Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead to 360 swap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chi-poo, Apr 1, 2006.

1. I need some info on a motor swap.

First the car is a 50 dodge coronet6 cyl flathead 2 door.

So what i need to know is will a 360 with a 727 trans fit?

Will the rear end hold up?

Has anyone else done this kind of swap?

2. The 360 will fit I've seen 'em with Big Blocks and Hemis.
    The rear should hold for a bit, but you should probably put a stouter rear under it. Later 83/4 from a dart or perhaps a B body, 9" from a '547-9 Ford? or. . .

3. Flatman

Flatman

It should, just about anything is possible if you have the patience, time and ingenuity... You've probably got tones of room for the engine, crawl underneath with a measuring tape and measure all the dimensions you can and do some comparison. I'm not sure about the rear end, but you'll probably have to get a new driveshaft at any rate...
    My .02,
    Flatman

4. thanks for the info!

i have a drive shaft w/yoke to fit the trans.

so cutting it down will not be a problem.

i was kinda worried about the rear end being stout enuff.

i will do some mesureing/figureing on the inner fender wells.

i think they may need a little trimming.

5. 50 Biz Coupe

50 Biz Coupe

chi poo

hows that swap coming along? i just swapped in a 440" in my 50 dodge and am shopping around locally for an 8 3/4 rear end.

6. dodgit

dodgit

chi poo I just read your post. A little late I just joined 2 wks. ago I also have a 50 cornet coupe that I just pulled the flathead out and going in with a 360, and 727A. I believe I have a 8/34A rear end. Is there any thing you can tell me about this swap that would be helpful. Like what did you end up doing on the drive shaft,or what did you use. Motor mounts, what kind I would like to see your coupe do you have any pics. Maybe send some to me thru email . At this point any info would be much appreciated. Dodgit

7. If you guys would use the search function at the top you will find more reading and answers that will keep you busy for days.

8. George

George

I suspect that's how they found a dead thread from '06!:)