Register now to get rid of these ads!

Veda Orr was just plain cool...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2010
    Special Ed likes this.
  2. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Thank you Jay!

That photo where you can see the seat... I've never seen...

I've been trying to figure out what they had used for a seat in there to sit that low!

4. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Veda's just it, THE hot rod girl.

For her to keep at it even when she wasn't supposed to be racing, or welcomed racing, or even recognized for her racing accomplishments shows her passion for automobiles and all things about them.

Plus to see her by her husbands side every step of the way is also really inspiring. People forget today that is how it is supposed to be; husband and wife side by side every step of the way.

Someone needs to write a book about her :rolleyes:

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Great stuff Jay!

6. she was all woman and very much a lady. I put a windshield in her Model A (I still have the decal off it in my shop) very modest about her accomplishments

7. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Bought the reprint of her book the first year I went to bonneville. Amazing lady.

8. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Sadly, she always seems to be brushed aside for the much larger
    names. Not enough has been said about her publicly. Seems as though women of that era who got naked are more popular in today's world, than women who kicked ass behind the wheel.

She's always been my favorite and always will be.....but even my husband has no clue who she was....although he better learn if he wants his deuce book. =oP

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have always loved her accomplishments as the first female of this gig. Not only as a driver, but imagine the leg work involved trying to keep everyone in this deal informed during the war! As a matter of fact, when my newest niece was born in Hong Kong this summer, I lobbied hard to name her Veda... And it damn near worked!!! The only reason she is Bianca is that everyone over there that was asked to pronounce Veda somehow put an "R" in it! Oh,well... The seed is planted!

10. HRS

HRS

Hot rod chicks in general are just plain cool.

Kinda in the same vein as cowgirls and the like....

11. sololobo

sololobo

The photos with this article seem to show her dedicated spirit to first, her husband, as I see a pride in her look as he is wrenching the carbs on the dual manifold. All the other show a very confident and extremely poised self confident lady. The picture by the shop truck is awesome, her knock out western shirt, his belt buckle worn on the side, top button of his shirt snugged up, pants are probably whites that were a trademark of a class racing team of the era. Very classy, as are the other pix. Thanks for some reflection on this wonderful lady and couple that are true beautiful history. ~Sololobo~

12. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

13. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

Great one for everyone! thanks Ryan

14. Thanx for the pic`s Jive-bomber. Pete.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Mark "Morty" Morton told me that Veda designed and contracted the casting of the now reproed 'knocker nut' hub caps for V8 & Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels.
    My wife and I do everything together, (chassis builds, engine builds, etc.)
    Best partner I ever had. (most attractive one, too)

16. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

GREAT stuff. my friend and mentor Paul Beck built a clone of Veda's 32 for the 75 most influential 32 Fords display at the GNRS a few years back. he has long been a fan of Veda Orr. his clone is incredibly accurate and built mostly from his own stash of parts.

Attached Files:

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

link fixed!

18. What a woman! Great story Jive Bomber. Are there any more pictures of the roadster in the background in this picture? Or any info. on it. That thing rules!

[​IMG]

19. RAY With

RAY With

A real talented Lady whose quest for speed was incredible. Although back in the time she really didn't get much credit she wont be forgotten. Her accomplishments will never be surpassed in the times she did it. Definitely a one of a kind Lady.

20. Agreed!! Not just a pretty face. ;-)

21. kisam

kisam

Thanks for the post! There is nothing about Veda that I don't admire. She was truely an inspiration for women then and forever!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  22. I had the pleasure of meeting Veda at the SCTA 50th party in 1988. Carl had reciently passed away, but she was in very good spirits that day.

23. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

Does anybody have pictures of their full fendered '29 roadster they used as a tow and support vehicle and also raced?

24. Hear that? Naked women are more famous than Women behind the wheel?
    Some Men should be ashamed of themselves!

25. Often wondered about Veda and Karl Orr. What a story! And the photos of them standing by the truck, by the 2x2 manifold, and by the modified - never seen them before! My dad was overseas in the pacific in 1944 - wondered if any of the SCTA guys were in his unit?
    Are there more photos of them out there? Did they have children?
    Thanks for the pics!!!