage. Did some plumbing, re-roofed the house, did some foundation work, and that's about it.
    In March, 2005, that same home sold for $406,000, and financed a debt-free move to a brand new, paid off, 3,000 sq.ft home, 500 feet from the Ocean, in the extreme Northern part of Northern CA... Yes, it rains a lot, but we do have great weather at times... and nothing beats living in the redwoods.
    I just wish I had bought the lot next door when I had the chance ($10k) so I could have had a bitchin' shop, instead of not-so-great neighbors...
    Our DMV here knows me by name, I know most of the City/County cops and CHP, and have never had any trouble unless I asked for it....(ooops, completely sideways in 2nd and 3rd gear, CHP just looked and wagged his finger at me).....

22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I am a lifelong California. My family has been a part of SoCal since 1915 and I love California but to make a long story short, California is not what it once was. It was once a Golden state, the envy of other states, now it's a piece of Fools Gold, the laughingstock of other states. Just check out our recent elections.

23. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

53 in Sacramento right now with a high of 62.... Enjoy that snow! ;)

24. big creep

big creep

its beautiful up there! but my favorite place in the whole state is san simeon! they have or maybe by this point had a 7 acer's for sale! man i wish i had the dough for that place with two homes and right in front of the beach! right on highway one!

25. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Having lived in TN, GA, CA, VA, and now NJ.....I have to say that CA is better than NJ....NJ is rock bottom. However, CA isn't far behind. I love so much about that state, but increasing govt. intrusiveness into people's lives just sours the whole thing. I'll have none of others telling me what I have to drive, can't drive, or should be guilted into driving....neither will I have someone tell me my kid can't go get a Happy Meal with a toy. Not to mention if you like things like cool firearms and low taxes....fuhgeddaboutit. The key is to have your own business that pays a NJ or CA wage and allows you to live in the South or Midwest....that way you can travel to CA knowing full well you don't have to put up with the crap. You can also get in, get yer CA tin, and gtfo back to the fortress of solitude.

I like my govt. like I like my dogs....if it's too big to kill with my bare hands should it go apesh*t, I don't want it.

26. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

Is it already time for another bash California thread?

My favorite part of these is how Mazooma1 always gets so tetchy. I thought we native Californians were supposed to be a mellow bunch.

FWIW, I don't think it snows enough here in DE.

27. rick finch

rick finch

Hmmmm.....I want to see snow, I drive 1 1/2 hrs. to Lake Tahoe. I want to see the ocean, I drive 2 1/2 hrs. to Santa Cruz. I want to have world class food, 2 hrs. to San Francisco. 1 1/2 hrs. to the Napa Valley wineries (and Infineon Raceway). Half a day drive to GNRS, LARS and CHRR....Oh, and a 1 day drive to Bonneville.

Yup, California blows.....stay away.:rolleyes:;)

28. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

You can lead a horse to water.......

Don't forget the part about me saying there was a lot I *loved* about the state.

29. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

We put on our shoes and go to work. Someone has to support the country.

30. reminds me, gotta fix the starter on the snowblower . . .