Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not another 36 ford coupe!! Not another build!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jamesville, Nov 9, 2010.

1. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

I bought this car from a guy in mexico at the end of last year and when it arrived it looked very beautiful. It started great, ran great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I drove it around for a few months, then in the beginning of May i went to a small drag race event and thought i would enter.

[​IMG]

Well not long after everything ending in a big cloud of white smoke. So i was towed home and started to rip down the engine.....

[​IMG]

and this is what i found INSIDE the engine, it is not just a small piece of cloth, it is a complete rag found right under the intake. So the decision was this, do i rebuild the flathead or find a new engine??

Much to the dismay of many of my friends and fellow hampers i decided to find myself a vintage 283 CHEVY SBC and build myself a HIGH SCHOOL hot rod form the late 50's early 60's. So i started to take the front of the car to bits to yank out the engine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As i started to take the pieces off, i started to discover more and more little surprises. What i like to call 'A Mexican Surprise', meaning a home made part. Now i am not talking about a bracket here and there, i am talking serious parts!! Here is a list, the shackles, front and rear springs, shock mounts, running boards, front fenders (kind of), and my favorite 1936 backing plates converted to juice brakes. Now i am not saying it was badly made, just home made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the photo above you can see that they welded the shock mount onto the radius rod. In the next photo you can see the homemade shackle and a bolt that is filling a hole i guess.

[​IMG]

The old tired Flathead, is was once a wish of mine but now i need a little more power for a little less money. The gearbox is staying! it will just be filled with those desirable Lincoln gears. ( i know its more for bragging rights but hey i like to brag).

[​IMG]

Here is some beautiful patch work. 'hey what are you hiding under there??'

[​IMG]

Ohhh that!!

2. hasty

hasty

Sorry if I am jumping in here out of turn, but nice car, nice shop and nicely told. You can generally tell on build threads that start out with the intention to do very little that they are going to run and run. I am looking forward to this one.

3. Steve 38

Steve 38

First thing I noticed when I looked at your second photo was that the back wheels seemed to sit too far back within the wheelarch, and I thought then this might be a thread about a hokie build job thats been covered up with shiny paint. But hey, on the plus side, you have a 36 3 window, it'll be a damn cool car when you've finished with it, it'll be personalised to your tastes, and you'll know the thing inside out.

4. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Wow, that sure went downhill quick! Sure looked like a nice car on the surface.

5. lawman

lawman

Nice. Go for it !!!!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

6. fitzee

fitzee

You never know what you are buying do you. I wonder what is under that paint.

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

Oh man... I can only imagine. :(

8. big bad john

big bad john

.......Its going to turn out okay......you will plently of years of enjoyment when its done.........and a lot of stories to tell......Good luck and keep us posted.....Big Bad John

9. Cool build and like the way car sat. Are you going to return it too the same way it sat before.

10. And now you can have the "bragging" rights, to say you built it. I have a feeling this car is going to turn out great. Keep us posted.

11. That will definitely be cool when your done. Every time I check out a post like this, I feel much better about the quality of my welds. Good luck!

12. 510madmav

510madmav

I say strip her down!

13. SteadyT

SteadyT

What was the shirt in the motor about???????!!!!!!

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well I thought I had a cool car until I seen this one James. Damn that's one sexy coupe and it's going to look and run great with the chevy engine in there. You won't regret it man!

15. fitzee

fitzee

I think that was a old trick for quieting down a noise engine. Seen it done on straight six engine to quit the tappets

16. big creep

big creep

you know it not that bad, man with the way you found everything thats was all fucked up. looks like its going to be cherry when you get done with it! it is beautiful!

17. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Would ya want to mention WHO you bought it from? DD

18. All and all it looks pretty solid.Your gonna have a real nice car when your done.

19. scotti32

scotti32

Wow, that is my cars sister. I am subscribing to this thread with keen interest.

20. who sold you the car ???? but at least you have your self a 3w now....

21. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

I hate 36 3-windows, especially maroon ones.

22. You sure it's not a T dressed as a 36 LOL. I love these cars. It will be perfect when it is the way you want it. Enjoy!!!

23. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Well, at least you have a 36 3W :). I am sure you will sort it all out, but it is a bit of a disappointment when you dive into it.

24. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

More shall be revealed.

Good Luck

25. Good talking with you earlier.

Look forward to the buildup.

26. Kustom Leatherworks

Kustom Leatherworks
    from Milwaukee

I've seen worse. You ever seen the frame stuffed with aluminum foil then bondo over that?. We're gonna have to shank that mexican who sold you that.

27. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

thanks for all the comments, and yes the wheels were not in the center of the wheel arches ?? another reason for the rip-down.

OK so where were we, it was not all bad it came with original 39 Banjo steering wheel, 39 master cylinder, later 40's Mercury back drums, the body was very nice (as far as i can tell), the interior was nice (not original but nice),

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First to sandblast the frame and get that cleaned up, i could just mange to squeeze it into my van.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When i got it back it was not too bad, i have seen a lot worse. i discovered though that the left hand side front cross member was held on with just one rivet. Very scary. so i started cutting out the rot and filling it with patches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i tried to tidy up some of the cuts in the frame for the 39 brake/clutch pedals that were on the car.

28. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

29. HRod 50

HRod 50

Beautiful car man, wow scary when you guys who know about cars get taken. Not that this is bad but just something to think about for guys who buys things sight unseen, and know very little about cars.. Like yours truly.. Took my Merc in for a new tank and baggiing the suspension. That was last November 2009, and doesnt look like I'll get my car back this year..Hahahah......:(

30. Big Nick

Big Nick

From rags to riches! Sorry guys I had to do it. I like this, cause I know I am in for it once I start diggin into my chevy. It gives us all hope!