Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Sorry if this one's already been posted. It's Wayne Trinkle of Jeffersonville, Ind., at Dayton in 1970. From the Vegas Oldtimer's collection...

[​IMG]

2. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

Always wondered what my father's '69 Torino with a vinyl top would look like as a stock car!

3. Rewindme

Rewindme
    from Erwin, Tn.

It stands for Bonner's Bad Ass Race Car. Sent an email to Phil Bonner and this is what he told me.

4. DRH556

DRH556

Glad to see some posts on here as things had kinda stopped for a while....Funny how the Ford fastbacks of the late '60's gave way to the notchbacks in the mid '70's. Just shows that Wayne Trinkle was ahead of his time!!!!!

5. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I hope to get more on in the winter months. Got a pile of stuff from Andy Vertrees last spring from the old Fairgrounds, Kentucky Motor Speedway, and Louisville Speedway. Depends on the health.

6. Rewindme

Rewindme
    from Erwin, Tn.

Yell it stand for Bonners Bad Ass Race Cars

7. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Here's another interesting one - this car towed to New Bremen at a 1970 or 1971 ARCA race from Michigan. Once there the regular driver's name was covered up with tape and Jay Wyatt drove the car that week. Rent-a-drivers aren't new - seen it happen many times. However, I don't remember seeing this car at an ARCA race earlier, or ever again. It was a well prepared Plymouth - does anybody know who the owner / team was ?

Nice Pic o' the Day. Love them Plymouths

The Oldtimer

[​IMG]

8. Fast1ron

Fast1ron
    from Indiana

Some Dave Sorg of Fort Wayne Indiana pics

View attachment 1145225

Circa late 50’s, driver Dave Sorg #38, 1955-56 Ford Fairlane at ??? This could be at the old 3/8’s mile, South Anthony Speedway in Ft. Wayne, IN before it closed down. Sponsor: Henry’s Bar & Grill, Ft. Wayne, IN.

View attachment 1145226

Circa late 1950’s, driver Dave Sorg #38, 1955-56 Ford Fairlane at ??? This could be at the old 3/8’s mile, South Anthony Speedway in Ft. Wayne, IN before it closed down. Sponsor: Big Daddy’s Pizza, Ft. Wayne, IN

View attachment 1145227

Circa Sep. 1962 as dated on back of photo, driver Dave Sorg #38, at what I believe to be at Baer Field Raceways, in Ft. Wayne, IN. Baer Field opened for the racing season in 1962, so this photo could be the 1963 racing season. Sponsor: Unknown.

View attachment 1145228

Circa 1967-68 ARCA Late Model stock car, 1962 Ford Fairlane, Driver: Dave Sorg at New Bremen Speedway, New Bremen, Ohio.

View attachment 1145229

Circa 1970 driver Dave Sorg #38, 1967 Mercury Cyclone, ASA Late Model before start of 30 lap feature at Baer Field Raceways, Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

View attachment 1145230

Circa 1970 Daytona Speedweeks, driver Dave Sorg #47 ARCA Daytona Stock Car. Sponsor: Howard’s Photo Lab, Ft. Wayne, Indiana

9. Fast1ron

Fast1ron
    from Indiana

More Dave Sorg

View attachment 1145239

Circa 1968 driver Jim Martin & team #98, 1964 Chevrolet Chevelle, ARCA Late Model & Chevrolet Hauler, Sponsor: Howard’s Photo Lab and Driver Dave Sorg & Team #38 1962 Ford Fairlane, Primary Car & #39 1964 Ford Fairlane, Backup Car ARCA Late Model & Ford Hauler, Sponsors: Pequinot Auto Sales & Howard’s Photo Lab, Ft.Wayne, IN.

View attachment 1145240

Circa May 1969, driver Dave Sorg, #38 1962 Ford Fairlane ARCA Late Model Primary Car. Picture taken at parking lot of Howard’s Photo Lab, Ft. Wayne, IN. before the start of the 1969 racing season at Baer Field Raceways, Ft. Wayne.

View attachment 1145241

Circa 1967-68 driver Dave Sorg & Team #38 1962 Ford Fairlane, Primary Car & #39 1964 Ford Fairlane, Back up ARCA Late Models and Hauler taken in parking lot of Quimby Village shopping center, Ft. Wayne, IN. Sponsors: Pequinot Auto Sales & Howard’s Photo Lab, Ft. Wayne, IN.

View attachment 1145242

Circa 1967-68 driver Dave Sorg #38 1962 Ford Fairlane, Primary Car & #39 1964 Ford Fairlane, Back up ARCA Late Models and Hauler taken in parking lot of Quimby Village shopping center, Ft. Wayne, IN. Sponsors: Pequinot Auto Sales & Howard’s Photo Lab, Ft. Wayne, IN.

View attachment 1145243

Circa 1972, ASA Late model stock car, #38 Driver, Dave Sorg, 1970-72 Chevrolet Chevelle at Toledo Speedway, Toledo, Ohio. Dave's second Dri-Powr 400 win at Winchester Speedway came in this car.

View attachment 1145244

Circa 1970-71, ASA Late Model, Driver, Dave Sorg after feature win at Baer Field Raceways, Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

View attachment 1145245

Circa 1970 driver Dave Sorg #38, 1967 Mercury Cyclone, ASA Late Model before qualifying at Dri-Powr 400 Winchester Speedway, Winchester, Indiana. Dave went on and won this race. His first of two Dri-Powr 400 victories.

10. Fast1ron

Fast1ron
    from Indiana

Some Canadian's at Baer Field Raceway

View attachment 1145250

Circa 1971-72, Canadian driver, Don Biederman #43, 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle after a 30 lap feature win at Baer Field Raceways, Ft. Wayne, IN. Sponsor: Castrol GTX Oil.

View attachment 1145251

Circa 1971-72, Canadian driver, Earl Ross #13 (1984 NASCAR Rookie of the year) 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle after a 30 lap feature win at Baer Field Raceways. Sponsors: McKichan Brothers Garage & Hickory Corners Collision & Body Shop.

View attachment 1145252

Circa 1971-72, Canadian driver, Earl Ross #13 (1984 NASCAR Rookie of the year) 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle, at speed during qualifying, Baer Field Raceways, Ft. Wayne, IN. Sponsors: McKichan Brothers Garage & Hickory Corners Collision & Body Shop.

11. Fast1ron

Fast1ron
    from Indiana

Larry Moyer 1981 ARCA Champion

View attachment 1145281

Brand new car at Winchester. Built by Wayne Lensing a real short track car. Offset chassis, low roof, lexan windshield....I will never forget Churchill looking over the car and saying " that ain't no ARCA car" lol

View attachment 1145282

A lap 4 or 5 crash started by the 77 car when he was being lapped blew his motor going into turn 3 and oiled the track down. Bob Dotter 76, Marvin Smith 1, Scott Stovall 0 and Larry were all collected. Marvin Smith went on to win.

View attachment 1145283

The car after being rebuilt almost won at Baer Field ARCA race until a flat tire took Larry out of the hunt.

View attachment 1145284

12. Fast1ron

Fast1ron
    from Indiana

13. lawman

lawman

Gosh,I love those old pictures !!!!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

14. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I wouldn't mind seeing more pic and stats on the 57, that looks nice!

15. allstarracing

allstarracing

Salem ARCA raceI think 1974, Butch tinkle had a 69-72 nova with 6 to 8 inch fender bubbles and a ton of bondo on it. On the first lap of the heat race he was on the outside and the driver on the inside lost it on going into the first turn and put Trinkle into the wall. That car exploded like a bomb going off. Slabs of bondo some three to four inches thick flew everywhere. Spectators could sit in the grass at the end of the grandstands and they were covered with bondo dust. Some of the bondo was found seventy five feet outside of the track. Allstarracing

16. allstarracing

allstarracing

Dennis Caves and I were pitted just to the left of the scales at salen when Sweet set the world record for a half mile in the ASA bodied car. He set the record on his first qualifing lap then spun off turn four on the second lap destroying the car. We were ducking flying fiberglass as a lot of the body came into the pits. I picked up the drivers side quarter panel with the fuel quick fill and part of the rear spoiler. Later I used it on some of my cars. He then built the car shown here and reset the record at Winchester Ind. I think.

17. Falconred

Falconred

That Randy Sweet car was real scary up close. He brought it down to Georgia International (now Gresham Motorsports park) and used the shop to put all those panels on before going to the track. All those braces converging on the roll cage around the driver. If he had turned over it looked like they would act as spears. That thing was mid engine, big block, and had tires like a modified on the back. I had never seen such wide tires on an asphalt car.

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I was flagging the day Randy went for the record at Winchester. He told me he'd take two or three laps, then when he raised his hand, he wanted the green flag next time around and to start the clock. I never looked at the car close, but I wondered how big the nitrous bottle was. I was told that C.J. Rayburn, who also had one of those big record cars with panels all over it, had a 20-pound bottle.

19. hanley_72

hanley_72

20. Falconred

Falconred

Rayburn was there that same weekend at GA Int., he had what looked a lot like a dirt car with a huge wing on top like a sprint car except twice as wide. I wish I could remember what they turned but my feble mind can't bring it back. If Rob was still with us he would probably remember.

21. lawman

lawman

Those are great stories !!!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

22. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Speaking of Dave Sorg.......

Here's a shot from 1966 or 1967 at Kil-Kare. Dave visited there occasionally. Always ran well.

Enjoy

the Oldtimer

[​IMG]

23. LagunaKen

LagunaKen
    from Wisconsin

That #13 car is near Eau Claire,WI now and is for sale right now.Cal lthe Eau Claire Trading Post.

24. LagunaKen

LagunaKen
    from Wisconsin

25. Falconred

Falconred

Seeing all these Fairlanes brings back many memories. We ran a '66 and a '63 back in the dark ages. Does anyone have photos of the Tootle Estes Fairlane?

H-M built a couple of '64 Fairlanes and tested them at Atlanta to try to run them in NASCAR but they weren't aerodinamic enough. I had a news paper article about them I kept from that time but can't seem to find it anymore.

26. kibbie girl

kibbie girl

Hey! My Dads Sportsmen STILL looks and is built like its out of the 70's...and he keeps up with 'em! :cool:

27. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I'll bet Rocky Estes has some photos. I'll have to ask Chuck Davis, our flagman at Corbin, to check with him the next time I talk to Chuck.

28. Also on a certain red Fairlane I know about....:D

29. greenfieldkid

greenfieldkid

Buddy O'Connor with his 1954 PRA chmpionship winning car at Claridge Speedway and 12 years later with his 1966 PRA (Pittsburgh Racing Assn.) championship winning car on the front straight at Heidelberg Raceway. Both cars were maroon and gold.

30. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Great stuff, greenfieldkid. Thanks...